Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 14th, 2024, 7:37pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
It's WINDY out there! (Read 891 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

It's WINDY out there!
Jan 6th, 2008, 8:17pm

I gotta admit, I do enjoy the "recumbent advantage" into the wind, especially when the 'unfairing' is on the bike...  I went out about 2PM, and did about 20 miles southbound into Mesquite, into the teeth of that 20 mph wind, and could still hold 14+ mph into it, or higher if I did the "aero slouch"  Cheesy  I had a couple DF'ers come in from side streets along the way, and none of 'em could hang... Roll Eyes

Even better, I had 20 miles of TAILWIND on the way home, helping me do 30 mph across the Rowlett Rd bridge north of I-30...  which is important, because it's two lanes with NO shoulder, and one of only four ways into my area from Dallas/Garland...  it's always a bit tense going across that, but I take the center of my lane, so nobody gets any funny (or unfunny) ideas...

Tailwind planning is important...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: It's WINDY out there!
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2008, 11:13pm

It seemed even more windy than yesterday as I rode around the neighborhood.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2008, 10:57am

The four of us(Ken,Mike,Peggy & myself) rode just a tick under 50 miles yesterday in Celina. At least 3/4 of the ride was into the wind or those wicked crosswinds that require 10/20 degree lean to compensate. We left Celina town square right at 8:30am.

The tailwind heading north on 289 was great. But the rest of the ride was a little challenging,especially in the open,rural area of northern Collin/Grayson/Denton counties. At the end,my computer read 15.5 mph avg. Not bad considering the wind. The wind had to be blowing steady at 25 mph with stronger gusts. Relatively light vehicle traffic as well. This is a great route. Really fun today.

I managed to rescue my first turtle(from the road) of '08 somewhere between Gunter & Tioga. There were no mechanical issues(always a plus). Despite the wind,the winds weren't enough to damper the spirits,considering it is still January. The wind kept the temperature from really getting too warm.

We managed to finish right at 12:45pm,just in time for all of the local churches to finish services. Lucy's(great restaurant) had a waiting list. An adjacent restaurant(Pecan Street diner) had seating available outside,under an umbrella. This was a nice option. Good foods with good friends.

I have a few pictures,but have no idea how to attach them to this post.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2008, 2:32pm

I have not minded the wind on the R40 like I do on the EZ1 or Trek df. I imagine it is the lower riding profile which aids in going into the high 20+ winds yesterday and the day before. Boy was it fun on the way home with that tail wind Smiley  
It seems only one other bent has been riding in RLP lately, looks like it may be a RANS, we passed each other so quickly I couldnt tell. It sure is fun saying "On your left" to df'ers Smiley now if I could just get into that tall gear, look out pacelines .

VISION_IN_RLP_04S-7MILE-STOP.jpg

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print