Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 19th, 2024, 8:57pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Steering stabiliser - smooth out "MY" input ??? (Read 1721 times)
Cheve11e

rbent member

Steering stabiliser - smooth out "MY" input ???
Dec 20th, 2017, 6:21pm

SmileyI'm having my GS GT5 looked over - adjusted and tuned up at John's Smiley - when I get it back I'm going to experiment with mounting some kind of a stabilizer  Smileyand some kind of a self centering thingy Smiley. I've got some ideas from some that have done this, but not on a GreenSpeed.  I thinks its do-able, but any other advice is always welcome - this is WAY, WAY over my head (but I'm going to attempt it anyhow) Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Steering stabiliser - smooth out "MY" input ??
Reply #1 - Dec 20th, 2017, 11:35pm

How many miles do you have on recumbent trikes?  After several hundred miles, that wondering problem that frosh trikers have has melted away.  It's because of old upright habits which don't translate, (at least directly), to recumbency, especially to trikes. First, there is the unconscious pulling back and forth on the steering bars.  Then, there is the rocking of the torso which isn't nearly as efficient on a trike as it is on an upright.  There are even long-time trike pilots who still do it. Take it from me, it is worth the focus to isolate the motion below the beltline from the torso.  "Coiling," crouching closer to the pedals and even bending at the waist for high-energy sprints are helpful, but to dampen rocking, you might lower the gear, increasing the cadence, not drastically, but bit by bit, and notice the effect each time.  
Hope this helps.   Smiley

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
Cheve11e

rbent member

Reply #2 - Dec 21st, 2017, 4:32pm

Thanks, I do appreciate your input; However, I have many, many, many K's of miles and over Ten years of riding this trike - I have a progressive degenerative neurological disorder that effects & affects my balance AND motor skills so the wondering on the trike is actually been getting more challenging for me to del with.  I ride a GS GT5 and I think some of this is 'the trike'  - I've heard that the series ll's are much, much better.  Ive actually have looked for a lightly used one that I could test that theory out on, but have not come across a local one - I have a 'feeling' that an X5 with the more cambered wheels may even be more to my liking.  I have even found one for sale, but she wants a good & pretty penny or two for it ($2500 doesn't seem REALLY bad, but just for theory - my pockets are not that deep SSIDisablity) I have seen a little bits here and there about adding a stabilizer and 'if' I can and 'if' it works like they say then that would be my answer.  So I'm looking for advice or information on doing that to my GS.
David

Email   IP Logged
Cheve11e

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2018, 4:28pm

Wink just waiting for Amazon Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Cheve11e

rbent member

Reply #4 - May 28th, 2018, 5:16pm

Grin Cheesy Grin IT on and working GREAT - if I knew how to post some pictures I would share them ...????

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print