Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 25th, 2024, 9:28am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Pactour Southern Transcon (Read 13613 times)
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Pactour Southern Transcon
Reply #30 - Sep 29th, 2017, 7:06pm

Monticello AR to Indianola MS
9/29/17
Day 20, Pac Tour Southern Transcon: On paper, it looked like an easy day. Practically no climbing, 108 miles. Reality: a mother of a headwind - changed everything! Highlight: crossed the Mississippi River! The bridge accounted for a third of our climbing for the day. We left the forest in Arkansas by the first 15 miles. After that, it was all agricultural land, flat as a pancake. The only crop was cotton. We had about 45 miles of that when we reached the Mississippi River levy and saw the bridge for the first time. It's a new bridge with a nice wide bike lane on either side. We took photos from the bridge, then descended into Mississippi (no state sign). Most of our roads in SE Arkansas were exceedingly rough - kind of like riding a rumble strip - terrible. Mississippi was no better - unbelievably rough roads and by then the headwind was stronger as well. Still in cotton country - wide open flat land with nothing to break the wind! Didn't seem like we'd ever finish as we were cruising at 12 to 15 mph for much of it. Cruising is not the right word - clawing our way forward is more descriptive of out effort. We did of course finally reach Indianola, our destination with 108.4 mles, a 14.8 avg, and 600 ft of climbing!
BIKE: Neuvation road bike; start time: 8:14; end: 17:17; avg:14.8; max: 23.5; climb: 656; miles: 108.42
SUNNY; wind: NE 10-20; start  temp: 66; min: 61; avg: 80; max: 102; end: 78
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2017505495

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #31 - Sep 30th, 2017, 5:03pm

Indianola to Kosciusko
9/30/17
Day 21, Pac Tour Southern Transcon: This was the easy day we expected yesterday! We had pleasant temperatures, good roads, light traffic, and easy climbs. The scenery was good both in the first half of the ride, which was flat and the second half of the ride, which was hilly. Other than the first climb, which was 10%, all the other climbs were easy and doable in the big ring. Didn't break a sweat on most of them. We had possible alligator sightings in a lake we passed, although it was too far to confirm. Total miles for Pac Tour in September was 2241. Total mileage for the month was 2543 and total climbing for the month was over 87000. This is the best September I've ever had and mileage for the month is the best month I've had since July 1999 when I did my first transcon and had 3146 miles for that month.
BIKE: Neuvation road bike; start time: 7:46; end: 15:41; avg:15.4; max: 30.8; climb: 2011; miles: 100.45
SUNNY; wind: NE 10-15; start  temp: 63; min: 63; avg: 79; max: 109; end: 84
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2022694601

« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2017, 5:19pm by square_corners »  
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #32 - Oct 1st, 2017, 6:34pm

Kosciusko MS to Livingston AL
10/1/17
Day 22, Pac Tour Southern Transcon: Today was our 6th longest day and 6th highest climbing total for the trip. (The second longest day will be tomorrow.) We did nearly 115 miles today with nearly 5200 ft of climbing. At mile 102, we crossed into Alabama. This is a new state for me in terms of cycling. I'd been to Alabama before but had never cycled in the state, before. This brings my "cycled in" state count to 38. There was no "state line sign" welcoming us to Alabama nor even an indication we were passing into a new state. The only give away was that we were told the road would become rougher, and it did! Shortly after, though, we turned onto another road which was nice and smooth. There was no difference in foliage - pine forest rules in each state!
BIKE: Neuvation road bike; start time: 7:43; end: 15:41; avg:14.3; max: 34; climb: 5194; miles: 114.81
SUNNY; wind: SE 10-15; start  temp: 63; min: 61; avg: 76; max: 100; end: 75
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2030097109

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #33 - Oct 2nd, 2017, 9:35pm

Livingston to Greenville
10/2/17
Day 23, Pac Tour Southern Transcon: Today was one of the hardest days of the trip, so far. It was the second longest ride of the trip at 127 miles and hilly with over 4200 feet of climbing, most of which was in the second half of the ride. Also, we had a persistent strong headwind for almost all of it. The headwind made it an ordeal. Very steep climbs at the end added insult to injury as I was pretty much wiped out by then due to the headwind and constant climbing. Those steep ones at the end really challenged my ability to climb, as tired as I was. But climb I did - I don't give up easily, and today I didn't give up. The next 3 days may be equally as difficult - the east wind is predicted to be with us each day. We are getting down to the end but there seems to be no let up in challenging days.
BIKE: Neuvation road bike; start time: 7:42; end: 17:53; avg:14.5; max: 34.5; climb: 4239; miles: 127.02
MOSTLY CLOUDY; wind: E 5-15; start  temp: 64; min: 63; avg: 75; max: 95; end: 68
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2035489968

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #34 - Oct 2nd, 2017, 9:57pm

Headwinds?   i didn't notice  Grin  

i did find some hills though   undecided  

Just remember, if its flat, or easy, it wouldn't be pactour  

Quote from square_corners on Oct 2nd, 2017, 9:35pm:
Livingston to Greenville
10/2/17
Day 23, Pac Tour Southern Transcon: Today was one of the hardest days of the trip, so far. It was the second longest ride of the trip at 127 miles and hilly with over 4200 feet of climbing, most of which was in the second half of the ride. Also, we had a persistent strong headwind for almost all of it. The headwind made it an ordeal. Very steep climbs at the end added insult to injury as I was pretty much wiped out by then due to the headwind and constant climbing. Those steep ones at the end really challenged my ability to climb, as tired as I was. But climb I did - I don't give up easily, and today I didn't give up. The next 3 days may be equally as difficult - the east wind is predicted to be with us each day. We are getting down to the end but there seems to be no let up in challenging days.
BIKE: Neuvation road bike; start time: 7:42; end: 17:53; avg:14.5; max: 34.5; climb: 4239; miles: 127.02
MOSTLY CLOUDY; wind: E 5-15; start  temp: 64; min: 63; avg: 75; max: 95; end: 68
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2035489968

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #35 - Oct 4th, 2017, 9:57pm

Greenville to Eufala
10/3/17
Day 24, Pac Tour Southern Transcon: Flags at half-staff - assuming due to Las Vegas shootings? Anyway, today was easier because I took it easier. Still strong headwind and 4900+ ft of climbing in 110 miles. This was day 24, Greenville to Eufala, last day in Alabama on the PAC TOUR SOUTHERN TRANSCON. We've got 3 days left, about 320 miles and about 6500 more feet of climbing. The headwind is expected to stay with us to the end - no rest for the weary as they say! Alabama has been a beautiful state. Tomorrow we'll see what Georgia has in store for us!
BIKE: Neuvation road bike; start time: 7:12; end: 17:53; avg:13.7; max: 35; climb: 4938; miles: 110.1
PARTLY CLOUDY; wind: E 8-15; start  temp: 64; min: 61; avg: 76; max: 99; end: 79
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2039558545

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #36 - Oct 4th, 2017, 9:58pm

Eufala AL to Cordele GA
10/4/17
DAY 25, EUFALA AL TO CORDELE GA, PAC TOUR SOUTHERN TRANSCON: This was another day of strong east wind. It was a 12 mph forecast wind but the flags were stretched out taut! 12 my behind! It was more like 24! There were some beautiful views in Georgia and I didn't hesitate to stop and take pictures. The distance was 116 miles, 3900 ft of climbing. Most of the climbing was done by mile 82 (lunch) so then it was just the headwind and that was enough.
BIKE: Neuvation road bike; start time: 7:13; end: 17:19; avg:13.6; max: 34.4; climb: 3937; miles: 116.15
PARTLY CLOUDY; wind: NE 3-18; start  temp: 63; min: 61; avg: 76; max: 91; end: 73
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2044993987

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #37 - Oct 5th, 2017, 7:48am

I know the Cordele area very well. I was born about 90 miles to the east/NE in Vidalia. I picked cotton, tobacco, watermelons, and peaches every summer until 1968 all through that part of GA. Great job riding so far. The roads will flatten out for you soon, but the winds should pick up the closer to the ocean you get.

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #38 - Oct 5th, 2017, 6:58pm

We went right through Vidalia on the way to Metter. That's where we turned off of US 280 onto a quieter road for the remaining miles to Metter!

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #39 - Oct 5th, 2017, 9:06pm

DAY 26, PAC TOUR SOUTHERN TRANSCON, CORDELE TO METTER, GA is in the book - all done with this, the 2nd to last day, 115 miles, 3400 ft of climbing! Most of the miles took place on US 280, a narrow, busy with trucks, narrow to non-existent shoulder, roadway that everyone detested! It did get better toward the end as we were on different roads by mile 80 but no one is saying they enjoyed this one!
BIKE: Neuvation road bike; start time: 7:37; end: 17:19; avg:14.4; max: 28.2; climb: 3428; miles: 115.87
PARTLY CLOUDY; wind: NE 4-14; start  temp: 59; min: 57; avg: 76; max: 97; end: 79
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2049440967

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #40 - Oct 6th, 2017, 7:59am

I know those roads very well. I would not like riding a bike along there with all the logging trucks. Are you going to end up around Savannah, GA? That is where I went to high school and college. Very neat city.

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #41 - Oct 7th, 2017, 6:00am

That day we passed through Vidalia was not a fun day - log trucks, rock haulers, long haul semis: those were 90% of the traffic and it was not pleasant riding as the shoulder was a rumble strip and we had to ride the white line or just to the left. It was a very stressful 115 miles! But thankfully, no one was killed, injured, or had accidents of any kind. WHEW!

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #42 - Oct 7th, 2017, 6:01am

PAC TOUR SOUTHERN TRANSCON, METTER GA TO TYBEE ISLAND GA, DAY 27 (the finale!): I've had a saddle sore since the Texas Panhandle. Part of me thought of nothing else than this last day - an end to the agony. Fortunately there is so much more positive to completing a tour like this than what in the final analysis amounts to minor discomfort. This was a great trip! The people and crew on the trip make it great as does the organization and highlights of the passing scenery. It was challenging and yet satisfying! We left Metter long after the other riders had left. We thought, no problem, we always catch some of the riders. Today, with 24 miles to the first sag, I had a flat at mile 23, my 4th of the trip. By the time we got to the sag, she was closing shop. No one else was around. We needed to be at the next sag, 18 miles away, by 10:00. With our initial slow pace and late arrival, there was no way we'd make that time. Arrived at sag 2 at 10:30 expecting no one to be there. But there they were! Needed to be at lunch, 16 miles down the road by 11:30. I thought, no way, that's possible. We made it despite what felt like a massive headwind! It was 11:29:30. We had made up loads of time! But there was still work to do. We had to be at mile 82 by 1:15 PM and we had to get through Savannah with all those traffic lights. I thought, no chance. But we made many of the lights on green and skirted long lines of waiting cars by splitting the lane between them and the parked cars. After awhile we reached the causeway which starts with a 7.3% climb across a channel to a barrier island and a very strong headwind. Finally, we saw riders ahead and knew we would make it. About then, it started to rain. We got wet but it didn't matter. The coolness was refreshing. Finally we made the regroup point after a somewhat harrowing ride on the causeway with car after car whizzing by. We all rode as a group to the Tybee Island Beach where we trekked across the sand and dipped our wheels and enjoyed the warm water swirling around our ankles. Day was done and trip was done! Today, 86 miles and 900 ft of climbing!  Total trip mileage was 2910; total trip climbing was 103006 ft. I rode every mile and climbed every climb!
BIKE: Neuvation road bike; start time: 7:30; end: 14:03; avg:15.9; max: 25.8; climb: 922; miles: 86.07
PARTLY CLOUDY with rain shower near end; wind: NE 8-12; start  temp: 61; min: 61; avg: 74; max: 87; end: 86
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2053720038

« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2017, 6:04am by square_corners »  
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #43 - Oct 7th, 2017, 7:21am

Great job! Pretty cool the whole group rode to Tybee together. Did you guys ride down Victory Drive, Hwy-80, through Savannah to Thunderbolt? If you turned right off Victory Dr. in Thunderbolt at River Dr., I lived in the 8th house on the right, across from the Marina. I hope you got to enjoy the beauty along the way. I know it had to be a little nerve racking with the traffic. I use to ride my old trusty 10 speed from Thunderbolt, around Wilmington Island, to Tybee and back. Seems there was a mean dog about every 10 houses! Helped motivate a fast pace! Smiley

Enjoyed following along on your ride. You deserve a break now. Enjoy the sites and great seafood.

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #44 - Oct 7th, 2017, 5:17pm

Congratulations on an epic ride with a year's worth of mileage!  And thanks for "taking us along."                                    

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print