Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 21st, 2024, 5:57am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Celina ride 7/7/07 (Read 2098 times)
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Celina ride 7/7/07
Jul 8th, 2007, 10:21am

First, thanks to Steve for putting together the route and coordinating this event.  I know it's got to be tough trying to accomodate the needs and wants of so many different riders.  Then, I'd just like to wonder aloud, how can a 777 ride be so flipping unlucky?  I'd expect 8 mechanicals (by my count) on a 6/6/06 ride, but not 7/7/07.

Rather than take up space here, anyone who's interested can read the blow-by-blow ride report at my blog.

« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2007, 11:00am by FooRider »  

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: Celina ride 7/7/07
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2007, 3:28pm

Good report, Mike. It did turn into a bit of an epic in the heat, but it was fun riding with that many fast bents, and seeing the rbent members who live so far across the metroplex from me. In addition to that, I just felt so much better than the last time I was on my bike, and have decided I may live, after all.

It's the time of year when heat can become a major factor around here, and the humidity this summer is just going to be brutal. Where are those photos, Paul and Greg?

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2007, 4:11pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Jul 8th, 2007, 3:28pm:
Good report, Mike. It did turn into a bit of an epic in the heat, but it was fun riding with that many fast bents, and seeing the rbent members who live so far across the metroplex from me. In addition to that, I just felt so much better than the last time I was on my bike, and have decided I may live, after all.

It's the time of year when heat can become a major factor around here, and the humidity this summer is just going to be brutal. Where are those photos, Paul and Greg?

Yes. Thanks to all who participated. To say it was a bizarre ride,would be an under statement. Depsite all the flats,it was still fun. I esepcially enjoyed that mini-break away with Bud & Paul and riding with all of you in horse country. Thanks for making yesterday a special day.

At least there were no incidents at Lucy's cafe. Good food,good times,with good friends.

-Steve & Peggy.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2007, 5:38pm

Quote from Strada177 on Jul 8th, 2007, 4:11pm:
I esepcially enjoyed that mini-break away with Bud & Paul and riding with all of you in horse country. Thanks for making yesterday a special day.

By that point, I had gone into conservation mode.  The combination of not enough recent bike time, my first truly hot, humid ride of the season, and being overdue for lunch was turning my legs to mush, and I knew it.  Discretion being the better part of valor, I had to give the breakaway a miss.

Quote:
At least there were no incidents at Lucy's cafe. Good food,good times,with good friends.

As it turned out, I could have joined you guys.  Cheryl could hear in my voice that I was in some distress and encouraged me to just go ahead and have "lunch" with you guys, but everyone had walked over to the café by that time and I didn't know where to look for you.

WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2007, 7:49pm

I had a good time until we hit the last 10 miles.  The frequent stops in the sun just really wear a man down, especially when he'd already done 275 miles that week after a 3 week layoff and in much cooler weather.   I was just too underrecovered to fight the heat, humidity and the chipseal.  No way I was maintaining any speed.  Plus the ramp-ups and then stops for mechanicals really made me stiff.  Oh well, it builds character, or something Smiley

I tell you though.  In spite of the fact that I bought the p-38 as a strictly commuter/tour bike, I'm thinking about switching to a corsa, with the way you big-wheel people handle the chipseal.  Would One of you mind letting me try your bike at our next get-together?    

Double-thanks to the Stradas for my birthday brownie and ice cream.  I would have shared except...well...I didn't WANT to!   Tongue

Also, great blog, O Rider of Foo.  Final score was bents:  7, uprights:  0.   Grin

Here are my unedited photos.  Let me know if the albumshare doesn't work.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v652/aikigreg/celina%202007/

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2007, 8:07pm

One last note about the Celina ride...the "DF" rider who had FOUR flats,was so frazzeled after the ride,he went to RBM(in Frisco) and purchased a new tire. Upon arriving at home,he forgot his bike was mounted to the roof of his car. CRUNCH. He hit the garage door header with his Trek 1500. The bike is now in THREE peices and he has a new bike frame. You talk about a bad day of cycling!

A birthday is a birthday & must be celebrated with a brownie/ice cream. Thanks for the photos and the mechanical help yesterday.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #6 - Jul 8th, 2007, 8:37pm

You know, I try to keep people's names out of the blog (hence my always referring to him as just "a DF rider") but I did feel bad about the fact that I never knew Mr. Unlucky's name.  I have a pretty good idea where he could've scored a "new" 1500, but it sounds like he's already replaced it—and I guess a 54cm wouldn't fit him anyway.  I remember him being tall-ish.

The good news is that he's probably used up all his bad luck for this season!

« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2007, 8:39pm by FooRider »  

WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #7 - Jul 8th, 2007, 8:58pm

Quote from FooRider on Jul 8th, 2007, 5:38pm:
Quote from Strada177 on Jul 8th, 2007, 4:11pm:
I esepcially enjoyed that mini-break away with Bud & Paul and riding with all of you in horse country. Thanks for making yesterday a special day.

By that point, I had gone into conservation mode.  The combination of not enough recent bike time, my first truly hot, humid ride of the season, and being overdue for lunch was turning my legs to mush, and I knew it.  Discretion being the better part of valor, I had to give the breakaway a miss.

Quote:

As it turned out, I could have joined you guys.  Cheryl could hear in my voice that I was in some distress and encouraged me to just go ahead and have "lunch" with you guys, but everyone had walked over to the café by that time and I didn't know where to look for you.

That stinks. Sorry,you missed lunch. Lucy's cafe ain't fancy,BUT very good food. We missed your company. The "horror" stories were flyin' over the good food.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2007, 8:10am

Wish I could've been there.  Sounds like a "memorable" ride.  I got out on my own for 43.5 miles that morning, leaving at 8:30 and getting back to the house at 11:30, averaging 14.5, the main goal to see if if I could do a 40+ miler without cramping.  I didn't get any cramps until I got off the bike.  I was completely wasted at the end though, so I probably made the right decision to stay home.  Don't think I could have completed a 60+ miler at any speed.
Glad everyone got back OK.  Definitely an all-time high for mechanicals in one ride!
Robert

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #9 - Jul 9th, 2007, 10:14am

Here are my pics -- Photobucket loads in reverse order, for some reason, and I can't rearrange 'em...  So, start at the last pic and go backwards, kinda like I did half the ride Saturday!

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g73/flyinglazboy/CelinaRBENT/

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #10 - Jul 9th, 2007, 10:17am

Quote from Strada177 on Jul 8th, 2007, 8:07pm:
.... Upon arriving at home,he forgot his bike was mounted to the roof of his car. CRUNCH.

Oh, MAN, what an end to the day...   That happened to a GDB buddy of mine at the Mesquite Ride last year -- he put his tandem on top of his van, and proceeded to try to take down the "START/FINISH" banner with it...  the banner won...   Sad

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #11 - Jul 9th, 2007, 1:42pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jul 9th, 2007, 10:17am:
Quote from Strada177 on Jul 8th, 2007, 8:07pm:
.... Upon arriving at home,he forgot his bike was mounted to the roof of his car. CRUNCH.

Oh, MAN, what an end to the day...   That happened to a GDB buddy of mine at the Mesquite Ride last year -- he put his tandem on top of his van, and proceeded to try to take down the "START/FINISH" banner with it...  the banner won...   Sad

I guess we all have our personal "horror" stories. I have had  a few already & I haven't been riding that long.  Jason was the "DF" rider that had all the problems on Saturday. He's such a such a nice guy. He felt so bad over his mechanical issues. He must have said that he was sorry a dozen times.  

Paul & Greg. Thanks for all the pictures. They are much appreciated.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print