Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 26th, 2024, 9:04am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hawkeye Downs Speepway HPV Races (Read 1412 times)
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Hawkeye Downs Speepway HPV Races
Aug 2nd, 2017, 10:42pm

Anyone interested in going to Cedar Rapids, IA September16-17 for the races. It is a half mile oval track. I am taking the minivan and utility trailer. Anyone who wants to share expenses is welcome. Everyone has a good time, and most meet up after the races on Saturday to eat and BS. All types bike, trikes, velos, etc are welcome. The fees are $20 for one day and $35 for both days. Some people are very fast, some kind of fast, and some that just like to show up and ride. Doesn't matter if you can go 30 mph or 13 mph, it is all fun. I have been trying the past two years to make it, but something comes up. Not this year, I am going!

How about it Reever, Mr. Wizard, Action Lad, Mark Leuck, Phantom Rider Joe, and anyone else!

« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2017, 10:45pm by jrob_bent »  

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Re: Hawkeye Downs Speepway HPV Races
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2017, 12:54am

Sounds fun, but --- I'm doing a transcontinental pactour starting September 9th .. so I'm booked  for the rest of the month ..    

Quote from jrob_bent on Aug 2nd, 2017, 10:42pm:
Anyone interested in going to Cedar Rapids, IA September16-17 for the races. It is a half mile oval track. I am taking the minivan and utility trailer. Anyone who wants to share expenses is welcome. Everyone has a good time, and most meet up after the races on Saturday to eat and BS. All types bike, trikes, velos, etc are welcome. The fees are $20 for one day and $35 for both days. Some people are very fast, some kind of fast, and some that just like to show up and ride. Doesn't matter if you can go 30 mph or 13 mph, it is all fun. I have been trying the past two years to make it, but something comes up. Not this year, I am going!

How about it Reever, Mr. Wizard, Action Lad, Mark Leuck, Phantom Rider Joe, and anyone else!

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2017, 7:32am

Good for you Doug. I got to meet Lon Haldeman a few years ago when his group came through MO. What a nice unassuming man.

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2017, 8:29am

Lon (and Susan) are good people.  I was the first recumbent to ride with them a long time ago..  There was a long long debate where Lon didn't really want to take me as he was sure I wasn't going to make it ..    Susan talked him into it ..   But Lon told me on the first day (and a couple of other days) that "If I tell you to sag because its running late, you need to sag"   Needless to say, I never sagged   Smiley    and recumbent have been accepted on Pactours ever since ..

I'm now going to be the first velomobile ..   you can pretty much guess how the conversations have gone so far  Grin

Quote from jrob_bent on Aug 3rd, 2017, 7:32am:
Good for you Doug. I got to meet Lon Haldeman a few years ago when his group came through MO. What a nice unassuming man.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2017, 10:21am

Susan was doing another tour when I met Lon. She is a very nice lady and a very strong rider.

Please take lots of pictures and videos. You will probably be able to just use the photos people take of you! Smiley Have fun and be safe.

« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2017, 10:21am by jrob_bent »  

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2017, 9:18pm

Anyone interested in going to Cedar Rapids, IA September16-17 for the races.
Are you kidding me?  To go to the only races on these shores, (to my knowledge), that include my little, unsung corner of the sport: Drag Racing?  Of course I'd go, but there's just too much going on this year, even if I did have the $ to go.  Thanks for the notice, though.  I will search it out on YouTube for trike drag races in past years, and a little later on, for this year's racing.

I hope you do well!!

« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2017, 9:19pm by Action Lad »  

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2017, 10:23pm

Quote from Action Lad on Aug 3rd, 2017, 9:18pm:
Anyone interested in going to Cedar Rapids, IA September16-17 for the races.
Are you kidding me?  To go to the only races on these shores, (to my knowledge), that include my little, unsung corner of the sport: Drag Racing?  Of course I'd go, but there's just too much going on this year, even if I did have the $ to go.  Thanks for the notice, though.  I will search it out on YouTube for trike drag races in past years, and a little later on, for this year's racing.

I hope you do well!!

Go to recumbents.com for more info. There are races starting in February in FL, then Weatherford, MI, Northbrook, IL one day, and Kenosho, WI the next day, North Manchester, IN, and then the final race is in Cedar Rapids. I hope to make 3-4 races next year. Yes, sprinting is what makes me smile. The one at Cedar Rapids is a half mile sprint! I hope to race in the stock class, faired two wheels, and faired 3 wheels classes.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Aug 4th, 2017, 4:43pm

How about Paul Brown, does he want to go? Thom Ollinger said he was going to be there.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print