Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 21st, 2024, 4:21am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Plano East Side Ride (club ride) (Read 954 times)
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Plano East Side Ride (club ride)
Jun 24th, 2007, 12:20pm

We tend to focus our reviews on competitive events and charity rallies, but I thought I'd spare a little virtual ink for one of my favorite weekly club rides.

The Plano East Side Ride* is a joint effort of the Plano Bicycle Association and the Greater Dallas Bicyclists clubs.  It's the first club ride I did when I took up road riding on New Year's Day of 2005, and I've kept going back ever since.

The ride meets in Plano, on 18th Street, east of US-75 and fewer than 100 yards from Plano Cycling & Fitness.  From there it heads east toward Sachse and Wylie and covers some of the same roads as some may know from Richardson Bike Mart rides.  It's not unusual for the exact route to deviate somewhat from  this map, but not by a lot.  The basic tenor of the ride is very social, and there's a core group of riders from both the PBA and GDB clubs whom I've seen on the ride for the past three years.  

Post-ride computer averages range from the mid-14s to as much as 17 mph (usually as the season wears on and the riders get their legs back).  However, one of the nice things about this ride is that the group splits into multiple pace/distance groups at the first rest break, depending on the abilities and preferences of the riders on any given day.  There are two convenience mart stops along the way (which usually drag on a little longer than I'd like), but once out into the rolling hills, there are two or three additional known spots—usually at the end of the longer climbs—at which the friskier riders stop to wait for the rest.

As club rides go, this is one of the safer ones I've been on.  The core riders tend to be a more experienced, mature group, and they're much better about things like riding single file where they ought to and double elsewhere.    Another plus is that there's none of the anti-bent attitude I so often see when participating in some other club rides.    Lynne on her P-38, Paul on his Stratus, and Dave on his Aero are familiar faces on this ride. Oh, James Loomis will pound up and announce that there's "no way I'm gettin' passed by one o'them lay down bikes", but you don't have to know James long to realize he's kidding around.

Foo says...  Smiley

* The link is for the 23 June ride, but the times and other details are good for each week's ride throughout the year.

« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2007, 12:55pm by FooRider »  

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Plano East Side Ride (club ride)
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2007, 6:48pm

I've never really seen much attitude when I ride, except for a couple people on pay rides.  Club rides have always been great, and people are always interested in our bikes.  Even more when you can keep up with them.  If the club rides up that way just weren't so far away I'd come more often.  

I rode the upright for 25 miles today.  I forget how much more effort it takes to pedal and fight the wind, and how many more calories I need on the bike to keep from bonking....So I was very tired at the end of only 25 miles, but at least my azz hurt a lot~   Grin

« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2007, 6:50pm by aikigreg »  

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2007, 3:45pm

Quote from FooRider on Jun 24th, 2007, 12:20pm:
Oh, James Loomis will pound up and announce that there's "no way I'm gettin' passed by one o'them lay down bikes", but you don't have to know James long to realize he's kidding around.

Foo says...  Smiley

Yes, my pal Loomis has been passed PLENTY of times...    Wink   ANd yes, it's nice to have several distance options available after the first rest stop -- however, the longest distance is typically ~37 miles.

« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2007, 3:47pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2007, 7:19pm

Hey Mike,

How much climbing on this ride? What is the longest time between stops?

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2007, 9:29pm

Not a whole lotta climbing on the shorter routes -- the climb up Renner is a bit lengthy, but the group(s) do take the occasional trip up Dump Hill...

PB

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print