Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 9th, 2024, 5:55pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Michelin Pro Race 2 (Read 3107 times)
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Michelin Pro Race 2
Apr 3rd, 2008, 1:59pm

Well until today I've been very pleased with my 650x23C Michelin Pro Race 2's I mounted up after wearing out my first 2 sets of Kenda Kalientes.  I've been pleased with the ride and speed as both are improvements over the Kalientes, a little pricier, but I got a great deal on ebay so they were pretty close.  Unfortunately though I had a pretty signifigant blow out last night with no immediate cause found.  Today when pumping up my tires to pressure I noticed the tube starting to escape from a truly nasty shoulder cut on the tire, bad enough that a boot will likely not save the tire.  I've only got about 500 miles on this set, and I'm a little ticked.  I know there is a trade off on speed vs longetivity, but now I'm doing the whole tire evaluation thing all over again.  I've had good luck with the Stelvio's in 26x1.1" but they're never discounted so almost a hundred dollars for a set of tires is a bit too much!  Anybody have a recommendation in the 650x23C my Corsa takes.  I've resisted the Conti Ultra gatorskins for a long time, I'm prejudiced against treads I can't bend, but my desire is for a Rando capable 650c tire that still rolls well.  My main concern over the Kalientes was how fast they wore.  1800-2000 miles a set.  My Stelvio's on the Rando wheels are closing on 3000 miles and only look half done at best.

Opinions welcome!

Take Care,
Nelsin.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Michelin Pro Race 2
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2008, 3:42pm

So many of the rando guys use Mich Pro race 2s that I expect yours was a freak accident.  I'm fairly sure that sometimes stuff happens that would destroy any tire out there except perhaps marathon plus', and they're tank treads.

That being said, I picked up a pair of Conti Gp 4000 with the new black chili compound - supposed to be as fast but with extra stick factor.  I'm not putting them on until the current junk kendas are gone though.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2008, 4:09pm

Nelson ,sorry to hear about the tire issues.  

We've been using the Michelin Ironman tires(not much difference from the Pro race 2 tires that I can tell). On a recent MS-150 training ride across Joe Pool dam ,I had a chunk of tire removed by some foreign object(I found this out after I inspected the tires post ride).

I found a website that has Hutchinson Brand 650 tri-tires(the same specs as the Michelin's) for $29.95 a tire(https://www.greenfishsports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2724) .  

Another website( http://bethelcycle.com/page.cfm?pageID=227)  I was on, rated the Hutchinson's as the 2nd best road tire on the market(behind the Vittoria Open Corsa).  In their opinion the Conti Grand Prix 4000 were the worst rain tire.

The Hutchinson's have low rolling resistance ,puncture protection(Kevlar) ,& are lightweight. Besides at $29.95 ,they're HALF the price of the Michelin's. Also ,the Hutchinson tires are pre-stretched at the factory,while most other tire mfgs. allow for stretching after mounting.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2008, 8:13pm

Hmm,  the Hutchinson sounds pretty good, I'll have to check them out.  I'm giving the Pro Race 2's one more chance, picked up one on the way home, but consider it strike 1.5, next time and they're out.  

I notice Maxxis is making 650c's now too.  

Take Care,
Nelson.

« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2008, 8:28pm by Kwijybow »  

Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2008, 8:53pm

Nelson ,I spoke with Foo-rider & few others & all said very positive things about past experiences with Hutchinson tires. I've seen other reviewers post comments about how they prefer the Hutchinson over thew Michelin Ironman tire.  

Here are the specs for the Hutchinson tri-tire.  

http://www.hutchinson-pneus.com/us/pneu-route/fusion2triathlon.pdf

I will be installing my tires as soon as they arrive via UPS(tomorrow) ,so they will be on the bike for Tour Dallas & the Rbent ride Saturday. I can offer a better opinion then.

Also ,I found the Bethel cycle tire review interesting on several levels. The review mentioned desirable "crit" tires. When I read that ,I thought of your Crit riding.

-Steve

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2008, 8:55pm

Also ,Pro Race 2's aren't exactly cheap(nor are the Ironman tires). The Irnoman tires retail for $54 a piece at PCF.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2008, 9:12pm

Yes that was a good write up, I sure see everyone talking up the Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX, maybe some day I'll spring for a set, but I've put the hutchison on the queue for my next set of performance tires.  I've been ducking the crits for the last couple of weeks.  I really should get my butt in gear, but I looked at the pictures of this weeks crit, and there were alot of riders,  hmm a little concerned that every week there is an incident.  Remember I've become quite trauma *averse*.  Hey any of you USCF licensed people with a DF want to join me next week?

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2008, 9:44pm

Sorry, finally sold the upright when I decided for sure to have the foot surgery - no sense having a tri bike when you ain't gonna be doing tris for a year at least.

They won't allow bents in the crit?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2008, 11:36pm

No bents, would be unfair you know Wink  The last couple of weeks I've going out other nights to the crit course when the fast guys are doing group intervals and sprints.  The Corsa does especially well on the intervals,  sprints are tougher, keep pushing myself off the slick ventesit seat.  Still usually middle of the pack on the sprints, sometimes win the intervals by hundreds of yards!  I'm afraid that wouldn't go over well in a race.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #9 - Apr 4th, 2008, 8:06am

Quote from Kwijybow on Apr 3rd, 2008, 11:36pm:
No bents, would be unfair you know Wink The last couple of weeks I've going out other nights to the crit course when the fast guys are doing group intervals and sprints. The Corsa does especially well on the intervals, sprints are tougher, keep pushing myself off the slick ventesit seat. Still usually middle of the pack on the sprints, sometimes win the intervals by hundreds of yards! I'm afraid that wouldn't go over well in a race.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Yeah ,like carbon fiber frames  ,etc.. are "fair"? To me ,if it requires pedaling ,let it race! Where is the crit course??

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #10 - Apr 4th, 2008, 9:47am

*shrug* I know Jim Verheul's area lets him ride in the crits, and he often wins. But I get tired of banging my head against those walls and have to settle for beating them on the distance rides.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #11 - Apr 4th, 2008, 11:19am

Ofcourse the amount a carbon frame helps you in a crit is well nigh undetectable.  A bent is mainly helpful if you have the power to get away, the aero advantage proves very useful there.  For pack riding and tactics involving quick accelerations not so much.  The crit race that JV reports on is a bandit race.  No officials, No prizes, No legal status (possible illegal), and No insurance, in other words much like the RBM saturday morning ride without the Bike shop involved  Wink.  You have to admit that they are in fact correct.  The whole point is to make racing the proper balance of skill and ability.  When the machinery intrudes too heavily it has to be controlled thus the rules.  Different games have different rules.  You don't see F1 cars in Nascar for instance.  I wish that bents were more popular and could support a more robust racing scene, but that's not likely to change for awhile.  The USCF makes provisions for them as we see at HCTT, its just there are so few its not economically feasible for promoters to include them.  Its why I'm so thankful that Kevin did.

Take Care,
Nelson.

« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2008, 11:20am by Kwijybow »  

Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #12 - Apr 4th, 2008, 12:10pm

Speaking of racing, and our earlier power discussions I just saw this about Tyler Phinney

http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=3501

I've heard he maintained 550-600 Watts for the race, with peaks at 1000.  Thats at least 7W/Kg World class at 18, Wow!  His Dad creamed me several times back in the 80's, one time memorably at the Athens Twilight Criterium where he won every prime and the race and the rest of us could do nothing but watch helplessly.  Tyler has cycling genes from Mom and Dad (Connie and Davis)!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #13 - Apr 4th, 2008, 12:28pm

Yupyup - I agree.  That's why I paid my money and showed up, even though it was painful to do so.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #14 - Apr 4th, 2008, 1:06pm

I'm sorry but SWB recumbents have an unfair crit advantage over LWB recumbents, in that they can corner more sharply...   (at least more sharply than MINE) Cheesy

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #15 - Apr 4th, 2008, 1:40pm

Hey Paul you could just go Road Warrior on em an take their (our) scrawny machines out!  Grin

I wonder if there is anyway convenient for us to get together once and awile for a little spirited joint training.  I go to the crit course in Plano fairly regularly, but I know that's not very convenient for alot of folks (I work a few miles away).  Usually some roadies out there every day.  

Peggy said she was doing stuff on College Ave. in Frisco A pretty good interval place.  There is also the place over in Fort Worth where the TBi Wed. crits are held.  Texas Motor Speedway, although the last 2 are a haul for me, but might be fun.  Also Ray and I are backing off the Randonneuring a bit, maybe we could meet up at a pay ride in the future for a little Rally Racing.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print