Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 20th, 2024, 6:05am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I think I made ANOTHER friend at the lake (Read 1466 times)
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

I think I made ANOTHER friend at the lake
Aug 15th, 2017, 8:56pm

Started tonights lake ride, went under then ran parallel to NW Highway on the new trail and see this rider a ways ahead going rather fast so of course I go into hot pursuit mode, as he comes to the NW Highway underpass he turns north appearing to head to Flagpole Hill. Oh well I of course turn south going under NW Highway and noticed he must have changed his mind and turned around and is now behind me. I then head south along East Lawther and he appears to be keeping up about 100 feet back but slowly dropping off.

Head up Big Thicket then go around the Museum Bath House and whoa there he is again apparently he caught up and went through the parking lot then pulled out ahead so he's going down the Bath House Hill on the right lane and I start passing on the left lane and we have about 10' of distance between us

Him "You need a flag on that thing!"
Me "What?" (I had one headphone in listening to early 80's April Wine rock)
Him "You need a darn flag on that thing!"
Me "Um I don't think so"
Him "You about killed me a while back I can't see you" (I assume he meant in the past not today)

I begin laughing

He then pulls back about 30-40 feet behind me and starts yelling but I can't tell what he's saying and he's throwing both arms up in the air doing a "what's the deal" motion although I have no idea why

I go around the old Dreyfuss house turn and he instead goes the wrong way around on the north side road and ends up ahead of me. I of course give chase figured I'd ask him what's the deal and maybe jerk his chain a little but just as I caught up he takes the road up to the hospital right before Sunset Bay, I yelled "Have a good day!" but not sure he heard me

Not sure who he was, I love that lake!

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: I think I made ANOTHER friend at the lake
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2017, 9:01pm

I think I've encountered this guy before, with his flag fetish.....

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2017, 10:23pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Aug 15th, 2017, 9:01pm:
I think I've encountered this guy before, with his flag fetish.....

The last time someone said I needed a flag was several years ago and it went like this while rounding Winfried Point

Him "You need a flag on that thing"
Me "Why?"
Him "So people can see you!"
Me "Who didn't see me?"
Him "Other riders"
Me "Which other riders?"
Him "Other riders!"
Me "Which other riders? Did you talk to them or something?"
Him "You need a flag on that thing!"
Me "I've been doing this lake close to 15 years now and you are the first guy who has problems seeing me, when was the last time you had your eyes checked....or got an MRI?"
(He seemed to take offense at the MRI comment and dropped off, seemed a reasonable question)

I certainly didn't do anything to set the guy off today other than pass him and even then we were about 10 feet apart and I hadn't previously said anything to him (I never do). likely some other recumbent got too close in the past and seeing another one flying by set him off, what was odd was him taking the parking lot through the Bath House to get ahead of me, had to be hauling butt to do it and that's not a smart place to pull a stunt like that, I've never done it or thought about doing it, was he doing it specifically to get in front of me or was it just the way he takes that section...who knows..hope he shows up tomorrow  Grin

IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2017, 11:57pm

Quote from mleuck on Aug 15th, 2017, 10:23pm:
...what was odd was him taking the parking lot through the Bath House to get ahead of me, had to be hauling butt to do it and that's not a smart place to pull a stunt like that,...
Yeah, a very odd, (desperate?) thing to do, but feel sorry for him rolling at high speed over pavement as bad as it is on the road behind that place, only MUCH more of it.  Oh, my achin' coccyx!!

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print