Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Mar 28th, 2024, 2:08pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tire wear on the SprintXfs (Read 2428 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Tire wear on the SprintXfs
Sep 13th, 2017, 9:00am

Now that I have 3500+ miles on the SprintXfs, I'm getting a feel for the rate of component wear... especially tires.  Granted, I'm perhaps taking my turns a bit faster than most, but it's all relative...

*  Chain is just starting to indicate .75 wear, I will probably change it out at 4,000

*  Front tires definitely wear pretty fast, undoubtedly due to scrubbing effects.  The slight camber of the front wheel setting creates a flat region slightly to the inside of the tire center, so removing the tire and changing the orientation helps even it out and extends tire life.  [NOTE: the "tilt" steering of the new Greenspeed Aero should lessen this effect significantly]

*  I put ~900 miles on the original set of Duranos, then swapped orientation, and got about another 750+, before switching to the Pro Ones as an experiment -- so probably could have gotten 1750-2000 total miles from them.  However, I put on new Duranos when I halted the Pro One experiment, holding the old ones as spares.

*  The rear GP4000SII is at 2500 miles, and definitely has a (centered) flat area on it, but no casing showing, yet.

*  The 1.3" Kojaks have been my "rougher surface" tires, installed on a 2nd set of wheels.  They have ~750 miles on them, and have been showing definite "camber wear" to the inside.  However,  I just noticed a 2" strip of casing starting to show through on one of them, so I'll have to change it out.  Either there was a thinner spot on that tire, or I braked/skidded at one point pretty hard!  I had not rotated them yet -- so I suppose I might have gotten 1250-1500 from them if I had.

*  Given this front tire "scrub wear" effect, I would definitely not use expensive tires like the Pro Ones for everyday use!!!!

What have you folks on 700s and other trikes been seeing on the tires you run?

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Tire wear on the SprintXfs
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2017, 9:34am

The Stelvios on the front of my first trike (Catrike Speed) wore out at 800 miles. Found out the LBS delivered the trike to me with the toe-in set at 1/4", instead of factory-specified 1/16" (rider not on trike). Don't think I rode the trike far enough to wear out the second set of Stelvios, after I set the toe-in to 0 with me on the trike. I've set my VTX to 0 toe-in with me on the trike. Tried my Aero at 0, but the handling was not good, so set it at 1 mm toe-in. The Speed and VTX wheels are not cambered. The Aero's wheels are noticeably cambered.  

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Sep 13th, 2017, 9:00am:
Now that I have 3500+ miles on the SprintXfs, I'm getting a feel for the rate of component wear... especially tires.  Granted, I'm perhaps taking my turns a bit faster than most, but it's all relative...

*  Chain is just starting to indicate .75 wear, I will probably change it out at 4,000

*  Front tires definitely wear pretty fast, undoubtedly due to scrubbing effects.  The slight camber of the front wheel setting creates a flat region slightly to the inside of the tire center, so removing the tire and changing the orientation helps even it out and extends tire life.  [NOTE: the "tilt" steering of the new Greenspeed Aero should lessen this effect significantly]

*  I put ~900 miles on the original set of Duranos, then swapped orientation, and got about another 750+, before switching to the Pro Ones as an experiment -- so probably could have gotten 1750-2000 total miles from them.  However, I put on new Duranos when I halted the Pro One experiment, holding the old ones as spares.

*  The rear GP4000SII is at 2500 miles, and definitely has a (centered) flat area on it, but no casing showing, yet.

*  The 1.3" Kojaks have been my "rougher surface" tires, installed on a 2nd set of wheels.  They have ~750 miles on them, and have been showing definite "camber wear" to the inside.  However,  I just noticed a 2" strip of casing starting to show through on one of them, so I'll have to change it out.  Either there was a thinner spot on that tire, or I braked/skidded at one point pretty hard!  I had not rotated them yet -- so I suppose I might have gotten 1250-1500 from them if I had.

*  Given this front tire "scrub wear" effect, I would definitely not use expensive tires like the Pro Ones for everyday use!!!!

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2017, 7:14pm

We 700 owners have found some variation in front tire wear, dependent on alignment, and abuse.  The Kojaks I normally use on the front have given me anywhere from 700 to over 2000 miles.  The newer Kojaks seem to have been redesigned to give a bit more reliable strength in the carcase.  The Marathon 'originals' I bought for winter use have about 800 miles on them with negligible wear.  They are slower, however.  I use 28mm tires on the rear, and have about 7000 miles on my second Marathon Supreme, with more to go.  I gave away my first one at about 8000 miles, with wear still left on it.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2017, 6:29pm

Slightly off topic, but I worked on the rear wheel on the 700 that popped a tube last Saturday.  Dear Pam stayed with me and helped me replace the tube.  When she asked me which hole to put the valve stem through, I pointed out there was only supposed to be one hole (the other was a spoke hole).  She fetched a rubber tire boot for me, and we finished OK.  I replaced the original rim tape today with some Schwalbe tape I had.  The problem was the old tape had been improperly installed.  The hole put in the tape to go over the rim hole was displaced about two centimeters, and a hole punched roughly through the tape for the valve stem.  Then the other end of the tape was cut a half centimeter short, so that the end came just over the edge of the spoke hole, barely covering it.  Six years and 15000 miles later it gave up and got pushed into the hole, and the tube went.  I expected more of guys supposed to be doing this for a living...  Aw, who am I fooling?  I worked with guys supposed to be doing things for a living.  I've seen too many who don't.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Sep 17th, 2017, 8:13am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Sep 13th, 2017, 9:00am:

In the nine years since purchasing the 700, I have only run Kojaks, after Stelvios went out of style, (sniff, sniff).  I've kept the toe dead straight since becoming seasoned as a triker in my steering skill.*  During the summers, when I had ridden the trike nearly exclusively at WRL, I only get about 1700 miles out of left tire because I take corners quite fast, especially those at the bridges on Garland Rd.  When the one tire goes, I replace both, saving the better one as a spare.  
As far as the open roads are concerned, just last night I happened to look at my Garmin's report, telling me how I'm doing on the Kojaks.  So far, 2,333 miles.  Looking hard for threads, none yet.      

*I was told very early on that toe-in was for the lesser-experienced to help them keep the trike rolling straight.  Okay, there's a little wear, but it's not so bad until one can take the training wheels of toe-in off the trike.

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2017, 3:25pm

Well, I checked the toe-in vs. the video that ICE has on their site, and it was a little off...  I created a toe-in "feeler gauge" by cutting a couple pieces of flagpole and tie-wrapping them together...  They suggest having 2mm toe-in with no rider weight, anticipating that the rider weight will straighten it out to a zero(?) toe-in.

You're supposed to measure from the frame to the inside (touching) of the front part of the right wheel rim with your gauge, then go the the back of the wheel rim and see a ~1mm gap.  This appeared to be correct.

Then, you take a longer feeler gauge, and measure between (touching) the fronts of both wheels - when you use the same gauge distance at the rear of the wheels, you should have a 2mm gap.  I had no gap - the gauge touched in both locations -- which to me meant that the left setting was off.  So, I tweaked the left side so I had the gap -- we'll see if I notice any difference in feel or wear...

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #6 - Sep 29th, 2017, 10:49am

Haven't noticed any particular change in steering feel after the toe-in adjustment (reducing toe-out), or changes to top achievable speed...  and didn't really expect to, given the small amount of adjustment (~2-3mm).

I did just re-check my chain, and started to find some areas of 1.0 wear indication -- so, I changed out the chain last night at essentially the 4,000 mile mark.  A whopping 332 links, taking all of 3 chains except for 10 links.  Fortunately, I had found a good price on the SRAM PC991 10-speed... I usually get the PC971, but the 991 was only $1 more!!!

Anyone have a use (recycle?) for old chain?  Any jewelry makers out there?

PB

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print