Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 20th, 2024, 9:01am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Texas Time Trials note (Read 1855 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Texas Time Trials note
Aug 15th, 2017, 8:53pm

Got copied on an interesting email from Sandy Earl... she and riding partner Bill Spaeth have registered for BOTH the 500 (as a duo) and the 24 hour...  with the following reasoning:

Race plan is to knock out as much 500 as possible before the 24H starts, leave one racer to finish the 500, the other starts the 24, and we meet up somewhere Friday evening. We're calling it out as a "Texas 2 Step". If things go too far awry we may cry uncle and beg to roll the 24 down to a 12 hour  - but if you're a betting man, don't bet on it.  
Thanks for checking in; it sounds a little crazy but - we do crazy real good up here in the redwoods.

All I can say is.....  JAYSUS!!!    Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Re: Texas Time Trials note
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2017, 10:13pm

Might want to warn them to bring fatter than normal tires ..    solids might even be a consideration  Grin

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Aug 15th, 2017, 8:53pm:
Got copied on an interesting email from Sandy Earl... she and riding partner Bill Spaeth have registered for BOTH the 500 (as a duo) and the 24 hour...  with the following reasoning:

Race plan is to knock out as much 500 as possible before the 24H starts, leave one racer to finish the 500, the other starts the 24, and we meet up somewhere Friday evening. We're calling it out as a "Texas 2 Step". If things go too far awry we may cry uncle and beg to roll the 24 down to a 12 hour  - but if you're a betting man, don't bet on it.
Thanks for checking in; it sounds a little crazy but - we do crazy real good up here in the redwoods.

All I can say is.....  JAYSUS!!!    Smiley

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2017, 10:43pm

I was planning on doing the 26 mile sprint. They start at 3 pm and the roads are what I call terrible, to say the least. I think I am staying home. I would need 3" tires on the Baron for some of those roads. 3" tires will not fit.

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2017, 11:15pm

I really liked that Dan and the LSR folks do this every year and its a very nice race to attend, except for the roads.     I can think of a couple of places within the same driving distance of DFW that would be just as challenging without the technical feel of riding through Beruit  

Quote from jrob_bent on Aug 16th, 2017, 10:43pm:
I was planning on doing the 26 mile sprint. They start at 3 pm and the roads are what I call terrible, to say the least. I think I am staying home. I would need 3" tires on the Baron for some of those roads. 3" tires will not fit.

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2017, 11:46pm

Quote from MrWizard on Aug 16th, 2017, 11:15pm:
I can think of a couple of places within the same driving distance of DFW that would be just as challenging without the technical feel of riding through Beruit
Grin Grin Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin Grin

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2017, 12:07pm

From Sandy:

"...we typically ride on pavement that's not much better than the Glen Rose course, so we run relatively wide tires - with the Encore 700/20's we run 28-451 fronts and 25-700 rears (the rears are Michelins on wide rims so they play more like 28'). Comfort = speed....

FWIW we are looking for a bit of help out there, especially during the "crossover" hours, if anyone is heading that way and is so (re)clined.
"

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Aug 20th, 2017, 9:23pm

Quote from MrWizard on Aug 16th, 2017, 11:15pm:
I really liked that Dan and the LSR folks do this every year and its a very nice race to attend, except for the roads.     I can think of a couple of places within the same driving distance of DFW that would be just as challenging without the technical feel of riding through Beruit

Quote from jrob_bent on Aug 16th, 2017, 10:43pm:

I like your description...Beruit!  Smiley

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print