Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 18th, 2024, 2:04am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Low-ness... (Read 277 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Low-ness...
Feb 5th, 2008, 4:51pm

Here's an insightful piece from the 'bent perspective from a guy who did PBP on a Lightning, talking about the false perception of being "too low" on a 'bent...

(whole article:  http://www.randonneurs.bc.ca/newsletter/submissions_2006/004_pbp-and-recumbents. html )

Will You Be Seen?

Some people who have not ridden a recumbent somehow have the idea that a recumbent is so low that there is just no way a motorist will ever see it. The height of absurdity experienced by recumbent riders is the inevitable motorist who stops beside them on their bike, looks up from their sports car and says: "aren’t you afraid of being so low?" The plain fact is that most car seats are lower than most recumbent bicycle seats, but recumbent cyclists don’t stop beside cars and say "aren’t you afraid of being so low?" Equally stunning logic could be posed to the lines painted on the road, which should therefore be invisible.

On an upright bicycle the cyclist towers above car roofs in what seems like a circus act after riding a recumbent. A recumbent cyclist is in the same position as a motorist and the sight lines and visibility available to a recumbent cyclist are the same as a car. Anyone who has driven a car will be familiar with the recumbent cycling position. The real problem arises when switching from a recumbent to an upright bike which can make the cyclist ask themselves "am I too high?"

If anything, recumbents are one of the most visible vehicles on the road because they are unusual and motorists tend to notice unusual and interesting objects.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Low-ness...
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2008, 7:36pm

I agree, speaking for myself while driving I scan the road for junk and pot holes to avoid.  Even my Low-Racer is way more visiable then your tipical road junk.

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print