Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Mar 28th, 2024, 11:40pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
New to me Nocom! (Read 7473 times)
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: New to me Nocom!
Reply #30 - Feb 22nd, 2018, 8:03am

What is your X-seam and inseam? You can send an email to bbqjerry at gmail dot com. Maybe we can figure something out.

Quote from aikigreg on Feb 21st, 2018, 11:02pm:
Yup. Super low miles and super will taken care of.  I haven't really thought of a price but so long as i don't lose much in it, I'd much rather give a good friend a good deal. If you decide you want it, holler at me.

Quote from jayg on Feb 21st, 2018, 10:06pm:
Quote from jrob_bent on Feb 21st, 2018, 6:27pm:
You know it Jay! I have everything except the chain on. I am awaiting an answer from Warren if I need to drive the boom in with a plastic auto body hammer.

I drove in the carbon boom on my Velocraft VK2 by whacking one of the crank arm ends with a rubber hammer. Didn't want to take a chance of cracking the carbon fiber by hitting it.

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #31 - Feb 22nd, 2018, 8:24am

Quote from jrob_bent on Feb 21st, 2018, 10:37pm:
You know it Jay! I have everything except the chain on. I am awaiting an answer from Warren if I need to drive the boom in with a plastic auto body hammer.

I drove in the carbon boom on my Velocraft VK2 by whacking one of the crank arm ends with a rubber hammer. Didn't want to take a chance of cracking the carbon fiber by hitting it.

I got the boom in Jay, but now I have to decide whether to cut the boom shorter and the boom tube on the frame. My legs are too darn short! Might even have to cut a chunk out from the frame and seat, and put it back together and reinforce it. I don't think I would stretch enough by being put in a rack. Such is life. I'll make sure I can get it to fit before doing anything like cutting it. I might have to find someone who fits it and sell it. Smiley  Smiley

If a 170 mm crankset is installed on the bike, you could gain almost 1", if you installed a 150 mm crankset (I have them on all my recumbents). Might not have to cut the boom or would have to cut less off the end. You probably already know that.  

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #32 - Feb 22nd, 2018, 8:52am

Quote from jayg on Feb 22nd, 2018, 8:24am:
Quote from jrob_bent on Feb 21st, 2018, 10:37pm:

I got the boom in Jay, but now I have to decide whether to cut the boom shorter and the boom tube on the frame. My legs are too darn short! Might even have to cut a chunk out from the frame and seat, and put it back together and reinforce it. I don't think I would stretch enough by being put in a rack. Such is life. I'll make sure I can get it to fit before doing anything like cutting it. I might have to find someone who fits it and sell it. Smiley  Smiley

If a 170 mm crankset is installed on the bike, you could gain almost 1", if you installed a 150 mm crankset (I have them on all my recumbents). Might not have to cut the boom or would have to cut less off the end. You probably already know that.

I would need to cut 2"s off the boom and boom tube plus go to 160 mm or 155 mm cranks. I have been talking to a guy who has re-fabricated 5-6 NoCom and has built several bikes, trikes, and Battle Mountain streamliners. He actually made the designed and built the new Cruzbike Vendetta prototype bike. He thinks cutting down the boom tube and boom would be ok. So does Dana from Bent Up Cycles. I'll get it to fit one way or another! Ha. If I have to Jay, I'll use a BFH!  
In the construction trade that is bigger and hammer.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #33 - Feb 22nd, 2018, 4:28pm

I have the NoCom where I can lock into the pedals! My foot is straight down with my leg fully extended. Now I need to buy 155 mm cranks, or cut down some 170-175 mm cranks that I have. Getting close, Yahoo!

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #34 - Feb 22nd, 2018, 7:06pm

Quote from jrob_bent on Feb 22nd, 2018, 4:28pm:
I have the NoCom where I can lock into the pedals! My foot is straight down with my leg fully extended. Now I need to buy 155 mm cranks, or cut down some 170-175 mm cranks that I have. Getting close, Yahoo!

Jerry, you would need 180 mm cranks to produce 155 mm cranks.

Too bad you don't live closer to me. I have the jig, drill, taps, sanding drum and buffing compound needed to produce nice-looking 150 mm cranks from 175 mm cranks. 150 mm cranks would work fine for you. They work for me, and I don't have anywhere near your leg strength. Main benefit for me is my knees don't hurt anymore.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #35 - Feb 22nd, 2018, 8:01pm

Sending you a PM Jay.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #36 - Feb 23rd, 2018, 8:43pm

Thanks Jay. You are the best! I wont make it Tuesday. Mom is having Surgery Monday. Maybe the following Tuesday if everything goes right. I can't wait to zip around WRL on my little girl! Smiley I'll have it all put together in a couple more days. I ordered new chain rings and chain, and got my new Schwalbe one tires today. I bought the folding version of the one's.  

Thanks again and let me know if I can help you out.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #37 - Feb 24th, 2018, 8:30pm

Thanks to Jay, I have the NoCom fitted so it fits me. I almost had it ready to ride by late this evening, but ended up taking the Baron out for a quick night time ride. I hope to have the sweet thing at WRL next week.  

Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #38 - Feb 25th, 2018, 9:14pm

Quote from jrob_bent on Feb 19th, 2018, 10:59am:
Screw FedEx! I called and ask them if I could pickup my package today since they were not going to deliver it until tomorrow. The guy on the phone said sure, no problem. So I requested it be held at the local Center for me to pickup. After he made the change, he told me it would be ready for pickup for pickup tomorrow after 5pm. What! I said now way, just have it delivered to the original home address. So sorry, once it has been tagged to hold, it can not be undone. Go F#@$ yourself FedEx. I will never ever use FedEx again. And some dumbass politicians want to replace the USPS with these money hungry idiots, no way. End of pissed off rant!

Oh yeah, I forgot. My package sat 98 miles from here for 16 hours before it was shipped out for Ft. Worth. Two day delivery has turned into 5 day delivery! A$@wipes! Now end of rant for real.

You bought it from Warren in Chicago? If it's the same one I saw him on 6 years ago you will have quite a time learning how to use the "machine gun" steering wheel he added

IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #39 - Feb 26th, 2018, 7:10am

Quote from mleuck on Feb 25th, 2018, 9:14pm:
Screw FedEx! I called and ask them if I could pickup my package today since they were not going to deliver it until tomorrow. The guy on the phone said sure, no problem. So I requested it be held at the local Center for me to pickup. After he made the change, he told me it would be ready for pickup for pickup tomorrow after 5pm. What! I said now way, just have it delivered to the original home address. So sorry, once it has been tagged to hold, it can not be undone. Go F#@$ yourself FedEx. I will never ever use FedEx again. And some dumbass politicians want to replace the USPS with these money hungry idiots, no way. End of pissed off rant!

Oh yeah, I forgot. My package sat 98 miles from here for 16 hours before it was shipped out for Ft. Worth. Two day delivery has turned into 5 day delivery! A$@wipes! Now end of rant for real.

You bought it from Warren in Chicago? If it's the same one I saw him on 6 years ago you will have quite a time learning how to use the "machine gun" steering wheel he added

Yes, bought it from Warren. It came with two different handle bars, the gunners you mentioned and regular tiller bars. I think getting it to fit me will be harder than learning to get use to he gunners. I had to get 150 mm cranks from Jay and cut several inches off the boom and front end. I will have to repair the front by reinforcing with some carbon fiber cloth and epoxy. I might put the tiller on for now.  

If I can perform with it anywhere near how Warren did with it, I'll be a happy old man.

« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2018, 7:10am by jrob_bent »  

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #40 - Feb 26th, 2018, 7:14am

Congrats!!!!!!!!!  Awesome pickup.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #41 - Feb 26th, 2018, 2:34pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Feb 26th, 2018, 7:14am:
Congrats!!!!!!!!!  Awesome pickup.

Thanks Paul. Our mutual acquaintance in Ohio says you would be unbeatable if you had a bike like this! I think he might be right.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #42 - Feb 26th, 2018, 4:19pm

I went to the local bike shop close to the hospital where my mom had her Pacemaker put in this morning in Alexandria, LA. I was able to buy the two chain rings I wanted with the correct BCD. They wanted a picture of me holding the NoCom and kept saying, that is one bad ass bike! Ha ha. Then the owner and head mechanic wanted pictures of them in front of it. The owner of the shop is way too cool.

Jay, I'll have the Q rings back to you when I come to WRL. I have the other set of rings coming by slow boat from China. Should only be 39-45 more days for them to arrive. Thanks for the loan Jay. I didn't use them at all.

Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #43 - Feb 26th, 2018, 10:18pm

Quote from jrob_bent on Feb 26th, 2018, 7:10am:

Yes, bought it from Warren. It came with two different handle bars, the gunners you mentioned and regular tiller bars. I think getting it to fit me will be harder than learning to get use to he gunners. I had to get 150 mm cranks from Jay and cut several inches off the boom and front end. I will have to repair the front by reinforcing with some carbon fiber cloth and epoxy. I might put the tiller on for now.

If I can perform with it anywhere near how Warren did with it, I'll be a happy old man.

I would seriously get rid of the gunners and switch to more the conventional tiller, much easier learning curve

The Nocom is a no-nonsense racer not designed for regular roads, I was amazed Warren and some of the other guys brought theirs to ride around Wisconsin, funny thing was I was faster than everyone except Warren, he was a beast on his

IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #44 - Feb 28th, 2018, 9:47am

Quote from mleuck on Feb 26th, 2018, 10:18pm:
Quote from jrob_bent on Feb 26th, 2018, 7:10am:

I would seriously get rid of the gunners and switch to more the conventional tiller, much easier learning curve

The Nocom is a no-nonsense racer not designed for regular roads, I was amazed Warren and some of the other guys brought theirs to ride around Wisconsin, funny thing was I was faster than everyone except Warren, he was a beast on his

I had gunners on two of my bikes. If you just barely move your hand, you will move quite quickly. I have a set of tillers sent with the bike. For riding on the roads I will use the tiller. I'll use the gunners just for racing which should not be more than 3-4 times a year.  

I don't know how long it will take to adapt to the NoCom, but I bought it to break the Masters 200 M sprint and kilo. The sprint and kilo record is held by Phil Phlatt on a Morciglio M1. He was around 51, I am just a few years older, 14! I was within a little less than 2 mph from the record last year on the Baron. I would run out of gearing around the 140-150 meter mark. I needed a 56t chain ring instead of a 53t. Maybe even a 58t.  

Headed to Alexandria, LA to the bike shop for a Shimano chain pin to re-connect the chain. !40 miles round trip. I am going crazy not being able to ride the bike yet. It has stormed every day since I bought it. It is flooding all over over here in Louisiana.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print