Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 19th, 2024, 1:37am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2018 Dallas Senior Games (Read 9030 times)
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: 2018 Dallas Senior Games
Reply #15 - Jan 3rd, 2018, 6:32pm

Thanks for the update. I'll sign up on the 22nd.

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #16 - Jan 4th, 2018, 5:58pm

Today, Dean Wilkinson asked me to post the following, re: The Senior Games...

Daniel, would you post the following information for the recumbent cyclists in the
Dallas/Ft.Worth area.

Dallas Senior Games Cycling Events(50+ male& female)
Registration begins Jan 22nd and runs thru Feb 28th
Google:  Dallas Senior Games 2018
cyclist contact-Dean Wilkinson   214-957-2195  deanwilk@sbcglobal.net

Date-          March 17&18
Location-    TX Motor Speedway
Schedule-   March 17th (Sat) -  5KTT, 10KTT- 20K Road Race
Schedule-   March 18th (Sun)-40K Road Race
Start Time-  9:00 a.m. (both days)
Separate Recumbent Division-   2 wheel Recumbents (no fairings)
                                                  3 wheel Recumbents (no fairings)
                                                  (No velomobile divison)

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #17 - Jan 24th, 2018, 11:08am

Dallas Senior Games cycling registration is open, and they seem to have everything working correctly on their registration pages, regarding recumbents and 2 vs. 3 wheels for all events.  I'm signed up...

http://www.dallasparks.org/483/Senior-Games

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #18 - Jan 24th, 2018, 11:39am

I signed up for the 5k, 10k, and 20k.

Email   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #19 - Mar 14th, 2018, 11:34am

Hi everyone. I wanted to check to see if there were still rbenters participating in the Senior Games this Saturday.  I won't be racing but thought I'd come out to cheer you on like last year.  Hope to see a large contingent of recumbents ( 2 and 3 wheels).

IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #20 - Mar 14th, 2018, 8:57pm

I will be there Saturday morning. I am not in shape at all, but I'll do my best. I got an email from UPS that my expanding nut for the NoCom steering tube will be delivered tomorrow. The NoCom should help improve my pathetic physical shape just a little. I hope to see everyone who comes out Saturday.  

Jerry

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #21 - Mar 17th, 2018, 3:04pm

Met Reever, Reever's wife, Paul, Stephen from Houston, and Diannalightning at the TMS. They had my 10k time right, my 5k was way off. My computer said 8:52, they said 10:03. They got my 10k right, but gave Paul Value instead of a time! I'll let Paul tell the rest of that. Had fun. Wish I had wore some warmer clothes. It was cold until the 10k. Decided not to do the 20k since I barely was able to finish the 10k. I'll be back next year in a lot better shape.  

Only a total of 5 recumbents this year. I learned where Easy Street is putting his new shop. Only about a mile from my house! Yahoo! I can't tell you yet because Mike made me swear if I did, I would have to off you1  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #22 - Mar 17th, 2018, 5:02pm

Quote from jrob_bent on Mar 17th, 2018, 3:04pm:
Met Reever, Reever's wife, Paul, Stephen from Houston, and Diannalightning at the TMS. They had my 10k time right, my 5k was way off. My computer said 8:52, they said 10:03. They got my 10k right, but gave Paul Value instead of a time! I'll let Paul tell the rest of that. Had fun. Wish I had wore some warmer clothes. It was cold until the 10k. Decided not to do the 20k since I barely was able to finish the 10k. I'll be back next year in a lot better shape.

Only a total of 5 recumbents this year. I learned where Easy Street is putting his new shop. Only about a mile from my house! Yahoo! I can't tell you yet because Mike made me swear if I did, I would have to off you1  Smiley

Wish I had shown up so I would know where mike was going, maybe you could tell me where you live and I can figure it out from thereSmiley

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #23 - Mar 17th, 2018, 5:10pm

Quote from Phantom Rider on Mar 17th, 2018, 5:02pm:
Quote from jrob_bent on Mar 17th, 2018, 3:04pm:

Wish I had shown up so I would know where mike was going, maybe you could tell me where you live and I can figure it out from thereSmiley

Mike said he is just waiting for the signed lease contract to make it official. I live in NRH and the shop will be about 200 feet from the Cotton Belt Trail on the Keller/NRH city lines.

Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #24 - Mar 18th, 2018, 11:46am

My Dallas Senior Games report......by reever.

Wow, my first thought was I really wish there were more of us out there......it was a really nice day.

Started out chilly. Winds were from the north this year in contrast to last year's COLDER south winds. There was a nice rest between the 5k and the 10k, so it was nice for the 10k.

Last year's wind pushed us up (and down the hills), but this year it was the double whammy of uphill and against the wind. This year we got the push on the straight where we started.

As a result, all of our average speeds were faster on the 10k than it was on the 5k. We got two tailwinds and only one headwind. It could also be because we were warmed up from the 5k.

I would encourage everyone out there to come to this event if for no other reason than to establish an easy marker for how your sprinting fitness is year by year. Use the hotter n hell or some century to mark your endurance year by year.

Here are my results from two years of the event......5k(2017) 8:21 22.4ave  (2018) 8:46  21.3ave ......10k(2017) 18:04  20.59ave        (2018) 16:41 22.2ave......... 20K actually 10.3miles (2017) 37:16 19.96ave  (2018) 29:36  20.9ave. Actually, last year the "20k" was actually shorter--only two laps or 10 miles. This year they started from the infield and then did two laps.

Of course, the hit of the event again this year was the great folks from Easy Street coming out and treating everyone to hamburgers and hot dogs and shelter from the wind and sun under their big tent! Next year it should be even better with their store open somewhere near the Texas Motor Speedway.  
Steve from Houston--really powerful dude--riding his gorgeous orange Bachetta CA2, broke one of his seat supports crossing the finish line on the 10k. Mike was there to fix him up. Darn, why couldn't Steve have broken that thing somewhere just before the finish so he couldn't have beaten me by four seconds??????
I guess he was paying me back for beating him by the same four second margin in the 5k. Jrob was fighting his lungs all day, as sucking in all of that cold air clamped down on his bronchial tubes.
And Paul and my wife both had nobody to race against! One trike total, and one female recumbent bike!!! I hope we show up in bigger numbers next year.

« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2018, 4:29pm by reever »  

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #25 - Mar 18th, 2018, 1:39pm

Paul did have someone to race in the 10k, me! I had a 2 minute head start and he caught and passed me. If he were on the Baron or other fast 2 wheeler, he would have caught more people. A little past half way in the 10k I almost pulled over and quit, but thought that would look too bad on the recumbent division. Got to go for now, about 10 more pieces of sod waiting on me! Smiley

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #26 - Mar 20th, 2018, 11:59am

I had registered for all races, 5/10/20 and 40K, but wound up doing only the 5 and 10...  and yes, I was the only trike!  Being March, and with the crappy weather the last couple of months, I was only hoping to hold 18+mph for any of the races.

Good to meet and goof around with all the 'benters, although there weren't that many of us, due to various individual circumstances.  I had been looking forward to competing against Steven Jackson on his 700, but he pulled out.

Also nice of Mike Librik to come up with Rebecca, to cook burgers and have a place to hang out - wish we would have had more takers!

My 5K almost didn't happen... I was last on the start list, and with several more to go in front of me, I went to the bathroom... when I got back, everyone else had already gone!  Fortunately, I was next, and had 30 seconds to spare before my start time...  but that didn't give me time to start my Strava tracker, dangit...  Plus, we had all waited at least 30-40 minutes for all the DF riders to launch ahead of us, so we weren't exactly freshly warmed up.

That short incline on the west side was also into the wind, so my speed dropped to 16mph in that section - but I finished in under 9 minutes, for a 21.0 average...

That was about 9:45AM...  and then they said that the 10K wasn't going to start until 11AM...  so there was a lot of just hanging out -- thanks again to Easy Street!

The 10K was about the same experience -- wait 30+ minutes for the DFs to go, then the recumbents.  This time, I stayed at the start!  They let JRob go, then they held me for 2 minutes because Tim Oudjesky wasn't there for his time slot.  By this time, the sun had come out, and the wind had died down a LITTLE bit...  I was able to stay above 16mph on the westside climb, this time, and held ~22-24mph most of the way around -- With about two miles to go, I spotted JRob!  So, the chase was on, and I caught him with about 1/2 mile to go -- he sped up to pace me, but couldn't hold it, and I finished about 10 seconds ahead of him, with a 17:20, for a ~21.5mph average.

As soon as I got back to the start, they were announcing the 20K!!!!   I said, "Oh, hell, noo...." and bagged it, and skipped the Sunday 40K as well, mostly due to the damp/drizzle conditions and the hour-long drive over there.

As JRob said, they had mis-entered my 10K time, and even when "corrected" had me at 15:50 -- which means beating both Reever and Steven, which I KNOW didn't happen....  Probably because there were rider gaps on the spreadsheet.  So, if they announced my speed as ~23.5 mph, they LIED...  Cheesy

A reasonably good time, and the overall atmosphere was much friendlier towards the 'bents this year, although they had us all starting last for all TTs.

Thanks, to all!

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #27 - Mar 21st, 2018, 10:03am

Dianna, you were right. I weighed the Baron and it was 36+ pounds. I forgot I had removed the tailbox. That made it 43 pounds! Next year I will be on the NoCom at 23-24 pounds!

I wish they would move the Senior games to around June. I guess there is too much going on then for them to get to use the TMS.

Email   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #28 - Mar 21st, 2018, 6:28pm

Paul, JRob-
Just an FYI, Patti has your medals.  Contact her via PM.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print