Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Mar 29th, 2024, 4:36am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
GDB Third Thursday TT (Read 5888 times)
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

GDB Third Thursday TT
Jun 8th, 2017, 8:46pm

Paul, is the 3rd Thursday TT's going to happen this year?

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: GDB Third Thursday TT
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2017, 11:00am

No - we have killed it for the time being, due to the bad road surface conditions on Lawson Rd. between Scyene and Devil's Bowl speedway...  and Berry Rd. ain't no picnic, either.  If they ever resurface it, we'll look into starting it back up again.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2017, 11:24am

I understand about the bad roads. Maybe the powers that be will resurface them soon.  

On another note, I just found out they have a great velodrome in Frisco. It is called the SuperDrome. They do track racing there. It is not recumbent, but they go fast! $200 for the year, or $10 a visit, plus $10 bike rental, unless you bring your own track only bike. You can start training at 8 years old, and racing at 14. In three years and my oldest grandson can start. I am going to check it out for this old guy too!

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2017, 6:35am

I have a love/hate relationship with that place ..    Years ago I set the 1 hour track record in my rotator streamliner ..   It was "unoffical" as it wasn't a track bike but it was recorded and kept around for posterity ..

Then it was gone .. erased from the wall, the website ..  etc ...   When I inquired about it I was told that at first that recumbents were *never* allowed on the track .. when I pointed out that in fact I have pictures, videos, witnesses, tv interviews etc and challenged that assertion I was then told it was removed because of "safety" reasons and never should have been allowed in the first place  Smiley

So keep in mind --  this is "unsafe"

Quote from jrob_bent on Jun 15th, 2017, 11:24am:
I understand about the bad roads. Maybe the powers that be will resurface them soon.

On another note, I just found out they have a great velodrome in Frisco. It is called the SuperDrome. They do track racing there. It is not recumbent, but they go fast! $200 for the year, or $10 a visit, plus $10 bike rental, unless you bring your own track only bike. You can start training at 8 years old, and racing at 14. In three years and my oldest grandson can start. I am going to check it out for this old guy too!

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2017, 8:44am

Yep, significant non-track-bike bias with those folks.....   wouldn't want DF racers to look inferior, would we?

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2017, 9:50am

At the time I road a track bike as well .. (which IMO is worth the time to experience if you ever get a chance)     It wasn't until the management change out there back about 6-7 years ago that the bias set in ..  and set in hard it did  ..    

It does seem that a place that struggles financially year over year would have a slightly different attitude.   I do understand the "safety" concern with DF bikes equipped with brakes and / or lower bottom brackets where the pedals could touch the surface in the banks .   But recumbents suffer from none of this; nor do mostly enclosed streamliners or velomobiles.  

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jun 16th, 2017, 8:44am:
Yep, significant non-track-bike bias with those folks.....   wouldn't want DF racers to look inferior, would we?

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2017, 3:06pm

Yes, they really do struggle with money/funds. It seems they would want as many people coming as they could get. Have recumbents on a different time/day. Oh well, it seems I am moving around Lake Worth, which is way too far to drive to anyway. It is closer to WRL though! i sure wish I had gotten back into bicycles 30-40 years ago. It is hard to get faster and stay there when in your mid 60's. My 5 year old grandson is going to be fast. He can hit 14-15 mph on his little 20" bike already. Maybe if he stays interested, he will be a track sprinter.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2017, 9:54pm

Doug, if that is a Rotator Pursuit streamliner, I saw that picture on a website not too long ago. Cool! I will try to find the website. I remember it was all about Texas home built velomobiles and streamliners. This big old head doesn't store info very well anymore! About the only thing it is good for, is holding a helmet on top of it. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2017, 7:20am

Its technically a Rotator Coyote,   There were only two ever made, Dean Peterson has the other one.  Though they are quite a bit different internally as his is RWD  and a bit more streatable ..  Mine is FWD and was really supposed to go fast and pretty much nothing else.  (it has limited steering due to the chain line)     The shells of both  were both built out of the Gold Rush molds ; I actually still have it and the multiple  shells for it.      

I'd love to see the article if you can find it.   I know all about old age and decrepitude so I can completely understand if you can't find it.  

Quote from jrob_bent on Jun 16th, 2017, 9:54pm:
Doug, if that is a Rotator Pursuit streamliner, I saw that picture on a website not too long ago. Cool! I will try to find the website. I remember it was all about Texas home built velomobiles and streamliners. This big old head doesn't store info very well anymore! About the only thing it is good for, is holding a helmet on top of it. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2017, 10:50am

I found this one Doug. http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/racing2004/SanJose/Amick/Dean%20Pederson%20in%20 Rotator%20Coyote.jpg. Still looking for the other article with you in it.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Jun 17th, 2017, 2:18pm

I must have had a really bad senior moment! I am intrigued and would love to see the Coyote. Dean did 55 mph at Battle Mountain, but Sam Whittingham would probably have gone 70+ in it! Or Fast Freddie.

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #11 - Jun 18th, 2017, 1:52pm

Very fast bike --  I was able able to hit ~60mph in sprints on the velodrome with the closed shell..   I could maintain 40mph for pretty much as long as I wanted.   It got hottern heck in there and humid.  At one point I had drilled little holes in the windscreen to help dump the humidity, it sort of worked but there was still pretty of fogging .. you'd ride thought something that looked like ||||   Grin    I had my sights set on battle mountain as well ..  I was strong back then, but not in those guys class .  no doubt a stronger rider could have done more with it.

Dean used to ride his in payrides out in CA with the mid-shell (all the lower clear bits) in the picture removed except for the windscreen - giving footholes..    If you look at mine theres no openings down there -- also no subframe .. Dean has a aluminum rail down the middle which holds the drivetrain, like a Pursuit ;  Mine is really just a FWD drive train with a small axel in the rear.. There is literally nothing but shell from the front to the back.

Quote from jrob_bent on Jun 17th, 2017, 2:18pm:
I must have had a really bad senior moment! I am intrigued and would love to see the Coyote. Dean did 55 mph at Battle Mountain, but Sam Whittingham would probably have gone 70+ in it! Or Fast Freddie.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Jun 18th, 2017, 4:42pm

Sounds like you were a pretty strong rider yourself. 60 mph at the velodrome is very, very fast! I read where Dean was hitting 60+ at Battle Mountain, but mis-judged the sprint at the finish and ran out of steam. He went too hard in the middle section. Wish I had been around back when you were racing.  

Whenever it would be convenient for you, I would love to come over and see this great bike, and the rest of your stable. I am still trying to find the article about you and the Coyote at the Superdrome. It is like it vanished! I am not giving up though.

Quote from MrWizard on Jun 18th, 2017, 1:52pm:
Very fast bike --  I was able able to hit ~60mph in sprints on the velodrome with the closed shell..   I could maintain 40mph for pretty much as long as I wanted.   It got hottern heck in there and humid.  At one point I had drilled little holes in the windscreen to help dump the humidity, it sort of worked but there was still pretty of fogging .. you'd ride thought something that looked like ||||   Grin    I had my sights set on battle mountain as well ..  I was strong back then, but not in those guys class .  no doubt a stronger rider could have done more with it.

Dean used to ride his in payrides out in CA with the mid-shell (all the lower clear bits) in the picture removed except for the windscreen - giving footholes..    If you look at mine theres no openings down there -- also no subframe .. Dean has a aluminum rail down the middle which holds the drivetrain, like a Pursuit ;  Mine is really just a FWD drive train with a small axel in the rear.. There is literally nothing but shell from the front to the back.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Jun 18th, 2017, 6:00pm

I just found this, Dean Pedersen going 78 mph at BM in his Rotator Coyote. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4EDF581257D82E6B. That is pretty darn fast! Well the caption said Dean, the video says Fast Freddie! Now I am really confused. Smiley

« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2017, 6:06pm by jrob_bent »  

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #14 - Jun 18th, 2017, 11:02pm

I'm about to embark on a serious garage cleaning exercise over the next week or so ..    I've got some equipment coming in (a newer CNC mill)  and need to make room for it .. after that I should have a completely dedicated bike shop and space ..    You'd be welcome of course at any time.  

A Lot of that superdrome stuff of mine vanished .. I had a few that I had saved one paper, but a lot online dissappeared over the years and I'm kicking myself for not saving them myself .

I also have a VHS tape of the channel 11 and channel 13 interviews that I need to go digitize as well.    So much to do -- so little time  

Quote from jrob_bent on Jun 18th, 2017, 4:42pm:
Sounds like you were a pretty strong rider yourself. 60 mph at the velodrome is very, very fast! I read where Dean was hitting 60+ at Battle Mountain, but mis-judged the sprint at the finish and ran out of steam. He went too hard in the middle section. Wish I had been around back when you were racing.

Whenever it would be convenient for you, I would love to come over and see this great bike, and the rest of your stable. I am still trying to find the article about you and the Coyote at the Superdrome. It is like it vanished! I am not giving up though.

Quote from MrWizard on Jun 18th, 2017, 1:52pm:

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #15 - Jun 18th, 2017, 11:08pm

Having met both of those folks over the years, I can tell you thats Freddie in the video as the pilot.   I can't tell what bike they are using though as a lot of bikes were made with similar style shells in that era ..  

Quote from jrob_bent on Jun 18th, 2017, 6:00pm:
I just found this, Dean Pedersen going 78 mph at BM in his Rotator Coyote. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4EDF581257D82E6B. That is pretty darn fast! Well the caption said Dean, the video says Fast Freddie! Now I am really confused. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #16 - Jun 19th, 2017, 8:49am

Steve Delaire, the builder of the two bikes, said Dean's weighed 45 pounds and he raced it for 13 years until a few years ago he got hit by an automobile and destroyed. The other bike weighed 35 pounds and has not been heard from since he sold it. Steve is out of the bike builder business and now works for an energy company.  

I think the bike in the video is actually Gardner Martin's bike that Fast Freddie rode at Battle Mountain. His 77+ mph run was the time to beat until Sam went 80 mph.  

I am at a crossroads myself whether or not I am going to re-build my coroplast Phantom, coroplast Musashi, or coroplast Baron fairings. The Phantom I could hold 30+ mph with the coroplast fairing, but I think with the Musashi or Baron, I could hold closer to 35 mph. The Phantom is more robust, upright seat, and heavier built. The Musashi and Baron, I would have to raise the seat up to be able to see. Whatever I end up doing, they will be used for racing and winter riding. You were right about the spandex getting too heavy when it rained or was very humid. I had to use 1" rigid foam to keep the spandex from collapsing in on me. The spandex was easier to ride in heavy winds though. The coroplast is faster.  

Decisions, decisions! At my age I need all the help I can get to go faster. As you know first hand Doug, once up to speed, the velos and streamliners take a lot less energy to maintain speed. I can hit the mid 30's on the Musashi and Baron, just not for very long. With the fairing, I can hold those speeds with way less energy.

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #17 - Jun 19th, 2017, 4:24pm

yeah sorry about being right about that spandex,   I road an F90 for years until a couple of good rain storms convinced me that spandex fairing was a really bad idea .  No amount of "scotch guard" was going to fix something like that.   Still, when its not raining its pretty sweet.  

Where's that quote about the bikes from?   ..  Mine is likely the second one being cited ..   I'd like to track down the author and wave a flag  exclaiming "over here"  

To your thoughts, are you wanting to go fast over distance or just go fast?   as the two are not equal and there are a lot of thoughts around both ..     There's a guy on BROL which made a cloroplast velo over the top of an ICE QNT  and its quite remarkable  http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=118961

There is also a quest shell for sell from a quest that might be a good project shell  http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=134358

Quote from jrob_bent on Jun 19th, 2017, 8:49am:
Steve Delaire, the builder of the two bikes, said Dean's weighed 45 pounds and he raced it for 13 years until a few years ago he got hit by an automobile and destroyed. The other bike weighed 35 pounds and has not been heard from since he sold it. Steve is out of the bike builder business and now works for an energy company.

I think the bike in the video is actually Gardner Martin's bike that Fast Freddie rode at Battle Mountain. His 77+ mph run was the time to beat until Sam went 80 mph.

I am at a crossroads myself whether or not I am going to re-build my coroplast Phantom, coroplast Musashi, or coroplast Baron fairings. The Phantom I could hold 30+ mph with the coroplast fairing, but I think with the Musashi or Baron, I could hold closer to 35 mph. The Phantom is more robust, upright seat, and heavier built. The Musashi and Baron, I would have to raise the seat up to be able to see. Whatever I end up doing, they will be used for racing and winter riding. You were right about the spandex getting too heavy when it rained or was very humid. I had to use 1" rigid foam to keep the spandex from collapsing in on me. The spandex was easier to ride in heavy winds though. The coroplast is faster.

Decisions, decisions! At my age I need all the help I can get to go faster. As you know first hand Doug, once up to speed, the velos and streamliners take a lot less energy to maintain speed. I can hit the mid 30's on the Musashi and Baron, just not for very long. With the fairing, I can hold those speeds with way less energy.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #18 - Jun 19th, 2017, 6:47pm

I thought I had read that Steve said it, but it is just some guy on BROL. Here is the link: http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=5647. I read it in a few other places too. I guess I read too much, but can only retain parts of what I read. darn, getting older really... you know.

Thanks for the link to Orin Peters corovelo. My trike would not be nearly as fast as an Ice, but I might experiment with building a coro body for it anyway. My answer to your question about wanting to go fast or fast over distance is, yes and yes. I'll build a coro shell for the trike and one for the Baron. I'll use the Baron for HPV racing and sprints. I'll use the trike for long distance. If I can come close to Orin's build, I'll build one later for a faster trike.

I wonder if I can get a shell built for my trike and make it to Paris, TX in time? I'll try. If I can get it done in time, I'll ride it from Sanger to Paris and back. If not, maybe I'll ride either the Musashi or Baron there and back. Are you planning on going to Paris? Riding over in the new Quad?

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #19 - Jun 20th, 2017, 8:19am

Yeah I knew about that thread .. its back from 2004 during a time I wasn't online much as I was busy trying to make it one day at a time ..  Online just wasn't so meaningful anymore.

Orin Peters machine is quite fast .. I think its his 5th generation ..   A lot of people are begging for him to post plans (as you can see from the forums)  but I think there really arn't any ..   I think he truely hand sanded and hand assembled the entire thing to fit ..  At one point he talks about using a sanding block to remove a little coloplast at a time so that he could get the fit just right.      Impressive workmanship and patience ..  

For Paris, thats still my intention ..  I need to plan a route and watch the weather and things ..   I also need to see if i can talk square_corners into it as I think thats the kind of thing he'd like  

Quote from jrob_bent on Jun 19th, 2017, 6:47pm:
I thought I had read that Steve said it, but it is just some guy on BROL. Here is the link: http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=5647. I read it in a few other places too. I guess I read too much, but can only retain parts of what I read. darn, getting older really... you know.

Thanks for the link to Orin Peters corovelo. My trike would not be nearly as fast as an Ice, but I might experiment with building a coro body for it anyway. My answer to your question about wanting to go fast or fast over distance is, yes and yes. I'll build a coro shell for the trike and one for the Baron. I'll use the Baron for HPV racing and sprints. I'll use the trike for long distance. If I can come close to Orin's build, I'll build one later for a faster trike.

I wonder if I can get a shell built for my trike and make it to Paris, TX in time? I'll try. If I can get it done in time, I'll ride it from Sanger to Paris and back. If not, maybe I'll ride either the Musashi or Baron there and back. Are you planning on going to Paris? Riding over in the new Quad?

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #20 - Jun 20th, 2017, 10:39am

Yes, Orin's build is very nice. I have read his blog, flickr, and website, and all the BROL stuff. I think I will start on mine in the next few days. I'll make up a cardboard template before I start cutting my coro. Yeah, Orin cut outside the lines on his coro and sanded to fit. He only used a few electrical ties and screws, mostly used tape and a little hot glue. I might leave the hood off until later in the fall. Too hot for me right now.

I will take I-35 service rd to Gainesville, and then take TX-56, county roads, and US-82 most of the way. I was going to take the NETT, North East Texas Trail, but it is in rough conditions in several spots. Plus, it is another 35 or so miles for me. Come on Daniel, you know you want to go!

I hope to make the Rally in Austin next year also.

« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2017, 10:45am by jrob_bent »  

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #21 - Jun 21st, 2017, 4:19pm

This is basically what I am building for the Phantom: http://wao.com/trips/monterey-2000/large/P0003895.jpg,
http://wao.com/trips/monterey-2000/large/P0003894.jpg

I am starting on a fairing for my trike similar to Orin Peters Velomobile.  

As hot as it is, I might just ride the Musashi to Paris. If I can get the trike done in time with fans inside it, I will ride it. Or then again, maybe the Phantom coroliner with fans inside it, or the Baron, or... Ha, ha. Hope to see everyone there.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print