Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:37am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2017 Hotter 'N Hell Hundred (Read 7028 times)
Bud_Bent

2017 Hotter 'N Hell Hundred
Aug 27th, 2017, 12:32pm

From my blog:

Yesterday, I rode in the 2017 Hotter ‘N Hell Hundred at Wichita Falls. For the 11th consecutive year, I completed the 100 mile route. I rode 100.75 miles, to be precise. My official timing chip finish time was 5:21. That was 11th in the 65 to 69 age division, a good time for me. There were a total of 3,358 people who finished the 100 mile route, 81 in my age and gender division.

My “on the bike” time was 5:17. I made two quick stops during the ride. The first was a two minute stop at mile 10 for a train (there’s great traffic control at HHH, but I don’t guess they can do anything about trains). The second stop was another 2 minute stop at mile 90 for my bladder, and to fill a water bottle. It was the nicest weather I’ve ever seen at HHH, cloudy and in the 70′s, with light winds, for the entire ride. I did not get the usual amount of dehydration from the ride, but I pushed the pace enough that my legs were toast at the end, just the same.

Around 10,000 signed up for the ride, but many did not show up. It was easily the smallest number of riders I’ve seen at HHH. It was obviously because of Hurricane Harvey. This, in spite of the fact that the last couple of days of forecasts before the ride were predicting no rain there for Saturday, and sure enough, it didn’t rain. I stayed at the First Christian Church gym again, but didn’t see anyone else I knew there, or even another recumbent bike or trike. I did enjoy a nice dinner Friday evening in Iowa Park, and got to visit with friends there (thanks, Brad!). But, it was still surprising to see so many people back out because of weather, only to then have the best riding weather I’ve ever seen at HHH.

I didn’t take any photos myself this year, so these are borrowed:

Getting ready for the start.

A local radio station announces the start.

There are lots of great signs along the route.

Hell’s Gate at mile 60.

Lots of interesting stuff at Hell’s Gate this year.

Doug always manages to show up in lots of photos.

The route.

My timing chip results.

The medal for finishing.

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2017, 1:33pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: 2017 Hotter 'N Hell Hundred
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2017, 1:59pm

Were you riding your velomobile, or one of your bikes?

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2017, 4:06pm

Quote from jayg on Aug 27th, 2017, 1:59pm:
Were you riding your velomobile, or one of your bikes?

I was on my F5. I only ride the WAW in the winter.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2017, 7:54pm

I did it again this year, though I got to the staging area about 6:40, so was at the back of the Tandem/recumbent group.  That's why I didn't see anybody I knew (Bud) as you most surely were towards the front.  After my medical issues in the spring, surgery in April, I decided I would do the 100 miles and was shooting to complete it in 6 hours.  I'm still recovering from the surgery, but was quite pleased to have finished with an on bike time of 6:20.  Not near my best, but almost as satisfying as the time I broke 5 hours, barely.  I had an aggressive form of prostate cancer and there was no other option but to have surgery.  Biking, recumbents specifically, has allowed me to recover much sooner than normal I believe.  Would never have been able to do what I did Saturday on a "normal" bike.  Especially on those horrible roads somewhere after hells gate.      

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2017, 6:53am

Wow, I didn't know any of that. Glad you were able to ride, DJ. And congrats on completing the 100 mile route. Considering your year, that's quite an accomplishment.

« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2017, 9:08am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - Aug 31st, 2017, 11:21am

DJ, had no idea you were dealing with that... but glad you addressed it!  Good ride, folks, sorry I missed it.

PB

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2017, 5:03pm

I saw Bud take off like a bullet out of a rifle.....knew a huge group got delayed by the train. I just missed the delay. I felt terrible the first part of the race. I felt like just calling my wife and having her come and get me. It was somewhere after 20 miles and I was going 14.9mph. I had already had to stop once because my chain came off the tensioner, or guide on the encore I was riding.  
I got in with a group of six tandems for a short while along with a tough guy on a Bachetta from Louisiana who had qualified for the RAAM.
Whenever I decided not to quit, I decided that the only way I could salvage the day was to try to pull a Bud--do the whole thing without stopping. I made it to 75 miles before stopping. My time was 5:40. I don't know what my place was in my age group, because it had me as a 0 year old. I came in 822nd place.
This is beginning to hurt.......

Okay, so I just checked again and they did what they did a few years ago--fudged on recumbent times. My garmin had me at 5:37....they originally had me at 5:40, but now say I came in at 5:23.

Bud, they've got you at 5:04!

« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2017, 6:06pm by reever »  

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #7 - Sep 2nd, 2017, 4:32pm

Ok, that is too strange. After displaying my correct time earlier, as shown in the screen capture in my first post, sure enough, they now have me finishing in 5:04. Is it really that hard to time a recumbent?

My Garmin time was 5:17. But Garmin time doesn't show stopped time. I had stopped twice, both what I thought were two or three minute stops, so I'm pretty sure the 5:21 they showed at first was correct.

« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2017, 4:51pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #8 - Sep 2nd, 2017, 9:07pm

As usual my chip didn't get timed ..    Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Sep 2nd, 2017, 10:43pm

Quote from MrWizard on Sep 2nd, 2017, 9:07pm:
Wow, after all the expense in money, time and effort, not getting all you were supposed to should have resulted in you getting your $ back.  Grrr!

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #10 - Sep 3rd, 2017, 9:39am

Carbon fiber velomobiles and RFID don't mix ..      There's a newer chip design that works better, but HH100 isn't using it.  

Quote from Action Lad on Sep 2nd, 2017, 10:43pm:
Quote from MrWizard on Sep 2nd, 2017, 9:07pm:
Wow, after all the expense in money, time and effort, not getting all you were supposed to should have resulted in you getting your $ back.  Grrr!

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #11 - Sep 3rd, 2017, 12:55pm

Yes, the HHH 100 mile endurance ride is not a race. And the timing chips are included for every entrant, at a price that's much less than what you would otherwise expect to pay for an event where you are timed. I know of no other rides with that kind of entry fee that give you a timing chip.  

Still, it seems so odd that they can't seem to get the timing right for recumbents. Maybe it's a software glitch. The ride officially starts at 7:05. But they always let the tandems and recumbents start before 7:00. Then, the software seems to auto correct and change your starting time to 7:05. So all of the time you rode before 7:05 gets subtracted from your overall time. For example, this year, according to my Garmin, they started the recumbents at 6:48. My real total time was 5:21. If you subtract from that the 17 minute difference between our early start and the official start time, you get the time they gave me, 5:04. What's so strange is that the correct time was there for a while, then changed to the wrong time.   Smiley

« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2017, 1:18pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Sep 3rd, 2017, 7:20pm

Quote from MrWizard on Sep 3rd, 2017, 9:39am:
Carbon fiber velomobiles and RFID don't mix .. There's a newer chip design that works better, but HH100 isn't using it.
Oh, is it that the CF doesn't let the signals get through?  I don't know what they look like, but is it possible to have it on the outside?  Does it fall off/jounce off easily?   Smiley

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #13 - Sep 4th, 2017, 10:19am

It's attached to the back of a 4 x 6 piece of paper with your number on it. You're supposed to attach it to your handlebar. On a high racer like I ride, a piece of paper that size on the handlebar gets in the way of my legs. Last year, I put on on the bag on the back of my bike, and it didn't work. So this year, I took scissors and cut the paper down narrow enough to attach to the handlebar without getting in the way of my legs. Have you thought about attaching  yours to your helmet, Doug?

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #14 - Sep 4th, 2017, 9:37pm

We had the same problem last year at TTTT.  One carbon fiber TT bike we had to arm wrestle the rider to put the chip where it was away from the frame.  Doug's velo was trickier, as there isn't much in the way of things sticking out to put the tag on.  I think we finally stuck it to his plexiglas windshield.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print