Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 18th, 2024, 10:42pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I Won't Be on the East Side Ride in the Morning (Read 1820 times)
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

I Won't Be on the East Side Ride in the Morning
Aug 11th, 2017, 10:02pm

I have been optimizing and winterizing the Gossamer Wing, (Performer 26" highracer).  Tomorrow will be the first time to ride it, shod with the critically acclaimed Gatorskins.  These are likely the last, best hope for this bike and it would be unfair to the ESR for me to flat and hold everyone back as I call in the power of the angelic host to pull a 650 off the rim and install another.  

Enjoy the ride, y'all!   Perhaps I'll meet you for a salad later.    Smiley

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: I Won't Be on the East Side Ride in the Mornin
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2017, 9:18am

Koolstop Stop Tire Bead Jack - won't help getting it off but it WILL put it back on

IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2017, 9:43am

Quote from Patti on Aug 12th, 2017, 9:18am:
Koolstop Stop Tire Bead Jack - won't help to getting it off but it WILL put it back on
Thanks, Patti.  Jay reminded me of that jigger.  One of the Clowns rides with one.  I think it's time for me to get on the bandwagon if these Gatorskins actually work.  Do they have them at John's house?  How much will it set me back?  The end of the month is the time for me to make all the purchases I desire....except for the Aero, of course.  tee, hee!

IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2017, 4:06pm

Quote from Action Lad on Aug 12th, 2017, 9:43am:
Koolstop Stop Tire Bead Jack - won't help to getting it off but it WILL put it back on
How much will it set me back?

Amazon has them for about $12. Add it to someones order to get free shipping (it's free when qualified purchases are over $25).

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Aug 12th, 2017, 5:47pm

Quote from JimFPU on Aug 12th, 2017, 4:06pm:
Quote from Action Lad on Aug 12th, 2017, 9:43am:
How much will it set me back?

Amazon has them for about $12. Add it to someones order to get free shipping (it's free when qualified purchases are over $25).

Thanks, Jimbob.   Smiley

IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Aug 12th, 2017, 8:59pm

So I showed up at WRL with the Performer highracer and with some trepidation, because it's been poppin' tubes and tires regardless of what I did to stop it.  Conti Gatorskins were still being auditioned and I had a spare on the rack trunk along with a couple of tubes.  Hey, even at the lake it's a long way to walk when you're half way around it.  After the first lap, tires were sound, so with confidence building, I lightened the load of the spare tire and headed up the trail.  Arrived back with no troubles.  Whew!  Jay and Peppermint Patti suggested that get a tire Jack for the inevitable removal of these 650s.  It takes a Herculean effort to get them off and on.  Now, it seems like the purchase makes sense.  
Ran into an HP Velotechnik Scorpion fs rider Dennis.  Invited him to visit the forum.  It was the only bent I saw on the lake, though I did see a lady of a certain age on an upright delta trike riding with her husband.  They go up the trail, down and around the lake.  Good for them.

36.6 (nervous miles) at 17.75 mph   Smiley
1161 calories burned

IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2017, 5:25pm

Quote from Action Lad on Aug 12th, 2017, 8:59pm:
So I showed up at WRL with the Performer highracer and with some trepidation, because it's been poppin' tubes and tires regardless of what I did to stop it.  Conti Gatorskins were still being auditioned and I had a spare on the rack trunk along with a couple of tubes.  Hey, even at the lake it's a long way to walk when you're half way around it.  After the first lap, tires were sound, so with confidence building, I lightened the load of the spare tire and headed up the trail.  Arrived back with no troubles.  Whew!  Jay and Peppermint Patti suggested that get a tire Jack for the inevitable removal of these 650s.  It takes a Herculean effort to get them off and on.  Now, it seems like the purchase makes sense.  
Ran into an HP Velotechnik Scorpion fs rider Dennis.  Invited him to visit the forum.  It was the only bent I saw on the lake, though I did see a lady of a certain age on an upright delta trike riding with her husband.  They go up the trail, down and around the lake.  Good for them.

1161 calories burned

Can you tell where the tubes are popping?  Back when I had my Corsa with 650 wheels I was running Gatorskins as well.  The tires fit so tightly that when I put the tire on it was pushing the rim tape out of the way and my tube was flatting in the spoke holes.  When you took the tires off the rim tape would move back in place.  Took several flats before someone smarter than me figured out what was happening.  Replaced the rim tape and had no issues after that.  Just an idea.....

Oh - and the bead jack was the only way I could get the tires back on.

« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2017, 5:26pm by TonyWard »  

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Aug 13th, 2017, 10:57pm

Quote from TonyWard on Aug 13th, 2017, 5:25pm:
Quote from Action Lad on Aug 12th, 2017, 8:59pm:

1161 calories burned

Can you tell where the tubes are popping?  Back when I had my Corsa with 650 wheels I was running Gatorskins as well.  The tires fit so tightly that when I put the tire on it was pushing the rim tape out of the way and my tube was flatting in the spoke holes.  When you took the tires off the rim tape would move back in place.  Took several flats before someone smarter than me figured out what was happening.  Replaced the rim tape and had no issues after that.  Just an idea.....

Oh - and the bead jack was the only way I could get the tires back on.

If I'm not mistaken, Tony, the punctures were happening along the sidewall.  It didn't seem the tubes were the culprit, but the tires.  I always managed to get holes in the walls that I'd have to boot in the middle of my trips.  No fun.  The first tires I bought for the bike were cheapo cheapos.  That was before I had learned about the troubles with 650 wheels: the reason for their scarcity and the installation difficulties.  Even that first flat with the Gatorskins was a hole in the wall, but there was a slice that occurred somehow.  Certainly WILL check that rim tape with the next flat, but so far, the Gatorskins are holding up.  Thanks for the heads up.   Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print