Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 20th, 2024, 6:11am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Blind driver? (Read 1330 times)
Dennis

rbent member

Blind driver?
May 13th, 2017, 3:16pm

Still debating whether this one is closecalldatabase worthy.  

https://youtu.be/1R0wfJ4iwa8

Guess I need a front camera on my trike too.   Sometime around 7am Saturday morning (May 13th), as I came around this corner,  the lady in the other vehicle (A White Ford Edge I think)  veers into my lane and starts coming straight at me.   As I honk and skid turn toward the grass she finally steers away from me.  Until that point I   had no doubt were on course for a head on collision.  Neither of us has a stop sign.  There are no obstructions blocking her from seeing me approaching the intersection.   I might have been coming out of the sun from her view if she only looked up at the last second and hadn't been paying attention previously.  Of course if she can't see (regardless of the reason),  I'd wish she'd stay in her lane instead of crossing over into mine. I was wearing something in Columbia's "Gulf Stream" color similar to this,  signaling my right turn with my right arm out,  using a cat-eye front light in strobe mode, and have a flag on a 7 foot tall mast on my bike.   I really try to remain visible.   I think she has a license plate covered by plastic to make it difficult to read from an angle.  The drivers expression as she passed seemed emotionless.

IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Blind driver?
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2017, 4:37pm

"Still debating whether this one is closecalldatabase worthy."
"Guess I need a front camera on my trike too."  
"The drivers expression as she passed seemed emotionless."

First of all, this is certainly CCDB worthy.  Any close call is worthy, hence the name.  I've posted to the site myself.

Secondly, folks like to watch the videos I post, but the main reason I run cameras is for forensics.  

Thirdly, you do need a rear-facing camera.  Defense attorneys will use your lack of rear view on the accident to their client's advantage.  "Oh, you have no video proof of that happening?  Fine.  Your honor, I move that the lack of evidence should cause this case to be dismissed." (gulp!)  It's the reason I always, always have two cameras, one front-, and one rear-facing, though most of the trouble comes from the rear.

Lastly, as you ride more and more, especially these exotic machines, you will learn about the psychology of motorists.  Here's a tip which may receive flak from the ladies reading, but blinking lights....especially those that sparkle, like Planet Bike binkies which turn on and off at different intensities, will cause some women drivers to steer right into you.  One two occasions I have seen them head straight for me and the expression on their faces were of mesmerization, the "expressionless" visage you mentioned.  During the day, you need the headlight as well as the tail light to blink, but especially at night, be sure to have the headlight steady and IF you blink at the rear, have a steady marker as well.  Sparkling lights should be banned from cycling by law because of their dangerous power of attraction.  All blinkies will not only alert, but attract as well, however, sparkling ones will get you killed.    

My 2˘  

« Last Edit: May 13th, 2017, 4:39pm by Action Lad »  

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print