Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 1st, 2024, 1:00am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SUNUVA----what? (Read 1625 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

SUNUVA----what?
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:11pm

I joined Bud for the Texas Wheels ride tonight.  The idea is to get ~30 miles done before dark.  There were probably 12 of us I guess, includng RAAM competitor Mark Metcalf.

We started down Lake Ridge doing a nice, comfy 22-23mph.  I'm hanging out at the back of the pack and Bud is in the middle.  Just as I decide to move up a few notches we get to a narrow stretch and go single file, so I figure I'll wait before I make my move.

So, I'm looking out at the water and generally lollygagging with the comfy pace and when I look back, the pack is 30 yards ahead of me.  Crap!  They had kicked it up to 25-26mph.  I gear up and hit 26-27 and start to gain some ground, then I get cut off by a car, which scared the crap out of me and I stopped pedalling.  Had to downshift and by the time I got back up to speed, the pack was nearl a 1/4 mile ahead of me.

Bud and the pack had dropped me like it was their JOB.    cry   I tried to catch up but we hit a set of pretty tough hills and I lost sight of them.  The scope of these hills were exactly like Cattle Baron road in Aledo, just a tiny bit shorter.  I didn't know Ceder Hill has hills that serious.  Since I had no idea what the route was, I eventually turned around ot try and catch another guy we had all dropped early on.   I found him and continued on with him until he flatted and since it was getting dark and he was good I put the hammer down to get back to the marina before dark.

Final result  32 miles at 17.5mph.  definately my fastest average on the p-38.  The paceline's average was 21.75  Shocked Shocked Shocked.

Geez I need the lowracer back in a bad way!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: SUNUVA----what?
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2007, 10:46pm

I knew the lead group of this ride would set a pretty good pace, but I didn't know it would be quite this fast. I rode 3 1/2 laps on the Joe Pool dam before the ride, so I could ride my age for the evening (56 miles on my 56th birthday). I averaged 16.9 mph for those miles.

When the club ride started, I hung with the fast paceline until the first major hill, then got dropped like a rock. I would gain on them on the downhills, but lose more on the uphills. It's pretty tough to catch a paceline doing that kind of speed. I ended up averaging 19.1 mph for this part of the ride. My totals for the evening were 57.2 miles at a 17.9 mph average.

Their route was some good hill training, but I didn't much like the traffic on it. If I join this group again, I'll probably split off into the lower traffic residential neighborhoods (like Mark did on Tuesday), whether any others in the group join or not.

« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2007, 10:48pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2007, 9:24am

Greg,

I love your description of a comfy pace as 22-23 mph. Shocked Shocked. Makes me start to wheez just reading it!  

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2007, 10:30am

Quote from Richard on Apr 6th, 2007, 9:24am:
Greg,

I love your description of a comfy pace as 22-23 mph. Shocked Shocked. Makes me start to wheez just reading it!

Cool   Well, comfy in the sense of effort.  I was in a paceline with a little tailwind maybe.  I was still in the middle ring, so you knwo there wasn't as much effort going.   Once I got left, the finishing pace for the route says it all. Smiley

Though I've found the best place for hill repeats for sure!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Apr 10th, 2007, 8:34am

There's something to be said for having a 15 pound bike when you're hill climbing... Sad

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #5 - Apr 10th, 2007, 3:28pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Apr 10th, 2007, 8:34am:
There's something to be said for having a 15 pound bike when you're hill climbing... Sad

And a 135 pound rider too.   Their waists were smaller around than my quads.... Tongue

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print