Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 5:17pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tuesday Rain (Read 941 times)
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Tuesday Rain
Mar 19th, 2008, 9:09pm

Well the tuesday rain storm was pretty fun for my commute home and test out the all weatherness I was hoping to get with the giro 26. While I was moving the wind was fine but once I stopped it was a chore to keep upright. Still lots better then my merlin and especially better then my xtracycle in the wind.

I was soaked within minutes from above but it was nice having a recumbent with a high bottom bracket to keep my shoes from being soaked like they become on my DF bikes. The extra lighting I have seemed to help and my new mirrors helped keep an eye on traffic moving over well in back of me. The giro even kept upright without much effort when I mistakenly went through the heavy sand on the 121 service road shoulder. Overall a pretty successful ride in the rain but I completly wore out my legs doing it.

Here are some pics of my new lights and reflective tape on my bike. I removed the brainbox to let it dry out. FYI: The navaro commuter bags rain cover is completely inneffective with the low rack on the bacchettas.

Mark Hastings
Hurricane & Oregon - Need to lose weight to ride, I hate my new meds Sad
Merlin Road - Short distance speed bike
Fuji Touring Xtracycle Shopping Hauler Bike
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Tuesday Rain
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2008, 9:14pm

ooh1  I wanna try out your extracycle sometime.  I have visions of a rans rocket xtracycle!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2008, 9:35pm

Yeah that recumbent xtracycle is pretty neat. I wonder if you could really haul heavy stuff on it as easily though since in my brief recumbent experience it seems you dont' really have that much leverage over the bike.
Xtracycle home after my old 20+ mile rt commute

Before I had my ikea blue bags a little shopping trip

Towing my wifes back home from work when she was on call and didn't want to use the rack

Actually got my wife to take a ride on the back once but we only went around her parking lot at work.

« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2008, 9:35pm by evblazer »  

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2008, 10:01pm

love it!  Still wanna try one out.  Even an upright!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2008, 6:17pm

Love all the reflectors and lights, good looking machine. My Tango is only 18" off the deck, so I have to wait for flood waters to subside during heavy rains. That DF is really cool, I like the whole self sustained ride thing going on there.  Cool I wonder if a disk brake on the front might come in handy with a full load, or do the standard brakes work ok under load?

« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2008, 6:19pm by jman »  

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
evblazer
Five Star Member

Restricted from
Riding Long Distance
or Hills

Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2008, 6:33pm

I use tectronic brake pads front and back.  

They work really well even on a heavy load in the rain. There only weakness seems to be when it gets below freezing one of the pads gets really hard and sqeels a bit. Still stops well though.
I find that you can't go very fast once you put over 100lbs back there on my bike as it is a little rubbery. I have thought about a disc but the fuji has a 1" threaded fork which limits my options a bit and the current brakes are afterall pretty rock solid.

Mark Hastings
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #6 - Mar 21st, 2008, 8:37pm

Went down the WRL trail last night -- here's a bit of destruction resulting from all the water:  The fence beside the golf course, where the path cuts under Greenville....

And here's part of the cleanup crew working on the southeast corner of the lake...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Mar 22nd, 2008, 5:08pm

Looks like Spring cleaning on the trail,Paul .Good shots of the mess the high water made.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print