Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 17th, 2024, 2:17am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bachetta Corsa vs. Strada (Read 4996 times)
Dr._Awkward

rbent member

Bachetta Corsa vs. Strada
Aug 26th, 2007, 9:14am

I was up at PCF and rode the Corsa and the Giro that they have available.  They were both very nice, but I think that if I went with Bachetta I would go for dual 650s rather than a 26/20 config.  

A couple of questions for you Bachetta owners out there:
1. I'm not sure about the extra $$ for a Corsa over a Strada...is it worth it?
2. I'm 5'7", and trialed the large frame on the Corsa.  It wasn't too bad (could keep both feet flat when at a stop), but technically I'm supposed to be on a medium frame.  Should I try out a medium frame?
3. I had originally wanted to get an USS bike, as it seems that on longer rides the hand position would be more comfortable.  On my old Lightnings the hand position is very close to the chest, and I occasionally had numb fingers.  
    Although I wasn't used to the handlebars on the Bachettas, they were pretty comfortable while I was testing.  How do they do on long rides?

-DA

Lightning Thunderbolt <-- Stolen
Lightning Thunderbolt A10 <-- Stolen
Lightning Phantom (and a much bigger lock!)
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Bachetta Corsa vs. Strada
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2007, 1:13pm

I would definately go with the medium frame.  If it's what is supposed to fit you'll be more comfortable in the long run.

And I would say spend the extra $$$ for the lighter bike.  You save money in the long run when you don't have to sell a bike and upgrade.  But maybe that's just me and my lust for new bikes talking!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2007, 1:34pm

Go with the medium frame. On Bacchettas, the seat adjusts, not the boom, so you end up sitting further forward on a large frame, which puts you higher off the ground. The medium would be better for you. As to which bike to buy, I think you should buy the Carbon Aero. It's only a few thousand dollars more.  In the end, each of us has to decide for ourselves whether pricier, lighter bikes are worth it.

I like the Bacchetta handlebar setup, but that's another thing that's pretty personal.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2007, 2:41pm

My suggestion would to go with the medium frame. My wife(Mrs Strada) is 5'7" and has a medium frame Strada. She has no problem reaching the gorund.

We both ride Strada's. The difference between the Strada vs Corsa is roughly $600 in price. The difference is a 1lb or so in frame weight & sram 7 vs.sram 9, a different cassette, and a few other items. Since I was buying 2 bikes(Stradas), I couldn't justify an extra $1,200 in expense. That's just my opinion. I'm not bashing the Corsa, obviously,it's an excellent bike.  

I guess it depends on our budget & what kind of whistles/bells you want. We have no regrests with the Strada.

We both just completed the H'NH,& the bike was perfectly comfortable for both of us. In fact,my Strada is much more comfortable than my cafe(on long rides).

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2007, 3:06pm

As a new Corsa owner (about 3 weeks ago) and previous USS driver, here's my thoughts.  You're spending quite a bit of money on a bike ,whether Corsa or Strada.  Get one that fits, you'll be glad you did in the long run even if it means waiting a few weeks.  I was tempted by a used large frame Ti Aero but am glad I went with the new Corsa in a medium for less money.  I'm 5'10" and could likely get by fine with a large but I think the fit to the medium is just right.  Regarding arm position, to be honest I'd have to say the USS is a little more confortable, but that DOESN"T mean the Corsa is UNcomfortable.  The seats also not AS comfortable, but again I can't say it's uncomfortable.  The longest ride I've been on so far is just under 3 hours and neither my arms or hands have felt stressed.  This was one of my main concerns as it is yours, and fortunately I had a chance to ride a medium Aero for a couple of hours to prove to myself that the position was going to work before I made the plunge.  I also spent a week riding a medium Strada before I bought the Corsa, and would say the difference is not very great in most cases.  Only place I can tell a little difference is climbing hills where the 4 less pounds is noticeable.  Ultimately I wanted to get a quality bike and was willing to pay a little more to shave off a few pounds.  I could afford an Aero but didn't think the large costs difference between titanium and aluminum were reflected in performance and only saved another pound or so.  I also don't like tinkering, so wanted to get one that I wouldn't be replacing parts trying to upgrade all the time.  Really just have to try things out for a while to discover what works for you.
Good luck with whatever new bike you decide on.
Robert

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Dr._Awkward

rbent member

Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2007, 6:32pm

Are the wheels on the Strada similar to the Corsa (650s) or are they more like the 1.5" tires on the Giro.

Also, is there a big difference with the adjustable stem on the Strada vs the fixed on the Corsa?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but with this kind of $$ I would like the input.  
 Smiley

-DA

Lightning Thunderbolt <-- Stolen
Lightning Thunderbolt A10 <-- Stolen
Lightning Phantom (and a much bigger lock!)
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #6 - Aug 29th, 2007, 9:12am

You can compare specs at Bacchetta's site. The Corsa specs are here. The Strada specs are here. Click the Complete Specifications link on each page to see all the specs.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print