Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 9:16pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
GP2CLE (and back again - a Hobbit's tale) (Read 6542 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

GP2CLE (and back again - a Hobbit's tale)
Apr 12th, 2008, 8:47pm

More later, but for now, to quote Bones Mccoy:

"He's dead, Jim!"

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: GP2CLE (and back again - a Hobbit's tale)
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2008, 9:43pm

If the 20 miles I rode northbound from Palmer to Lancaster at 3PM today was any indication, you folks had a LONG, TOUGH haul for the last 60+ km today...   Sad   Shocked

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2008, 11:08pm

Like our Carbon Aero friend Beertruck told me on a Briar Oaks ride earlier this year ,wind makes you stronger ,chip-seal makes you meaner. Well,I feel both after today's 200k ride(not so much chip seal).

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2008, 11:13pm

...and for the record ,Greg rode REALLY strong today. Congrats to EV Blazer on completing his first 200K ,Ray for completing his 2nd consecutive R-12 award , Nelson for organizing a great ride(and ride leader) ,& Peggy rode strong as usual(but passed out from exhaustion in the bedroom).  

It was a very good ride.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2008, 7:29am

Quote from Strada177 on Apr 12th, 2008, 11:13pm:
...(but passed out from exhaustion in the bedroom).

"Exahustion in the bedroom"???   Way to go, STEVE!!!!     Grin

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2008, 11:47am

Grin @ Paul.

Yesterday was fun - until the last 10 miles, when I hit a wall.  Our pace was pretty relaxed, and I don't know if that's why this was the easiest 200k I've ever attempted, but I think it was a combination of things:

1.  Relaxed pace - our end time was 11.5 hours.  Quite a few little stops in the beginning, including everyone taking an extra bbreak so I could get breakfast on the way - thanks Guys.
2.  New mix  - ratio of 4:1 unflavored perpetuem to lemon-lime accellerade.  Tasted like lemon cream pie.  Yummy!
3.  Cool temps
4.  Made sure to reapply sunscreen often - poor Nelson is fried like a pork rind!
5.  Taking a dose of caffeine earlier rather than later.
6.  solid food.  I had a taquito with bacon and egg at lancaster, a chicken sub at rio vista, and a payday protein at cleburne.  I really should have had some solid food at that last gas station we stopped at and didn't.  As a result, I got a little ill on the way home, but the stomach settled by bedtime.
7.  The best company, of course.  Lots of good conversation on and off the bike.

I usually hit a wall around mile 60-70.  My breathing gets shallow and panicky - like my breathing gets restricted.   I noticed on my first 200k that caffeine and sugar open my airways back up and calm me down.  Getting the caffeine pre-emptive at cleburne this time, and again later on, really worked to keep that away.  Instead I didn't hit the wall until we turned off of 157, and was mostly turning the pedals until then.

Definitely the easiest 200k I've done so far, and I think I've proved that I will be able to survive calvin's challenge, so I'm gonna sign myself up for it tonight.  Goal is 200 miles in 12 hours.

I wonder if we'll ever seen poor Evblazer again.  He either wasn't talking much because:
A) We creeped him out (definite possibility) or
B) He was conserving his energy for the road ahead

But the guy held up like a trooper - he could have turned around at any time and stuck it out instead.  The dude has cojones grandes.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2008, 4:01pm

You and all this easiest 200k stuff Tongue Personally it was my hardest 200k. ok fine it was my only 200k and only ride over 75 miles in over a decade and actually my only group ride ever.
Y'all made it very easy on me and provided alot of support and encouragement. I probably would have been worse off turning back early by myself then sticking with everyone so thanks for taking a casual pace. I'm glad I didn't wait for italy to roll around with the looped course since it would have been pretty easy to turn off after the first lap.

As for talking there was some points here and there where my HR was pretty high and I couldn't really talk and breath. Overall though it is probably due to the fact that I'm pretty much a pretty quiet person and keep to myself. Outside of work, till yesterday, I'm pretty sure beside a hello or thank you I haven't talked to anyone since I moved here 4 years ago. Even at work I can go weeks without saying more then hello to someone since everyone I know is gone for one reason or another.

I think the only lasting pain I have is a 1" band just above my knee where my shorts must have slid up or rubbed off the sun screen. So now on my legs I have my heavy tan a dark dark red band and then pure white. I think I'm going to pass on that mountain climbing ride y'all are going on. With gear I easily max out the weight capacity of the giro 26 since I've gained like 15 lbs since I got it?? So hills take alot to ride and I have pretty weak everything so until I drop some weight and don't suck so bad up hills I'll be pretty much a flatlander for longer rides.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2008, 6:40pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Apr 13th, 2008, 7:29am:
Quote from Strada177 on Apr 12th, 2008, 11:13pm:
...(but passed out from exhaustion in the bedroom).

"Exahustion in the bedroom"??? Way to go, STEVE!!!! Grin

If only I could take the credit ,but I like the support anywho!

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2008, 8:25pm

Quote from evblazer on Apr 13th, 2008, 4:01pm:

As for talking there was some points here and there where my HR was pretty high and I couldn't really talk and breath. Overall though it is probably due to the fact that I'm pretty much a pretty quiet person and keep to myself. Outside of work, till yesterday, I'm pretty sure beside a hello or thank you I haven't talked to anyone since I moved here 4 years ago. Even at work I can go weeks without saying more then hello to someone since everyone I know is gone for one reason or another.

Well, hanging out will us will certainly fix that!  We're all gabbers.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #9 - Apr 13th, 2008, 8:59pm

A big THANKYOU for making this a great ride guys (and gal).  I had a wonderful time and it is really all about the company!  The wind and the road conditions (and dogs!) were pretty gnarley, and could have spoiled the ride, but not with great folks to talk too!  EVBlazer extremely proud of you for coming out and sailing through your first 200K like a trooper.  I'm new enough to it that I still remember the experience of knowing I was on the longest ride I'd ever done and heading into the unknown of how my body would respond, and would I be able to do it.  I'm sending out the paperwork tomorrow, and will hopefully have some pics back in a day or two.

Thanks!
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #10 - Apr 14th, 2008, 4:29pm

Nelson ,thanks for navigating. We all had cue sheets. That's not fair to ask you to navigate for all of us. I kinda looked at mine periodically. I did navigate the last 20 miles or so(especially during those last few miles thru the neighborhood when doubting Ray said "this isn't the way we came " & I said according to the cue sheet this is how we should be going. And the cue sheet was correct).  

Now I know why the randonneurs call Ray "wrong way ray". Sorry Ray, just messin' with you. Congrats on the R-12 award...AGAIN!

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #11 - Apr 15th, 2008, 12:12am

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #12 - Apr 15th, 2008, 9:07am

Is it just my eyesight, or does Mark have on one black sock and one white sock? Do you have another pair just like that one at home, Mark?

« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2008, 9:08am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #13 - Apr 15th, 2008, 9:23am

Quote from Bud_Bent on Apr 15th, 2008, 9:07am:
Is it just my eyesight, or does Mark have on one black sock and one white sock? Do you have another pair just like that one at home, Mark?

I wish I was capable of such bold fashion statements  Cheesy
That is just my ankle brace on my recently twisted ankle so the peroneal tendon didn't keep rubbing across my ankle and flare up.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #14 - Apr 15th, 2008, 11:28am

Bud(Eagle eyes) ,if you noticed EV-Blazers brace ,I hope you noticed Greg & I chocking down a "Bud" in your honor? For a beer snobs such as Greg & myself ,that was the ultimate sacrifice(OK, it wasn't horrible ,but I've had a lot better beers).

I wonder if RUSA would approve(drinking & riding)? What happens on a ride ,stays on a ride!

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print