Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 19th, 2024, 8:10am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Big tires on trikes- good or bad? (Read 1835 times)
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Big tires on trikes- good or bad?
May 14th, 2017, 12:02am

My trike experience is very limited, but I've started shopping. I did a test ride today on a Catrike 559 that had schwalbe crazy bob tires on it. 2.1 wide in the front, 2.35 wide in the back. It seemed like a pretty cushy ride and didn't seem to slow me down all that much. Any experienced folks care to offer an opinion? I'm always going to be one of the slow crowd (12-15mph avg). I'm wondering which would be better for me, a Dumont with skinnier tires, or a 5.5.9 with bigger tires but 3 lb lighter? Or are the standard marathons on a 559 good enough around here?

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Big tires on trikes- good or bad?
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2017, 12:07pm

For many years, lots of folks have found they can get a "suspension" feel using lower pressure tires. Big Apple tires, for example, have been perennial favorites for giving a suspended feel to a non-suspended trike, reportedly without a significant loss of speed. There have been several discussions over at BROL.  It really is about what you find the most comfortable and what fits best with your budget. Some of our customers have not found the front suspension on the Dumont to be as soft as they would like, so there will probably be folks switching out tires on them before too long.

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Big tires on trikes- good or bad?
Reply #2 - May 17th, 2017, 4:19pm

One of the people I ride with owns a 5.5.9 with standard 40 mm Marathon Racer tires. She rides with them inflated to 80 psi.  They roll fast and provide acceptable ride comfort. She said she rode on some loose gravel once and they performed satisfactorily.

A set of 54-406 and 60-559 Crazy Bob tires would weigh 2.4 pounds more than a set of 40-406 and 40-559 Marathon Racer tires. A set of them mounted on a Dumont would bring its total weight to 45.4 pounds, which is 5.9 pounds heavier than a 5.5.9 with standard Marathons. That extra weight, particularly in the tires, would negativly affect acceleration.

I have ridden with two other 5.5.9 riders who like their trikes. Don't know any Dumont owners.

In light of the above, Patti's comment concerning the Dumont's front suspension, and a $1,000 lower price, IMO the 5.59 with standard Marathons would be the better buy.

Some tire rolling resistance factoids: www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/rolling_resistance

Some side notes:  

My VTX trike, which is equipped with 23 mm Schwalbe One tirees pressured at 100 psi, is a real bone shaker on the poor pavement sections of the White Rock Creek Trail.  

Put a 700 trike together for a friend. It was equipped with Marathons. Took it for a test ride without checking the tire pressure. The ride quality was very good and the trike rolled fast. When I checked the tires, found out they only had 20 psi in them.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print