Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 13th, 2024, 12:19pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
The Quick Recline seat adjust system (Read 6793 times)
Bud_Bent

The Quick Recline seat adjust system
Sep 14th, 2007, 7:34pm

Since I now have my instant seat tilt adjustment system mostly working, and blabbed about it on BROL, I figured I should go ahead and start this thread on it. I'll update it as new things happen with the system.  

Since a more upright and closed riding postion seems to be better for climbing, but a more reclined and open position the most aerodynamic for the flats and downhills, I decided to build a system that would let me make instant seat tilt adjustments on my Corsa. I call it the Quick Recline system.

The system uses small pneumatic cyclinders and springs on the seat stays, and a miniature pneumatic valve on the handlebar. Basically here's how the system is supposed to work: To lower the seat, I flip the valve toggle handle open, which lets my weight lower the seat. When it reaches its lower limit, I flip the handle back to lock the seat. To raise it, I flip the handle open, lean forward to unweight the seat and allow the springs to raise it, flip the handle to lock the seat, then lean back. All of it works well now, except for the valve. It will only lock the seat in one direction, so I lock the seat up, but when I want the seat down, I just leave the valve open and let my dead weight keep it down. I have a new valve ordered, which I hope will fix this last major problem.  

If you want to read all about the technical aspects of the system, you can go to my web page on it. For most, that is probably more than you ever wanted to know about it.

Here's a photo of the seat stays, showing the cylinders and springs.

In the next photo, the yellow arrow is pointing at the valve toggle handle.

« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2021, 4:51pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: The Quick Recline seat adjust system
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2007, 8:15pm

Here are my early impressions:

Raising the seat recline helps even more for climbing than I expected.

Lowering the seat recline helps the aerodynamics even more than I expected.

The seat is slower to raise than I would like, and bound to get slower in cold weather. But stronger springs which would make it quicker might be more than my weight will compress, without lead in my pockets. Maybe the new valve will be better.

Being able to change the seat angle is a nice break for fatiguing muscles after some miles on the bike, even if you don't need to raise it for climbing.

The 7 mile incline at The Texas Time Trials is too gradual for my speed to be helped by raising the seat (which only seems to make a big difference on steep climbs), but I'm too slow going up it for the aerodynamic lower position to help............. sorry, team, I'm still a slug.

This setup opens up all kinds of new riding strategies. For example, going up a less than steep hill against the wind, I would leave the seat down for the aerodynamics, but going up the same hill with the wind at my back, I'd have the seat up.

The up position is WAY better for riding in a df paceline. You can see the pavement closer in front, helping with the thing I've always hated most about paceline riding: not being able to see holes and bumps under the riders in front of me. Also, since you are drafting, the aerodynamics of the lower position aren't needed, anyway.

« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2007, 8:25pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2007, 8:48pm

Bud, I'm officially impressed.  Very cool!

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
swyant
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2007, 10:05pm

Wow.  Absolutely an awesome idea, Bud.  I would love to try this on my Aero.  When you are ready to market it, will there be an RBENT member discount?

Grin

IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2007, 9:59am

That's pretty cool, Bud.  I remember you saying that you were going to try to put this together, but I never guessed it could actually be done.  The engineering looks very professional, and thinking back on some of your other projects... what is it that you do for a living?  I originally thought that you worked at some sort of a welding shop.  Then I thought, based on this forum, that you were a software developer for Spinnerbaker.

But I digress.

I get that the rear seat supports collapse and telescope by means of the system you've developed, but don't you have forward/aft positioning problems when you change the angle of recline?  From my own experience, I've discovered that for each hole that I lower the rear of my seat, I must move the seat bracket forward about 1/2" to maintain the correct leg extension.  I don't recall your mentioning any sort of fore/aft adjustment in your design, so do you set up your seat for your max recline and then just cope with shortened pedal strokes while the seat is less reclined?

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2007, 2:15pm

Quote from FooRider on Sep 15th, 2007, 9:59am:
That's pretty cool, Bud. I remember you saying that you were going to try to put this together, but I never guessed it could actually be done. The engineering looks very professional, and thinking back on some of your other projects... what is it that you do for a living? I originally thought that you worked at some sort of a welding shop. Then I thought, based on this forum, that you were a software developer for Spinnerbaker.

But I digress.

I get that the rear seat supports collapse and telescope by means of the system you've developed, but don't you have forward/aft positioning problems when you change the angle of recline? From my own experience, I've discovered that for each hole that I lower the rear of my seat, I must move the seat bracket forward about 1/2" to maintain the correct leg extension. I don't recall your mentioning any sort of fore/aft adjustment in your design, so do you set up your seat for your max recline and then just cope with shortened pedal strokes while the seat is less reclined?

I work as a machine shop CNC maintenance technician. I'm a self-taught computer programmer. I am the owner, staff, and janitor at SpinnerBaker Software. It is just a part time thing, that once took up a bunch of time and earned a tidy second income, but doesn't amount to much these days.

There is no provision for fore and aft adjustment in the system. A Euromesh seat like mine allows you to slide some to compensate, but without sliding the seat, it does limit the amount of recline adjustment that is useful to you. For me, it seems to be a little over 1 inch, on the cylinder.

« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2007, 2:17pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2007, 5:21pm

You are my hero - and ten times smarter than Wile E. Coyote.

....Bud Bent - supergenius!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2007, 5:47pm

Quote from aikigreg on Sep 15th, 2007, 5:21pm:

...and Inspector Gadget!!!

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #8 - Sep 15th, 2007, 7:25pm

I am way impressed with your result. From a thought to reality, that's what its all about.

So bud, can we tap you now for small machining projects?

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #9 - Sep 16th, 2007, 3:44pm

So, are Greg and I listed as coauthors on the patent?    Smiley

Nicely done, Sir...

Similarly, Barry mentioned to me his recommended solution to the "sliding seat" problem that RANS bikes have -- RANS should create ratchet-style notches in the seat bar and rad-loc clamp mechanism...

Ah, the fun of mechanical design...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #10 - Nov 6th, 2007, 5:42pm

Say, Bud, what's your current thinking on the "instant adjust" system, and its functionality?  Have you been utilizing it, and what do you think about it a couple months later??

Bud_Bent

Reply #11 - Nov 6th, 2007, 6:28pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Nov 6th, 2007, 5:42pm:
Say, Bud, what's your current thinking on the "instant adjust" system, and its functionality? Have you been utilizing it, and what do you think about it a couple months later??

I've adjusted and fine tuned, and replaced the puny lower seat stay rod with stronger tubing. I haven't used it a lot lately, though, because most of my rides have been flat. I mainly use it when there's big climbing, or to change muscles a bit when I'm tired on a really long ride. The rest of the time, I keep it reclined all the way. I'll post an up to date photo when I get a chance.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #12 - Nov 11th, 2007, 6:28pm

Here's a photo of the latest version. It has a longer spring, so I get pretty much the full 1 1/2 inch travel of the cyclinder, as well as a much stronger lower stay. I fabricated it out of aluminum tubing, smashing the lower end in a vice, grinding a radius on it, then drilling. It seems very sturdy.

« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2021, 4:52pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #13 - Nov 11th, 2007, 7:04pm

What's that line about "Building a better mousetrap"???   Roll Eyes

Nice work, Sir!

Rose Pedals

rbent member

Reply #14 - Nov 12th, 2007, 9:29pm

Quote from aikigreg on Sep 15th, 2007, 5:21pm:

Umm... Roll Eyes why do u think i married the guy! Smiley

Rose

I'm not short; I'm aerodynamic!
  IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #15 - Nov 13th, 2007, 11:18am

I wonder if there is a market for Buds invention.  

Terry

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #16 - Nov 13th, 2007, 2:04pm

Quote from MrOverdressed on Nov 13th, 2007, 11:18am:
I wonder if there is a market for Buds invention.

Terry

I'm not sure it will ever be worth marketing. There are bound to be other riders who would like an instant adjust. But, every bike and every rider are different. Just finding my own preferred range of adjustment took a lot of tinkering. My present version doesn't allow for the wide range of setups necessary, and I'm not sure I could make an affordable version that does.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print