Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:18am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The New "Magic Lap" (Read 2877 times)
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

The New "Magic Lap"
Jun 21st, 2017, 2:15pm

A Magic Lap is one which the rider makes it around WRL in under 30 mins. Originally, the lap's course took one over the bridge before the dog park at the end of W. Lawther Speedway.  Now, it's a bit longer, paralleling NW Highway, then down Buckner.  (How much extra mileage?)
So, what should that lap be called, "Magic Lap"?  "Magic Lap 2.0"?  "New Magic Lap"?  Other ideas?
I'm going to try to get it done this summer.  If, (big IF), it happens, I'm wondering what I should call it.

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: The New "Magic Lap"
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2017, 3:47pm

How many miles?  What is the min avg speed to hit the goal?

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2017, 3:54pm

There is more than one typical lap (around White Rock Lake) for the Clowns, but the one I do, taking the connection from the rail trail to the intersection on W. Lawther, and staying on the Lawthers most of the way, is 10.66 miles (average on my Garmin).  If you get close to 30 minutes, I guess we could call it a "Key Lap!"   Smiley

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2017, 4:05pm

Quote from Monkeywrangler22 on Jun 21st, 2017, 3:47pm:
How many miles?  What is the min avg speed to hit the goal?  
It's just over 10 miles.  I usually get 10.5 miles around, taking the new path paralleling NW Hwy., of course and the new path to avoid the rough road behind the bathhouse.  
Jay says the average speed is 21 mph.  
(Key gulps furtively)

IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2017, 5:52pm

How fast does Mark L do it in? Maybe if he is the fastest, maybe it should be called Mark's Magic Lap! Good luck on your own pursuit of it. If they get i-35 done by September-November, i would love to come back and try myself. I would first have to ride it enough to remember which way to go, or just follow Key!

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jun 21st, 2017, 7:30pm

Quote from jrob_bent on Jun 21st, 2017, 5:52pm:
How fast does Mark L do it in? Maybe if he is the fastest, maybe it should be called Mark's Magic Lap! Good luck on your own pursuit of it. If they get i-35 done by September-November, i would love to come back and try myself. I would first have to ride it enough to remember which way to go, or just follow Key!
Well, I don't even know if Mark considers himself to be a Clown, or even a member of rbent.  I'm sure he's done it before and he is a recumbent rider.  
Oh, and speaking of which way to go, the laps tend to be done "Clownwise," or as most folks say, clockwise, but at least for me, it seems to be a different experience going counter Clownwise, so you could have the record in the opposite direction if it suits you better.   Smiley  Things that make you go, "Hmm."

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Jun 21st, 2017, 8:11pm

Quote from jrob_bent on Jun 21st, 2017, 5:52pm:

In the past, Mark has done multiple long-route laps at a 21 mph average (I've seen his Garmin Connect stats).

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Jun 21st, 2017, 10:17pm

Did not mean to offend anyone, and I didn't know it was meant for clowns only. And Mark L has been a rbent member since 2008. As for directions, I meant what street and paths to take. The only time I rode with the clowns, I took three different routes around the lake all in the same direction. I followed Paul and Larry on my first lap, Joe on my second lap, and was alone on my 3rd lap. On the 3rd lap I some how found myself on a very busy street with a lot of motorons trying their best to run over me or cut me off, horns blaring. I saw some recumbents and an upright way off to my right. i cut through the grass to get over where they were. It was Jay, Joe, a lady, can't remember her name, and someone on a P-38. Joe led me back to my car.  

I was very out of shape my first visit, and should not have eaten the heavy breakfast before riding. I am getting back into racing form, and by September should be at my peak. Maybe I will come and see what pathetic number I can put up with these old legs, lungs, and heart. I might not be able to hold 21 mph average, but if I were a betting man, and I am, I would not bet against me. Good luck to you also.

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Jun 21st, 2017, 11:07pm

Quote from rmillay on Jun 21st, 2017, 3:54pm:
There is more than one typical lap (around White Rock Lake) for the Clowns, but the one I do, taking the connection from the rail trail to the intersection on W. Lawther, and staying on the Lawthers most of the way, is 10.66 miles (average on my Garmin).  If you get close to 30 minutes, I guess we could call it a "Key Lap!"   Smiley
Not really looking for it to be named after me, and like I said, I was sure that Mark had done it many times before.  Heck, I'm sure that uprights have done it too.  I was just wondering if it should be called the same thing, now that the new NW Highway addition came in.  Boy, do things get mixed up quick.

« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2017, 11:13pm by Action Lad »  

IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Jun 22nd, 2017, 8:08am

How about "This magic moment lap" from one of the greatest groups ever, The Drifters?  Smiley Instead of " Lile any other, until I kissed her", it could be, Like any other, until I killed it"!  Smiley Smiley

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #10 - Jul 5th, 2017, 11:33am

Hitting a 21mph average around WRL is a daunting challenge, given the variables of pedestrians, other cyclists, cars along West Lawther, the Mockingbird bridge intersection, and narrow/tricky path areas.

Be smart, and safe around other folks, when you "hammer"...    Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print