Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Mar 28th, 2024, 4:41pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tubeless Pro One attempt, redux (Read 2871 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Tubeless Pro One attempt, redux
Jan 25th, 2018, 6:42pm

I attempted to ride with "tubeless" Pro One 20" tires on the front of the SprintX last spring, and all went well for a month or so, until the right side tire decided to deflate while sitting in the back of my car...  made a mess, and I couldn't get it to reseal with just a hand/floor pump.  Went back to Duranos with tubes, cleaned up the Pro One tires, and put them away.

Last week, I let myself be convinced to try "tubeless" again, since they were just sitting in the garage... I successfully mounted both tires onto the wheels, Sunday night, putting in the 2 oz. of "Stan's NoTubes" fluid, and using a CO2 cartridge to give it enough of a blast of gas to seat/seal the tire on the rim, rotating the tire for a while to distribute the liquid evenly, pressurizing them to 80 psi.  Everything appeared to be fine, and I went out for a 5 minute ride, with no issues.

Monday night when I got home, I discovered that the right side tire had deflated again, leaving a puddle on my garage floor...   Angry  

What would make a tubeless tire suddenly deflate like this, just sitting there?

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Re: Tubeless Pro One attempt, redux
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2018, 7:41pm

Same tire or rim?  

Sounds like the bead is not seating on that tire and causing it to lose pressure.  I’ve been running a pro one(700) on my trike now for over a year and no issues at all, even when it hangs in the garage for months without being ridden it still maintains 40-50 psi.

Makes one wonder if the rims are indeed tubeless or if there is an issue with one of the tires.  

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
bob wand
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2018, 8:41pm

Paul, Take a look at this video

https://youtu.be/i0aB0Ip3AzY

IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2018, 2:22pm

I had similar results with my 29er MTB I got this fall while converting to tubeless.  Finally solved the issue after 2 changes:

1. replaced the valve stems that came with my "tubeless ready" wheelset that came on the bike with some Stans valve stems
https://www.notubes.com/valve-stem-pair-universal-presta-44mm

The ones that came with my rims were directional (beveled on 2 ends) and would twist while tightening up the nut

2.  replaced the rim tape with gorilla tape (maybe not necessary but originals got all messed up with my failed attempts)

Both tires have been fine since I made these two changes in early October.

I have a compressor if that will help you seat the tires.  I definitely needed it on the 29x2.3 tires I am running.

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2018, 7:46pm

'preciate it, friends!  Bob, I had done the soapy water thing on the rim, but had not checked the valve itself...

Paul

TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jan 26th, 2018, 8:28pm

The weird thing for me was I used soapy water to check for leaks and had none.  It was fine for about 12 hours (even rode it around the block) then I came home from work to find the sealant all over my garage floor as well.  It wasn't even hot so it isn't like the tube over heated and blew off the rim.  

I'm glad I didn't leave my bike inside like I do sometimes.... my wife would probably would have thrown all my stuff out in the front yard.

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #6 - Jan 31st, 2018, 9:36am

cleaning the rims is  very important ..   I use 99% alcohol and wipe them down until the cotton comes back visually the same (no dirt, oil etc)  in the groove where the tire seat will occur, need to do the same thing where the valve will seat too ..  I've had a tiny bit of grit there cause no-end of headache.  

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7 - Feb 26th, 2018, 12:58pm

Replaced the rim tape, which was previously extending into the bead seat area, and cleaned various things...  Tires are now holding pressure nicely, although I haven't done much actual RIDING on them yet...  Thanks for your feedback, guys!

MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #8 - Feb 28th, 2018, 11:31am

I just built a set of replacement tubeless for my DF using lighter parts DT spokes, ceramic hybrid bearings along with heat-sinked hubs from Genko  ..   Came out under 1000g even with the CF cover   These are set up to take the 160 PSI Pro Ones.  

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Feb 26th, 2018, 12:58pm:
Replaced the rim tape, which was previously extending into the bead seat area, and cleaned various things...  Tires are now holding pressure nicely, although I haven't done much actual RIDING on them yet...  Thanks for your feedback, guys!

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print