Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 2nd, 2024, 8:19pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A moral victory?? (Read 670 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

A moral victory??
May 22nd, 2007, 11:06pm

Regular tuesday night hell ride.  Normally there are a lot of hammerheads and several more of varying speeds who get ropped quickly.  Tonight was nothing BUT hammerheads.  I wasn't sure I'd be able to finish since I'm still sore from the fast loops around Wite Rock Lake Sunday, but I managed pretty well.  The wind was just...WOW.  On the last downhill before we start climbing onto lake ridge I took off and put some lead on the pack.  They caught up with me at right turn to go onto Lake Ridge, but I edged out and beat the entire pack up the hill.  Put quite a lead on them going up to the Texas plume.  The paceline didn't catch up with me until we crested the steepest part of the hill.  Pretty cool!  

The line got ahead of me, but I kept them in sight until the turn back onto lake ridge for the second loop up the Plume.  I was feeling it the second time up, but still passed one rider at the top of the plume and stayed ahead of him until the LOOOOONG and fairly steep climb up valley view.  I stopped to pet a tarantula crossing the road.  I'd never seen one in the wild and that was pretty freaking cool!

Nearly died on the two wall climbs.  The roadie was neck and neck with me until we turned to go down the wall - I was laughing and screaming the whole way - it's like a roller coaster incline - seriously!

Anyway, I get back to the bottom of valley view to start my next climb back UP the sucker, and the roadie is gone.  Minutes pass, still gone.  Apparently he decided the only way to beat the recumbent was to CHEAT so he turned around and didn't ride the last leg.

Ah well, final average was 16.7, which I think is great considering the nasty headwind, doing the miles on no carbs whatsoever, and that I got there just 5 minutes before the start of the ride and couldn't warm up.

Working with this group is just amazing training.  Hard to believe that even when doing the hill climb night I'm already faster than I was the first time out on the "easy" night.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print