Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 10th, 2024, 10:47am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike differences (Read 1860 times)
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Bike differences
Dec 7th, 2007, 11:50am

I thought I would just throw out my experiences with my new Giro.  I thought when I bought the Giro that since I already ride a twin 24” wheel bike that riding the Giro with twin 26” wheels would be a snap.
Well it was except: With 26” wheels the Giro is 1-3/4 inches higher. No big thing, but it made a difference. Also the Giro wheel base is 8” longer.  Now that made a real difference.  I soon discovered that in a emergency situation I would instinctively react as if I were riding the Vision and oversteer . Then I would tense up and be all over the road, in more ways than one.  After 900 miles on the Giro I am finally getting my instincts dialed in to the different bikes.  I think that if I had just ridden the Giro on the road I never noticed the difference.  On the trail, in the spring, trying to navigate the narrow trail thru 3 inches of mud really emphasized the difference.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Re: Bike differences
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2007, 6:25pm

Quote from jcsadowski on Dec 7th, 2007, 11:50am:
I thought I would just throw out my experiences with my new Giro. I thought when I bought the Giro that since I already ride a twin 24” wheel bike that riding the Giro with twin 26” wheels would be a snap.
Well it was except: With 26” wheels the Giro is 1-3/4 inches higher. No big thing, but it made a difference. Also the Giro wheel base is 8” longer. Now that made a real difference. I soon discovered that in a emergency situation I would instinctively react as if I were riding the Vision and oversteer . Then I would tense up and be all over the road, in more ways than one. After 900 miles on the Giro I am finally getting my instincts dialed in to the different bikes. I think that if I had just ridden the Giro on the road I never noticed the difference. On the trail, in the spring, trying to navigate the narrow trail thru 3 inches of mud really emphasized the difference.

That makes sense. More seat time on a new bike makes all the difference in the world. Glad to hear you're getting more comfortable
on the Giro. Does that mean we'll see the Giro on Jan 1??

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2007, 9:16pm

Proably not.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Dec 8th, 2007, 11:08pm

Three inches of mud?  I'd be all over the road, too!!!!!   Cheesy

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2007, 1:36pm

There really is a wide range of recumbents, with a wide range of handling characteristics. But, it's amazing how much difference being used to a bike makes. On the Joe Pool dam, a fairly narrow roadway, I now do turnarounds on both the Corsa and Nimbus without even unclipping. I would never have thought I could do that with either, right after I got them.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Mud
Reply #5 - Dec 9th, 2007, 8:13pm

Also one has to remember the back wheel is still muddy after exiting the mud.  
I was so excited about just making it thru the mud that I accelerated as soon as I exited and ended up sitting on the ground 4 feet from the mud.  At least I missed the mud.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Re: Mud
Reply #6 - Dec 9th, 2007, 10:42pm

Quote from jcsadowski on Dec 9th, 2007, 8:13pm:
Also one has to remember the back wheel is still muddy after exiting the mud.
I was so excited about just making it thru the mud that I accelerated as soon as I exited and ended up sitting on the ground 4 feet from the mud. At least I missed the mud.

Off-roading on a 'bent! You may have paved the way for a mountain recumbent bike!

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Mountain Bent
Reply #7 - Dec 10th, 2007, 8:34am

I did the Tour de Gravel on my suspended Vision.  Fourtyfive miles of hard rock road. That is where I used all the low-low gears, of my 63 gears.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print