Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Mar 29th, 2024, 3:15am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
New Catbike Owner, Me (Read 5455 times)
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

New Catbike Owner, Me
Jun 5th, 2017, 5:12pm

I went to Jay's Clearance Sale, and bought his Musashi.  It's black and FAST so I've named it Night Train.  After a few tweaks and test drives, I took it today to WRL to see what it could do, reigning it in where there is still storm debris.  2 laps total at 19.1 mph average. 20 mph is possible right now, but I wonder what the top end is with this vintage motor.  I was about to start the third lap when Dark Sky said everyone out of the pool.  "87% chance of rain in 15 mins., [right where you're standing, Bud!]"  ...and sure enough, it came down right on cue...with lightning.  Oh well.  Smiley

« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2017, 5:19pm by Action Lad »  

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: New Catbike Owner, Me
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2017, 12:05pm

Sweet!  You on a Moose will be faster than ever!

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2017, 5:37pm

Quote from Monkeywrangler22 on Jun 6th, 2017, 12:05pm:
Vic, I have seen the RBENTers riding these things for years, and for some reason they always looked heavy and slow.  Bob, today was commenting on the space frame, and said that that is what makes it so stiff...and fast.  Then I thought, "Ah, it is the width of the frame, (not being one pole, but a 3-D affair), that was deceptive.  Not only does that thing fly, but even as low as it is, it's much higher than the trike.  You're looking around at the scenery slowly going by and you think, "Man, can't this thing move any faster?!"  Then you look at the speedo..."24 mph(!)"  And you're like, "Oh."  

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2017, 6:27pm

Quote from Action Lad on Jun 6th, 2017, 5:37pm:
Vic, I have seen the RBENTers riding these things for years, and for some reason they always looked heavy and slow.  Bob, today was commenting on the space frame, and said that that is what makes it so stiff...and fast.  Then I thought, "Ah, it is the width of the frame, (not being one pole, but a 3-D affair), that was deceptive.  Not only does that thing fly, but even as low as it is, it's much higher than the trike.  You're looking around at the scenery slowly going by and you think, "Man, can't this thing move any faster?!"  Then you look at the speedo..."24 mph(!)"  And you're like, "Oh."  

Advertised weight was 27 lbs. When I owned it, ready-to-ride weight (w/bags, tools, spare tubes, etc) was 31 lb-10 oz.

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2017, 8:13pm

Quote from jayg on Jun 6th, 2017, 6:27pm:
Quote from Action Lad on Jun 6th, 2017, 5:37pm:

Advertised weight was 27 lbs. When I owned it, ready-to-ride weight (w/bags, tools, spare tubes, etc) was 31 lb-10 oz.
Jay, add 4.2 lbs. for water bottle, Serfas e-Lume, Dinotte Quad Red, and GoPro cams plus mount, (all obligatory anytime), and it comes to 35.2 lbs. Anathema to a weight weenie, but obligatory with my life:  Water bottle because this motor runs super hot in the warm sunshine; forward and rear blinkies, even at the lake, to give motorists no excuses, and cams for forensics.  Case in point: Only today, on my fourth time around, riding with Mark on his 700, a Mercedes driver was coming down the hill from the picnic tables...er...where that house burned down after the bath house, and nearly nailed me.  After learning that I had cameras on him, he said he did it without meaning it, with no malice.  Really?  Even with my foghorn voice bellowing "Hey!!!" You kept coming.  Not sure the cameras caught it all, as the batteries were flagging at that point, and position on the bike could be better.  Just about to order new, long-neck RAM Mount for the base.  

« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2017, 6:24pm by Action Lad »  

IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2017, 8:25pm

Well hell as long as you're at it, go for the cloth top, girls just love convertibles...Jay not so much.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2017, 9:49pm

I love my Moose but hate the brakes on it. My Baron has front disc brake and it works way better. You will love the speed, comfort, and agility of the Moose. Hopefully I can get back to WRL to ride again soon. 56 miles one way is a bit too far to come too often on I-35.  Smiley Hopefully i'll be in better shape when I come back too.

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Jun 7th, 2017, 2:14pm

Quote from johnnybent on Jun 6th, 2017, 8:25pm:
Well hell as long as you're at it, go for the cloth top, girls just love convertibles...Jay not so much.
Hmm, a cloth top for the ladies. (Key muses while stroking imaginary beard)

Quote from jrob_bent on Jun 6th, 2017, 9:49pm:
I love my Moose but hate the brakes on it. My Baron has front disc brake and it works way better. You will love the speed, comfort, and agility of the Moose. Hopefully I can get back to WRL to ride again soon. 56 miles one way is a bit too far to come too often on I-35.  Smiley Hopefully i'll be in better shape when I come back too.
Well, I dunno if Gorman Industries tweaked those brakes, but they're stopping with legendary Catrike force.  And as far as the comfort part, even with the tires both at 100 lbs., it feels like a luxury car in comparison to the 700.  But don't get me wrong, making the 700 more pliable, and cushy is like putting ketchup on cracked peppercorn encrusted steak.  You should be arrested for it.

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Jun 7th, 2017, 9:24pm

Catrike installed long-pull disk brake brake levers on Musashis. Musashis have caliper brakes. That's why they were not very effective. I installed short-pull Shimano caliiper brake levers on the bike.  Made a significant difference.

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Jun 7th, 2017, 11:47pm

Quote from jayg on Jun 7th, 2017, 9:24pm:
Catrike installed long-pull disk brake brake levers on Musashis. Musashis have caliper brakes. That's why they were not very effective. I installed short-pull Shimano caliiper brake levers on the bike.  Made a significant difference.
Ay...mayen!
And regarding the comfort, the 6 inches of difference between the shorter 700's wheelbase: 45"(nowadays 46") and the Musashi's at 51" explains it. Also, of course, the Musashi has a seat pad, which is appropriate since you're balancing atop a two wheeler 's seat.  But oh, the cradled-in feel of my 700's bucket seat hammock, though.  Speed around a corner and the seat moves your rear right through it, like you're in a Recaro racing seat.  
That does it.  I'm taking the trike to the lake tomorrow.  New tires for the twisties!  Smiley

IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2017, 8:32am

I remember you telling me this before Jay. I didn't do it because I bought the Baron and fell in love with the increased speed! I'll put the new short pull levers on the Moose now, as I plan on keeping it. Both bikes are fun to ride.

How many bikes are you down to now Jay? I am down to 5 from 6, and will soon be down to 3. I am hoping for a Milan to be in my Christmas basket!

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Jun 8th, 2017, 6:34pm

Quote from jrob_bent on Jun 8th, 2017, 8:32am:

I remember you telling me this before Jay. I didn't do it because I bought the Baron and fell in love with the increased speed! I'll put the new short pull levers on the Moose now, as I plan on keeping it. Both bikes are fun to ride.

How many bikes are you down to now Jay? I am down to 5 from 6, and will soon be down to 3. I am hoping for a Milan to be in my Christmas basket!

Down to six bikes,  1 trike and a visiting GIRO 20. After I get rid of one more bike and the GIRO, I'll be able to move around in my garage.

Man, a Milan for a Christmas present? Would be the best one ever.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Jun 8th, 2017, 8:34pm

I don't have a garage now that I sold my house. 3 bikes here at the RV, 1 in storage, and 1 in my daughter's garage, who sold her house, and told me I had to remove said bike from her garage. My wife says I have our RV spot looking like a junk yard! How rude. Ha. She also said I would have to un-retire and get a job if I got the Milan. I am hoping by selling off two more bikes, i get the Milan. Pretty please!  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Jun 14th, 2017, 8:24pm

Installed this awesome crankset on Key's Musashi this morning: FSA SLK carbon triple crankset with a 55T aero TT big ring.

\

« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2017, 8:35pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Jun 14th, 2017, 10:20pm

That looks sweet Jay! I need a 55 or 58 3rd ring on my Moose. I spin out way too soon with the compact double.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #15 - Jun 15th, 2017, 10:57am

Interesting, I go from 2 wheels to 3, and Key goes the other direction...   keeping the universe in balance, perhaps?   Cheesy

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #16 - Jun 15th, 2017, 3:28pm

Quote from jrob_bent on Jun 14th, 2017, 10:20pm:
That looks sweet Jay! I need a 55 or 58 3rd ring on my Moose. I spin out way too soon with the compact double.

Yeah, the stock compact double crankset doesn't cut it for strong riders. Key was hitting 30 mph on the West Lawther flats this morning. Needless to say, none of the other Clowns were able to ride with him.    

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #17 - Jun 15th, 2017, 7:51pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jun 15th, 2017, 10:57am:
Interesting, I go from 2 wheels to 3, and Key goes the other direction...   keeping the universe in balance, perhaps?   Cheesy
I'll go back to a trike when I have a back fusion, or hip replacement, or some other silly thing.  

Seriously, you'll know I need a head replacement when I leave that trike.   Smiley

IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #18 - Jun 15th, 2017, 7:56pm

Quote from jayg on Jun 15th, 2017, 3:28pm:
Quote from jrob_bent on Jun 14th, 2017, 10:20pm:

Yeah, the stock compact double crankset doesn't cut it for strong riders. Key was hitting 30 mph on the West Lawther flats this morning. Needless to say, none of the other Clowns were able to ride with him.  
That's a much yummier speedway now.  The impetus to go faster comes from making the ground look like it's going by as fast as when I'm on the trike.   Smiley

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #19 - Jul 5th, 2017, 6:50pm

Notice what Photobucket has done in my last post on page 1 of this thread. They've replaced the photo I posted, and my avatar, with a P500 notice. They've done this to all the photos I've posted to the Forum with no advance notice. All I have to do is send them $500 to get the photos restored. I'm thinking there is a term for that kind of action.

« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2017, 6:53pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #20 - Jul 6th, 2017, 7:30am

http://www.csoonline.com/article/3205765/internet/photobucket-replaced-millions- of-images-with-ransom-demand.html

Quote from jayg on Jul 5th, 2017, 6:50pm:
Notice what Photobucket has done in my last post on page 1 of this thread. They've replaced the photo I posted, and my avatar, with a P500 notice. They've done this to all the photos I've posted to the Forum with no advance notice. All I have to do is send them $500 to get the photos restored. I'm thinking there is a term for that kind of action.

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #21 - Jul 6th, 2017, 6:58pm

Quote from MrWizard on Jul 6th, 2017, 7:30am:
http://www.csoonline.com/article/3205765/internet/photobucket-replaced-millions- of-images-with-ransom-demand.html

Quote from jayg on Jul 5th, 2017, 6:50pm:

For shame! Angry

IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print