Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 17th, 2024, 4:26am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Blew their doors off... (Read 543 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Blew their doors off...
Aug 21st, 2007, 8:28pm

Took the tica out for its first hill training night with the Texas Wheels.  It was howling wind in our faces going out, so I just went ahead and sped by the peloton as soon as traffic was clear.   Even *I* could feel the wind buffeting me - I was only doing 18 when I shoulda been doing 24 or so.  Given my lack of time on the tica since my return I was likely a little slower than I should have been up the hills.

Even so, The leaders who blow the doors off the rest of the peloton didn't catch me until the beginning of the second loop up the Texas Plume, which is a personal best for me.  

I didn't do the second part of the hills, which include a 20%er TWICE.  I just didn't have it in me, and now that I can actually run the small ring, I know for sure I need a little bigger gearage in the back.  

So just 20 miles, but the return trip was fun - no less than 26mph the whole way.   Grin

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Blew their doors off...
Reply #1 - Aug 23rd, 2007, 5:06pm

I did somewhat the same on Tuesday night's REI west route...  About 35 of us were packed in pretty tight heading south on Luna into the wind, and I was hanging in back, out of the way...  but it felt "slow" to me...  So I asked the guy beside me, "should I swoop up to the front?"  He laughed, and said, "Now would be the time!"  And as I went past, I heard, "Let him go....!!!"  I just smiled and waved...

But, it got lonely up there after a couple miles, so I backed off and rejoined the lead group (or vice versa)...  Granted, ten miles later, a group of six sprinted off and left me chasing...

Which prompted me to come up with the "Three Dozen Excuses" -- I believe that I could have kept up with them if I:

a)  Was 12 years younger;
b)  Was 12 pounds lighter;
and  
c)  Had a $12,000 bike (that also weighed 12 pounds less)

Grin

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print