Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Jun 18th, 2024, 6:57am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LSR Italy 200K 11/17 (Read 963 times)
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

LSR Italy 200K 11/17
Nov 18th, 2007, 9:41pm

Hi Guys,

Had a tough ride yesterday,  felt much worse on this 200, than the 300 last month.  Might chalk it up to the bike switch, but nutrition, lack of sleep, too many miles and going out too hard all played their part as well.  It was really a very nice day, despite higher than forecast winds, and some rain in the last couple of hours.  Quite a large pack rolled out at 8am, and from what I understand both the 300K and 200K packs stayed together and rode as a group.  I fell of the pace a bit in the 200K towards the end, but Ray stayed with me and kept my miserable self company, I really appreciated that, especially after it started raining.  Despite my slower pace got through in exactly 10 hours, which isn't too much slower than my normal 9:30 or so for this length, averaging about 15 something while on the bike.  I guess commuting to work is not enough riding to really re adjust to the upright, as my back and shoulders were quite sore today, looks like I might be switching back to the recumbent for the next one.  I'm also excited about picking up my new Tour Easy tomorrow!

Bud hope everything goes well with the surgery, and congatulations to Greg, Mark, and Peggy for awesome wicked fast rides!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Re: LSR Italy 200K 11/17
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2007, 10:01pm

Quote from Kwijybow on Nov 18th, 2007, 9:41pm:
Hi Guys,

Had a tough ride yesterday, felt much worse on this 200, than the 300 last month. Might chalk it up to the bike switch, but nutrition, lack of sleep, too many miles and going out too hard all played their part as well. It was really a very nice day, despite higher than forecast winds, and some rain in the last couple of hours. Quite a large pack rolled out at 8am, and from what I understand both the 300K and 200K packs stayed together and rode as a group. I fell of the pace a bit in the 200K towards the end, but Ray stayed with me and kept my miserable self company, I really appreciated that, especially after it started raining. Despite my slower pace got through in exactly 10 hours, which isn't too much slower than my normal 9:30 or so for this length, averaging about 15 something while on the bike. I guess commuting to work is not enough riding to really re adjust to the upright, as my back and shoulders were quite sore today, looks like I might be switching back to the recumbent for the next one. I'm also excited about picking up my new Tour Easy tomorrow!

Bud hope everything goes well with the surgery, and congatulations to Greg, Mark, and Peggy for awesome wicked fast rides!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Nelson, Congratulations! Bud calls the ride you had "accomplishment rides". I agree with his description 100%.  You persevered &   endured.  Now you can move onto the next ride. AND a classy move by Ray.  

How cool was that the 200 & 300K riders stayed together?!  Post some pictures of the Tour Easy.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2007, 6:43am

Good report, Nelson. We all have days like that. My present company is a good reminder that most people couldn't finish a ride like that on a good day.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2007, 7:37pm

Nelson - riding with you, regardless of the pace, it my utmost pleasure.  One of the awesome traits of Randonneurs, compared to USCF racers, or even pay rides, is that most Randonneurs don't think twice about sacrificing themself for another rider in need.

You've sacraficed yourself for me more times than I can count on one, probably both hands.  Remember, Randonneuring is self supported, so all we have is each other.  

I believe that the true personification of one's inner most self becomes evident when they are put in a situation where they can either sacrafice themselves to help someone or ride away into self gratification.  You, my friend, will always choose the former, as will I.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2007, 8:40pm

Ray,well put. I think some of my more memorable rides occurred when I had to overcome some adverse condition(s).  I get more of a sense of accomplishment when I finish a ride knowing I'm wasn't either 100% mentally/physically.  

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2007, 9:39pm

Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate it!  I'm going to ride Wolfe Tracks 123K in the morning, and I'm going on the Corsa,  haven't ridden the recumbent this month, so we'll see how the switch back goes.  I'm a little bummed, as I wasn't able to pick up the Tour Easy as planned, it will definitely be after Thanksgiving now.  Ray you're like a brother to me,  I can't believe how fortunate I've been to meet you this last year.  If there's one best thing I've gotten out of starting randonnuering this past year it is becoming your friend.  I can't believe how important the rbent community has become to me as well, essentially not discovering this forum until I sold Bud my Stratus and he sent me the link back in May.  I can't go a day without checking in now!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2007, 11:00pm

Quote from Kwijybow on Nov 19th, 2007, 9:39pm:
Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate it! I'm going to ride Wolfe Tracks 123K in the morning, and I'm going on the Corsa, haven't ridden the recumbent this month, so we'll see how the switch back goes. I'm a little bummed, as I wasn't able to pick up the Tour Easy as planned, it will definitely be after Thanksgiving now. Ray you're like a brother to me, I can't believe how fortunate I've been to meet you this last year. If there's one best thing I've gotten out of starting randonnuering this past year it is becoming your friend. I can't believe how important the rbent community has become to me as well, essentially not discovering this forum until I sold Bud my Stratus and he sent me the link back in May. I can't go a day without checking in now!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Exactly. Some very good friendships have developed with the aid of this forum. I enjoy reading the comments from those that participate.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print