Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 14th, 2024, 3:50pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FWBA Decatur ride (Read 1389 times)
Bud_Bent

FWBA Decatur ride
Mar 18th, 2007, 9:55pm

I rode 64.3 miles of the FWBA Decatur ride today.  The main problem with that is that it's a 66 mile ride. I cratered less than two miles from the finish, and had to be sagged in. A bonk seems most likely, though looking back, I suspect some dehydration may have been involved, too. I guess it's a good reminder that if you try to do a 66 mile hilly and windy ride at a brisk pace, you should probably do a good job of preparing yourself.

I've been trying to teach myself to use a liquid diet when doing a long ride, like most who do long rides at a fast pace do, but I guess I need to work on that some more. The Accelerade/maltodextrin mix that I thought was enough for this ride, apparently wasn't. I guess there's something to be said for estimating high on nutrition, especially when there's hills and wind involved. I had also ordered one of those small Bento Boxes to stash a couple of gel packs in, but it hasn't arrived yet, and I forgot to put gel packs in my regular bag. When I ran out of my mix at 50 miles, I was out of nutrition. I thought I could finish fine, but I was mistaken.

My day-before-the-ride routine wasn't very good, either. I left for Lake Fork at 4:30 am, and got home at 9:00 pm. My nutrition for the day wasn't so good, and I must have dehydrated some too, because I weighed 190 pounds this morning, 3 pounds less than any other day this week. I also woke up in the middle of the night with a leg cramp, something that hadn't happened in over two years. If I'm going to make these long, grueling fishing trips from March to May, maybe I should restrict myself to shorter rides the following day.

I felt fine most of the ride. The two lead riders had dropped me on some hills at 45 miles, but I reeled them in at mile 51, and they were drafting me down the next hill. When I started up the next hill, I didn't seem to have much strength, and it worsened from there. Each hill after that, I struggled more to get up, until I finally had to stop and walk my bike up a hill. I rode down that hill, but as soon as I started up the next, both legs locked up with cramps, my right leg with a cramp on the front of my thigh, my left leg with a cramp on the back of my thigh. After stopping and waiting for the cramps to subside, I walked my bike up this hill, but when I reached the top and started to climb back on the bike, I realized I was too weak and dizzy to continue, classic bonk symptoms.

I sat down beside the road, and a horse wandered up to the fence right behind me to keep me company. One rider had passed me as I walked up the first hill, but after I stopped, it was over 15 minutes before the next rider showed up (even after walking up two hills!). As I explained to him that I couldn't continue, I realized that my speech was slurred, and he said he'd be back for me. A rider gave me a Payday candy bar, and as I sat beside the road eating it, I had this inexplicable craving for a large bag of Fritos, and when I stopped for a subway sandwich after the ride, I did get the Fritos too. A fun sport, isn't it?

« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2007, 10:32pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: FWBA Decatur ride
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2007, 1:19pm

youch!  Sorry Bud.  It sounds like the day before was what got ya.  All day in the elements combined with dehydration and not enough food, and then do it again the next day will certainly kill you.   I'm toying around with the idea of two camelbaks - one with water and cytomax, and the other with full strength accelerade.  Alexis and I did 60 on Saturday, but it was at her 12.6mph pace, so I was fine with 3 servings of accelerade and a wrap sandwich.    

Have the symptoms completely gone away?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2007, 2:07pm

I felt fine by the time I got home, just tired. I took the trouble to put a serious calculator to the calories I was getting from my mix, and as I suspected, it wasn't enough. Still, you would think that as many miles as I ride, I wouldn't bonk in 4 1/2 hours. I, too, tend to think that my body being stressed from the day before had something to do with it. There really isn't any reason to stand on a boat deck with fishing rod in hand from 7:00 am to 6:30 pm anyway, is there?

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2007, 7:01pm

depends on how big the fish you're reeling in are, I suspect!  Gues I'm going to have to start going with you so you can get home in a reasonable hour!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print