Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Jun 26th, 2024, 1:26pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Keen cycling sandals - review (Read 426 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Keen cycling sandals - review
Mar 17th, 2008, 8:19pm

Got a pair of the new Keen cycling sandals, as reviewed on BROL a couple weeks ago.  I don't normally order shoes online, but decided to give these a shot.   I have a pair of 45/46 Lake sandals that I've had a year or so, and normally wear "E/Wide" type shoes, and the Lake Sandals are wide enough to wear socks with (although I've never tried multiple pairs for winter).  I haven't been real happy with the Lakes, because one of the straps pinches the side of my foot a bit, despite the decent width.

I ordered size 11.  They look a little narrow, so I tried them without socks, putting SPD cleats on.  The length feels OK, but the "toe box" is a little unusual.  Initially, I had the cleats all the way back, but there was slight interference at the edge of the cleat area cutout when I tried to clip in, so I moved them up about 1/8", and that worked better.

They're comfortable, and don't pinch even though they're a bit narrow -- but I won't be wearing socks with them, I don't think.  Sole stiffness is decent, and the cleats are pretty much totally protected while walking (at least when new).  

Here are some comparison photos between the Keen and the 45/46 Lake sandals.  I think an 11-1/2 might have been a closer length match.

Fit with size 11:

Width Fit with no weight on the foot:

Width Fit with weight on foot, standing:

Keen vs. Lake

Front view:

Bottom view:

Difference in groove depth:

The footbed is lightly textured, with no significant ridge at the toes:

And the special design feature helps make cars aware of you!   Grin Cheesy

Greg, I'm gonna keep them for a while...

« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2008, 10:25pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Keen cycling sandals - review
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2008, 1:57am

Well, ya gotta at least let me try em on, so I can see if they'll fit the frankenfoot!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print