Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Mar 28th, 2024, 4:55pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2017 Greenville Cotton Patch (Read 1517 times)
Dennis

rbent member

2017 Greenville Cotton Patch
Sep 16th, 2017, 3:19pm

Curses,   the carnival vendor atmosphere from last year was gone.   No ice cream, no brownies.  A closed up truck with signs for burgers and such but apparently for later festivities and not the bike riders.

Success on completing the 46 mile route for me.   Changed up routes this year removed a long stretch of rough chipseal on 1570 from the L-3 plant to the freeway.  The change up also substantially reduced the amount of frontage road riding in high traffic.   As a side benefit to the city it also ensures all the riders know where the Audie Murphey museum is.

Seemed like a bit of a SNAFU with their evening activities setup that on entering into the city square blocked off for the event at the finish line I found I could not get to my car.   The city square had been cordoned off with 7-8 ft tall security fencing leaving only the spot where riders were riding in at completion of the ride open.   To get back to ones car you had to ride out through the finish line area and then back to the other side of the square where the parking was.    Despite this I walked back around and in again to double check that, how could there possibly not be ice cream.  But alas,  I was correct.

« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2017, 3:21pm by Dennis »  
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: 2017 Greenville Cotton Patch
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2017, 5:41pm

Quote from Dennis on Sep 16th, 2017, 3:19pm:
Curses,   the carnival vendor atmosphere from last year was gone.   No ice cream, no brownies.  A closed up truck with signs for burgers and such but apparently for later festivities and not the bike riders.

Success on completing the 46 mile route for me.   Changed up routes this year removed a long stretch of rough chipseal on 1570 from the L-3 plant to the freeway.  The change up also substantially reduced the amount of frontage road riding in high traffic.   As a side benefit to the city it also ensures all the riders know where the Audie Murphey museum is.

Seemed like a bit of a SNAFU with their evening activities setup that on entering into the city square blocked off for the event at the finish line I found I could not get to my car.   The city square had been cordoned off with 7-8 ft tall security fencing leaving only the spot where riders were riding in at completion of the ride open.   To get back to ones car you had to ride out through the finish line area and then back to the other side of the square where the parking was.    Despite this I walked back around and in again to double check that, how could there possibly not be ice cream.  But alas,  I was correct.

Being tortured at the Lancaster Airport, several weeks ago, watching homemade ice cream being churned, then not get any of it. Now, not getting any at Cotton Patch. That's too much disappointment for one month.   Sad

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2017, 2:18pm

I'm guessing this was Dennis...

...as he was the only other recumbent I saw all day!

My experience was a bit different, doing the 74 miler.  I started out with a group of GDBers, and within a few miles found myself at the head of a pack of ~75-100 people, heading down the road at 20-22mph...  

This lasted until we got to the "mountain," a fairly lengthy climb at mile 17, where I backed off and let the whole group pass, since I planned to stop at the next rest stop.

Having let that group go, most of the rest of the day was solo riding, with the roads changing every few miles from smooth asphalt with rumble cuts to nasty chipseal... The "Mountain" was the only significant climb of the day - very flat route, overall.

Had two flats around mile 35, both due to having to ride on the shoulder of the highway, where I picked up some leftover retread wire...  

Rest stops were unremarkable, although friendly.  Wine samples were at the 57 RS, which was fun...  Then when we got back to Greenville, they routed us along the service road a few extra miles, just to mess with us (to make it 74 miles).  I finished around 1:15, with an average just under 17mph.  Like Dennis said, there wasn't much going on at the finish line....

Don't think I'll do this one again...  too much chipseal and busy highway shoulder riding.  But, it was a good distance warmup for BDB100 next weekend.

PB  

« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2017, 4:04pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Dennis

rbent member

Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2017, 6:13pm

Naw I was a bit late getting to the start and probably in the 30mile lineup.   Not going to try to drag the trike through a crowd just to get to right starting group.   All you'd see of me on my Road would be the fairly tall US flag with guy lines to keep it from flopping over so much.

Probably looked pretty much the same as this picture from the 2016 Greenville ride.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print