Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Mar 29th, 2024, 3:37am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Airing GS Aero Trike Tires Simplified (Read 5558 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Airing GS Aero Trike Tires Simplified
Sep 5th, 2017, 9:11pm

Airing my new Aero's tires in preparation for a ride was a long process, until this past Monday. It's equipped with Schrader valve tubes. The valve stems are accessed through single 2-inch diameter holes in one side  of the carbon disk covered wheels. It's impossible to attach either a floor or small bike-mounted pump hose head directly to the the stems. Greenspeed recommends using a Topeak Pressure-Rite connector. It screws directly to the valve stem and has a tube with a Schrader thread on its end that extends sideways and permits a pump tube head to be attached. If a person doesn't have tiny fingers that will fit into the 2-inch hole, it can be a very long process attaching the connector to the stem with needle-nose pliers. One way to simplify the process, suggested in a BROL thread, would be to convert to Presta tubes and use a special $75 pump hose head (Kuwahara Hirame). I elected to use a $4 PEP Boys air chuck and some parts on hand to fabricate an assembly that clamps onto the valve stem and permits airing the tires with either a floor pump or bike-mounted pump. I carry it in my trike's tool kit.

PEP Boys clamp-on air chuck, 1/4" NPT adapter, and brass tube w/Schrader thread on one end.  

Drilled hole in 1/4" NPT adapter, inserted brass tube, and soldered them together.
Applied Teflon tape to threads and screwed adapter into chuck.

Works great. Problem solved.

« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2017, 10:01am by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Airing GS Aero Trike Tires Simplified
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2017, 3:29pm

That is cool Jay! I too like DIY things.

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2017, 5:17pm

Quote from jrob_bent on Sep 6th, 2017, 3:29pm:
That is cool Jay! I too like DIY things.

Thanks, Jerry. After experiencing 3 flats on last Saturday's Lancaster Air Show ride, and delaying my fellow riders a total of about an hour just getting the tires aired up, I had to do something to make the process easier.

Email   IP Logged
bob wand
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2017, 5:55pm

Necessity is the mother of inventions. Great job Jay.

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2017, 7:54pm

Quote from bob wand on Sep 6th, 2017, 5:55pm:
Necessity is the mother of inventions. Great job Jay.

Thanks, E. Bob.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2017, 11:46am

You should sell them, to Aero owners out there...  $50 each.   Wink

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2017, 1:10pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Sep 8th, 2017, 11:46am:
You should sell them, to Aero owners out there...  $50 each.   Wink

I will make one for what the materials cost for any RBENT member that buys one of those Aeros at John's Trikes and Bikes in Lancaster.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Sep 10th, 2017, 8:15am

Jay, I could just cry. A guy just sold his Aero on another forum for $2,300. He purchased it new in April. I was less than an hour late. I guess I need one of those apps on my phone that lets you know when things are available.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Sep 10th, 2017, 10:15am

Quote from jrob_bent on Sep 10th, 2017, 8:15am:
Jay, I could just cry. A guy just sold his Aero on another forum for $2,300. He purchased it new in April. I was less than an hour late. I guess I need one of those apps on my phone that lets you know when things are available.

That was one of the current production models (dual idlers). Has to be the best deal ever on BROL. Sorry you missed it. You would have had to have been on BROL real early, yesterday morning, to have snagged the trike, because the ad was posted at 2:47 AM.  

Don't know why the guy would sell it so cheap, unless it perhaps stranded him in the middle of nowhere, because he couldn't air up a flat tire.  Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Sep 10th, 2017, 12:46pm

I think he is going through a divorce! He told me the guy bought it about 50 minutes before I sent him a PM. Left me with the Smokey Robinson "Tracks of my Tears"!

Quote from jayg on Sep 10th, 2017, 10:15am:
Quote from jrob_bent on Sep 10th, 2017, 8:15am:

That was one of the current production models (dual idlers). Has to be the best deal ever on BROL. Sorry you missed it. You would have had to have been on BROL real early, yesterday morning, to have snagged the trike, because the ad was posted at 2:47 AM.

Don't know why the guy would sell it so cheap, unless it perhaps stranded him in the middle of nowhere, because he couldn't air up a flat tire.  Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Oct 3rd, 2017, 8:55am

Hey Jay,
Make one of those for me at the shop and I will pay you for it. I only have one pump head that works on the Aero and even with small fingers, it still takes a while for me to use the Topeka adapter.  Grin

« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2017, 9:48am by Patti »  
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Oct 4th, 2017, 2:55pm

Quote from Patti on Oct 3rd, 2017, 8:55am:
Hey Jay,
Make one of those for me at the shop and I will pay you for it. I only have one pump head that works on the Aero and even with small fingers, it still takes a while for me to use the Topeka adapter.  Grin

Done.

Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Oct 11th, 2017, 10:00pm

THANKS JAY! Sorry I didn't see this until today. How can I get that from you?  

By the way, when I saw the GS folks in Philadelphia last weekend, they told me that some of the Aero buyers have been using Drexel tools to enlarge the opening in the wheel covers.

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Oct 12th, 2017, 6:05pm

Quote from Patti on Oct 11th, 2017, 10:00pm:
THANKS JAY! Sorry I didn't see this until today. How can I get that from you?

By the way, when I saw the GS folks in Philadelphia last weekend, they told me that some of the Aero buyers have been using Drexel tools to enlarge the opening in the wheel covers.

I'd deliver it to you, if I needed something at the shop, but I don't, so I'll mail it with your name on the attention line.

Re enlarging tube stem access holes in carbon wheel covers: I don't need to do any surgery on the discs with a Dremel, since my custom air chuck assembly is compatible with the stock 2" diameter holes. I'm leaving the stem caps off and covering the access holes with 2-1/2" diameter, adhesive-backed, black vinyl to keep dirt and dust out of the wheels' interiors.

2-1/2" diameter vinyl hole cover; Circle cutter and "Cricut" Premium Outdoor Glossy Vinyl roll, both obtained from Micheal's.  

Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Oct 12th, 2017, 9:10pm

Thanks again! I don't know if we will have anyone else come look at the Aero but this will certainly help me keep it ready to ride, just in case.  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print