Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 30th, 2024, 10:35pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RUSA Populaire - 101K (Read 1577 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

RUSA Populaire - 101K
Apr 16th, 2007, 8:51am

Bud and I met with the Lone Star Randonneurs   http://lonestarrandon.tripod.com/  for their populaire 101k.  A populaire is a sort of training/introduction to a full randonnee.  

In spite of the fancy french terminology, the riders were all extremely nice.  It was extremely chilly when we took off - base layer, long sleeve thick winter jersey, and jacket.  It was a simple out 31.5 miles, and back again.  8 miles of quick descent right at the start.  When we started, Bud and I found ourself right in front with 4 DFers and a tandem.  Soon we were following just 2 DFers and the tandem was a bit out in front.  I had no idea how much of a tailwind we hand, but I was suddenly amazed at how I could climb hills at 22mph.  I'm such an idiot.   Grin   I guess I thought I was well rested and trained from the last couple weeks riding in Ceder Hill.

About 20 miles out, the tandem took off like a rocket, heads bobbing to the left and right - they were quickly a half mile ahead of us.  Bud and I kicked it up to 24.5 and finally caught them about a mile before the first control stop.   We pulled into the control and everyone was amazed at the fast bents.  Off went the jersey - it was getting warm.  I felt pretty good, but realized when we started back home into the stiff headwind that I had given too much energy into the chase and had not consumed enough calories.  I still keep thinking I'm on the baron which would have been no problem to maintain speed.  I was able to hold 16.5, but the paceline was moving at 17.5 and i was dead.  Bud was nice enough to fall back and let me suck his wheel so that I could get up to 17 or so.  The paceline left us behind and my knee started to ache.   I think we could have came close to them even so but I hit a snag and thought my derailleur had shifted out of place - turns out the chain was caughrt and rubbing - I'm sure it cost me some speed.  One more stop, stripped down to the baselayer, then it was a few more miles to the last turn, and 8 miles of fairly continual uphill stretches until we were back and turned in our cards.

Paul, randonneuring seems like it was made for you - you should come give it a try.  Next weekend is a 128k and I'm already lookjing forward to it.

Bud, I hadn't noticed before, but my old cassette is only an 11-28 too.  I should have mad climbing skills when I put the 11-32 on.  I'm ordering that titan wheel today - looks good.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: RUSA Populaire - 101K
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2007, 11:04am

Yes, these were friendly folks, and there were others on the ride trying randonneuring for the first time. This seems like a good group to ride with, for those interested in getting started with this kind of riding. It seemed a bit strange, walking into convenience stores, and asking the cashier to sign your card, but I guess you get used to that.

« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2007, 11:05am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2007, 12:13pm

I've done centuries and 200Ks with Brenda Barnell and a friend from the FWBA she rides long ones with (Bill somebody).  It makes for a long day, but is a satisfying time.  However, we tend to keep the speed controlled to 16-18, knowing that it's a long day...   Wink

I haven't done squat this year for long rides since January, but need to get back into it...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2007, 11:40am

Results:

04/15/2007  101k  
Baker Bud                        04h00  
  Driscoll Dan                    04h20  
  Elizondo George              04h20  
  Foster Shellene               04h20  
  Freeman Roseanna         03h54  
  Gross Greg                     04h00  
  Juneau Jeanne                04h20  
  Madison Carol                 04h15  
  Madison Brian                 04h15  
  Martin Todd G                 03h54  
  Phelps Robin                   03h54  
  Phelps Val                       03h54  
  Pogue John                     04h00  
  Pogue Susan                   04h00  
  Stevens Carl                   06h35  
  Wright Pamela                 04h20  

Who the heck was the guy who did it in 6 hours????

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2007, 12:05pm

In a regular brevet, I don't think his time would have counted. You have to average over 10 mph for an official finish.

It kind of reminds you of the story of Lance Armstrong's first race; everyone had gone home and they were tearing down the stage when he finished.

I wonder if the convenience store clerk fudged on his time?

« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2007, 12:09pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print