Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 27th, 2024, 5:18pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reason number 400 why I hate bike's inc. (Read 1109 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reason number 400 why I hate bike's inc.
Mar 16th, 2008, 9:44pm

I joined up with their Sunday night ride which I thought would be a nice recovery ride since I did 55 miles yesterday.  Boy was I wrong.  Here is a copy of my letter to them.  Thankfully Rick was there and got me home - he's  an extremely fast rider who often does our Tuesday/Thurs training ride at Joe Pool with the hammerheads from the Texas Wheels.  Also notable cause I think he's the only black guy I've seen biking around here.  Super, Super nice guy.

I would like to request that you please update your website to reflect the change in your Sunday night led ride from the Arlington location.  The website states that the ride is a relaxed pace ride at a conversational pace and roughly an estimate of 15mph.   I am finally back on my bike after nearly 4 months off with some major foot surgery.  As such, I thought that this ride would be an excellent one, since I cannot yet use clipless pedals or closed toed shoes,  but am fine with my platforms and the sandals I am stuck wearing for a couple more weeks.

However,  at the 20 mile mark our pace was at 18mph with no signs of slowing.  We finished with well over a 17 mph average.  Had I been on this ride in November before my surgery, this would have been an easy slow ride for me, as I am normally a fairly fast rider and racer.   Prior to the ride start, the ride leader gave no instructions nor expectations and furnished no ride maps and no instructions other than "let's go."   Nor did he even seem to look back, because one other rider was actually left behind at the one stop the group made, and it was miles before he caught up.  At one point I was a full mile behind the group.  Thankfully, a local rider named Rick who knew the route slowed down to make sure I was able to get back to the shop.  

Let me stress I have no problems with there being a fast ride - I simply had no expectations that this particular ride would turn into one.  Had he mentioned he was going to be so much faster than the advertised pace I could have loaded up and gone back home.   Had he provided a map I could have done the route on my own, and had no reason to complain.  In 3-4 weeks when I am allowed to wear clipless again I will be back, because I will have no problems keeping up.   Until then I would like to ask that you change the website to relfect actual pace, or at least have the ride leader be more up front.  Had this been a novice rider wanting to try out a club-type ride for the first time, I think it would have soured them on the experience.  
Happy biking.
Greg Gross

« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2008, 1:59pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: eason number 400 why I hate bike's inc.
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2008, 11:02pm

Incidentally, I think I blew out a buttcheek.   Holy crap does it hurt.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Reason number 400 why I hate bike's inc.
Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2008, 7:21pm

LOL! I was envisioning Greg with half his butt flapping loose in the breeze like a deflated beach ball... Grin Grin Shocked

« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2008, 5:46pm by Opus the Poet »  

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2008, 8:01pm

No, that was the Mesquite Ride last year...   lips sealed

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Mar 18th, 2008, 1:56am

I hate you Paul.   cry

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #5 - Mar 18th, 2008, 1:44pm

We are talking about muscle fatigue, abrasion, some new ortho condition, gas??? undecided

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #6 - Mar 18th, 2008, 1:47pm

Muscle fatigue from hammering up those freaking hills on platforms with left side muscles that haven't seen much use since beginning of December and trying to keep up with the "ride leaders."

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2008, 11:07am

Get any response yet????

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2008, 12:03pm

(Patched back into thread -- PB)

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Today at 11:07am:
Get any response yet????  

Yeah the manager of the arlington store said they'd revise the route information to show an 17-18mph pace now, which totally defeats the purpose of a sunday recovery ride I think, and makes for almost no beginner rides.  Then he said he'd see about getting route maps printed, and thank goodness there wqere nice guys like Rick there to help poor little me get through the ride.  That was it.  Pretty appalling, but about what I expected.  

#401.      

« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2008, 1:18pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2008, 4:51pm

Reminds me of a Ft.Worth ride Eddie, Dianna and I did a few year ago and we DID get lost for a while  Shocked

« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2008, 4:52pm by jman »  

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print