Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 1:13am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
TTTT Race update (Read 11145 times)
Rawhide

rbent member

TTTT Race update
Sep 28th, 2007, 12:02pm

I was out at the TTTT this morning for the 36 hour start.  Paul started the first lap then Greg, Steve and Bud for lap # 4.  Greg smoked 'em on his lap, something like 51 minutes or just under that.  I won't give much detail, but Greg has a good story about someone who had roughly a 5 minute lead.  I've taken a few photos and will be getting more when I head back out there as a volunteer.  The Flying Recliners look to be well taken care of by their support team.

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Re: TTTT Race update
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2007, 3:01pm

Thanks for the report, DJ!

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2007, 10:48pm

This will end up being a long story, but I posted a course record with a 50.15 tie around the 20 mile course.  Paul took his lap, then handed off to me.  John Schlitter had a 5 minute head start, but I passed him 3 miles from the finish.  We dueled it out neck and neck until I took him on the final hill.  The team kicked serious butt with a 25:30 run for the full 500.  I couldn't have asked for better teammates.  I'll take you guys over anyone, every time, every year.

There are a bazillion stories to be shared, but I'm in too much pain to type....

Big ups to Peggy for her tremendous victory on the 100 mile!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2007, 6:45am

Quote from aikigreg on Sep 29th, 2007, 10:48pm:
There are a bazillion stories to be shared, but I'm in too much pain to type....

The teasers are nice and all, but take some Advil and dish the details already!  

You might start by devoting a few lines to explaining how the race works.  I know that the course was 20 miles, and if I divide 500 by your 25.5 hour time, it comes out to about a 19.6 mph average--which sounds about right.  But I remember Peggy telling me that each team member has to ride the full distance, so something's not adding up.

Quote:
Big ups to Peggy for her tremendous victory on the 100 mile!

Cheryl and I wondered whether Peggy successfully fought off the peer pressure or if you insaniacs talked her into it.

Meanwhile, I managed to ride 37 miles yesterday, at a blistering average of 14.8 mph (and had another flat).  Whee.   Roll Eyes

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2007, 7:42am

That's the hardest thing I've ever done on a bike (so far)....   We're talking essentially multiple laps of a 20 mile sprint, that starts with an 8 mile climb and finishes with 9 miles of rollers...    

Good Lord, what were we thinking????!!!!!!!!!??????

Well, we were thinking that we'd maybe finish in 30 hours or so...  and CRUSHED that expectation with a 25 hour and 30 minute finish, passing people left and right...  (OK, only on the left...   Wink  Ding, ding!!!)  Suffice it to say, we had the second fastest 500 team time, and topped last year's course record (by the GDB Assassins) by roughly an hour...

What an excrutiatingly fun 36 hours, with an excellent team/crew...  thanks to all!!

I'll dish details later, but check out my new signature line!!!   Grin Grin Grin

Here are a couple pics, in giant size -- more later!   (I've gotta get ready for the GDB picnic ride...)

The Flyers

John Schlitter, Honorary RBENT member

Greg on the approach/passoff

The Hardware

2nd Fastest Four Man Team, and Recumbent Division winner!!!

« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2007, 5:35pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2007, 9:40am

Well, I wasn't very happy with my own lap times, but my teammates were so fast, they carried the day. It's a team relay race, so none of the riders does the entire distance, but you're right, Foo, it doesn't come out even. While the rest of us ended up with 6 laps, after 24.5 grueling hours, Paul went out and blasted a 1 hour, 20 mph average, 7th lap to finish the event.  

These guys were already friends, but I have gained a whole new respect for their will and determination. Despite feeling bad, with his body telling him it had had enough, Greg still got that TiCa around the loop faster than any of us. Even though he's new to longer distance riding, and had blistering times in his first laps, Steve gutted it out and rode great to the end. And Paul did 140 miles of sprinting speed in just over a day; I still can't believe he had that much strength on that last lap!

If you haven't done one of these type events, you just have no idea how much work it is for the crew helping you, and how much you need them. Thank you so much, Rose, Terrie, Alexis, and Peggy!

Great rides, Ray, Nelson, and your Cole Train teammates! And thanks, Ray, for saving us that spot at the start. It was an excellent spot to crew, recover, and watch for our riders.

And, congrats, Peggy on that 100 miles! Because they want everything to finish at 6:00 pm, TTTT doesn't let the 100 mile riders start until 10:00 am, so Peggy had to fight the worst of the heat, wind, and traffic to make 5 laps around that hilly course. Awesome ride, Peggy!

Even though I was the slowest of the four Reclining Flyers, in my six laps around the course, I only got passed by one rider. I think we turned some heads at the event. Maybe a few people will decide they need to check out these strange bikes. There were so many people walking so badly at the end, I was very thankful I had done my laps on a recumbent. More later....

« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2007, 7:37pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #6 - Sep 30th, 2007, 11:20am

Hi Guys!

A very impressive performance by the Rbent Flyers!  I knew you guys were good, and I knew what bents could do, but even I was blown away by how fast and consistent you guys were.  Congratulations!!  I should say alot of people have taken notice, as well as taking notice of John's 29:01 course record.  Doing this event as a team, with your friends is an unbelievabley meaningful experience.  The Cole train exceeded our expectations as well, if not by quite the same margins.  We were aiming for 30 hours as goal, and came in at 28:08, turning nice consistent lap times, and no mechanicals or flats.  For me the hardest lap was the 6th one, being in the hottest windiest part of the day, I was motivated to go faster on the 7th being the last lap, and definitely cooler at night.  Despite our best efforts to get sleep I got very little and that may be the hardest aspect, sleep deprivation.  There we some real characters.  Gerry Hull from Georgia was on our opposite side from the Rbent Flyers riding a strange looking bike he built himself.  He was alone and crewing himself, and led for half the race, despite stopping to tell the lap officials a joke on nearly every lap.  He finally bonked sometime in the night and laid down in a ditch for awhile!  Brenda Barnell's team was just down the row as well, and despite being only 3 people, and then partway into the race just 2, they broke the mixed 4 person team record (31 something hours I believe).  The women's race was also incredible.  Sharon Stevens, had a flat the first lap, and a mechanical a few laps later, but persevered and pulled back almost 45 minute deficit on her rivals to set a new women's record somewhere in the 41 hour range.  

I'm sorry I didn't get to see Peggy's ride, after being up and crewing, and then turning in a great performance in the hot and windy part of the day, very impressive, I think I see a mixed team record in the near future ( I volunteer as a teamate!).  

Once again major congratulations!!

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #7 - Sep 30th, 2007, 2:10pm

All Right! Man did I enjoy reading the reports, come on let those brains recycle and give us more detials! We always talk about improving the "bent "image. I believe this performance has done more than anything to change the prevailing recumbnet stereotypes. Recumbent riders are not only bearded old guys, but some highly intense men and women who can really bring the heat. Congratulations to Bud, Paul Steve, Greg and Peggy and all those that provided support. Way to go Peggy, you are one tough lady!

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #8 - Sep 30th, 2007, 2:28pm

Here's a photo of the team. Other photos that Rose took are in my photobucket album.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #9 - Sep 30th, 2007, 2:31pm

I too want to congratulate Bud, Steve, Paul and Greg.  You guys really blew me away.  It was a wonderful experience watching you guys consistently turn 1 hour laps on a very tough 20 mile course.  I raced on the Cole Train Team.  Nelson and I rode our bents, while our two teammates (Dennis and Jeremy) rode DF.  Our team name came as a result of a 360k annual event called a "Fleche" (in French it means "point-to-point" or "arrow").  The fifth member of our Fleche Team, Gary Cole died a few months ago, so we dedicated our TTTT team to Gary.  

And Peggy, I agree with several points Nelson made.  (1) even though you helped keep a keen eye on "the boys", your performance was tremendous.  (2) there has not been a mixed recumbent team (female/male).  So if Steve rides with Paul/Greg/Bud again next year, please consider racing on a team with Nelson and I.  Don't worry, we wouldn't be in direct competition with your wonderful husband Steve (who I admire greately).  The mixed team are in a separate category.  Plus, we could keep our pit crews next to each other, so you could spend a lot of time with Steve (and steal their secrets  Grin Grin Grin)

I also agree with everyone who said that recumbents turned a lot of heads.  Even at the awards ceremony, Dan Driscoll (the Event Organizer), as he was awarding trophies continually mentioning that recumbents kicked every category they entered.  When he called John Schlitter to the front, he said something like "Everyone, this is one person you need to meet.  John Schlitter, he is a world class athlete and now has both the 24 hour and 500 mile record".  

In closing, I again want to thank the entire Reclining Flyers, including the crew.  Oh, you guys need to change you name to "Flying Recliners" as you really flew through the course.  I had as much fun constantly checking your lap times, as I did our own team!

I look forward to riding with you all soon.  Consider riding a 200/300k Brevet with our LSR gang on October 20 in Italy.  It's one of the flatter LSR routes.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #10 - Sep 30th, 2007, 3:55pm

"Flying Recliners" was an early option, but apparently "Reclining Flyers" sounded a bit more.... intimidating???   Wink

Although there WAS the rare occasional comment by a just-passed DF rider, along the lines of "F-ing Recumbents"...   Hey, maybe that's NEXT year's name!!!!!   (The Fing Recumbents) Grin

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #11 - Sep 30th, 2007, 3:57pm

...John Schlitter had a 5 minute head start, but I passed him 3 miles from the finish.  We dueled it out neck and neck until I took him on the final hill.  

Hmmm....  that's funny...   John told the story as "...he BEGGED me to just let him finish ahead of me ONCE...."

Well, you had to be there, I guess!!!!   Grin

Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #12 - Sep 30th, 2007, 4:49pm

Bud was an awesome captain & teammate(as were Paul & Greg-all supportive). It was great to finally meet Nelson(awesome rider & all-around good guy-and his teammates Dennis,Jeremy,& Ray Torrey-of course). Ray's team camp was set up right next to ours.Thanks to both Ray & Nelson for the encouragement, advice & having someone to talk to between rides(during those times when teammates were getting much needed rest/sleep).

As I told Paul,the numbers "5-7-9"(our team number-which each team rider had to shout out to the timekeeper everytime we crossed the finish line) will be etched in my brain for sometime.  

Thanks to Dave for making a special trip to Cleburne on both Friday & Saturday( & taking pictures & the words of encouragement as well). Thanks for the support.

Ray,I would like to start riding in some brevet's. I need to improve my endurance. October 20th sounds fine with me(if your group will have us). Peggy would love to ride with you guys next year. Our secrets? Pedal harder/faster,but that's not really a secret.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #13 - Sep 30th, 2007, 5:32pm

aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #14 - Sep 30th, 2007, 6:01pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Sep 30th, 2007, 3:57pm:
...John Schlitter had a 5 minute head start, but I passed him 3 miles from the finish. We dueled it out neck and neck until I took him on the final hill.

Hmmm.... that's funny... John told the story as "...he BEGGED me to just let him finish ahead of me ONCE...."

Well, you had to be there, I guess!!!! Grin

I *did* beg.....but that doesn't mean he LET me!  He had me going near 40 on the frigging flats trying to stay ahead of him!

F'ing recumbents it is for next year!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print