Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Mar 28th, 2024, 4:02am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Garmin SNAFU (Read 1017 times)
reever

rbent member

Garmin SNAFU
Jan 27th, 2018, 7:57pm

Anyone else have a problem with their Garmin devices this week? My 920xt froze up shortly after a little 2 minute software update before my ride two days ago. When I got back home, it was frozen. I called Garmin and the wait time was an hour and a half. I opted to have them call me back. The guy I talked to said the new software update really messed up the wifi side of the Garmin world, so as we straightened out everything we skipped setting up the wifi connection. He said he would email me when it was safe to set up wifi again.

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Re: Garmin SNAFU
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2018, 11:49pm

Its been the story of Garmin of late ..      

Rules for garmin cycle computers

1. DO not update until after the update has been in circulation a few weeks
2. DO not update until after you have checked the garmin forums for the howling of the users who have lost rides -- especially their precious KOM proof
3. DO not update until you are sure you don't have a ride within the next business day. (giving you time to flash it back to life)
4. Do all your screens, routes, etc at home at least a day (or better yet a week before the ride)
5. Power it completely off the night before the ride .. Do not power it back on until near the ride start
6. Do not adjust your personal stats on the ride
7. Do not edit the course while on the ride
8. Do not change screens while on the ride
9. Do not power it off, or put it in standby while on the ride
10. Do not gaze at it too hard

Failure to head these rules will result in lockup, loss of data and long wait times with Garmins so called "help" line  

Quote from reever on Jan 27th, 2018, 7:57pm:
Anyone else have a problem with their Garmin devices this week? My 920xt froze up shortly after a little 2 minute software update before my ride two days ago. When I got back home, it was frozen. I called Garmin and the wait time was an hour and a half. I opted to have them call me back. The guy I talked to said the new software update really messed up the wifi side of the Garmin world, so as we straightened out everything we skipped setting up the wifi connection. He said he would email me when it was safe to set up wifi again.

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2018, 7:54pm

Is this any way to run an airline?  Sheesh!  I have had Garmin problems ever since my first one.  What with messing up my cadence readings, real-time MPH display, max. MPH, etc., not to mention how the updates always seem to knock the devices off their rockers.   Smiley

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2018, 8:09pm

Hey, I lost a workout in this process, but it was a TERRIBLE ride in really windy conditions.....felt like I had the flu.....just wanted to get off my bike and back home to drink me some hot coffee. Oh, well........

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print