Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 24th, 2024, 8:54am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
VK2 Driveline Noise (Read 3042 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

VK2 Driveline Noise
May 8th, 2017, 5:07pm

Don't like driveline noise, so had a problem with the noise the return side of the chain was generating at the short chain tube mounted on the power side idler's carbon chain keeper. The chain was deflected both down and to the right where it passed through the tube. I made the driveline silent on my VTX trike by replacing its short return side chain tube with a toothed idler assembly. So, decided to do the same on the VK2. Chain was even noisier. Took the idler assembly off and installed a longer chain tube. Lots of noise when I test rode the bike. Was considering other options this past Sunday morning when I discovered the true source of the noise - the M4 screw attaching the tube mount to the idler chain keeper was approximately 1/8" too long and was in contact with the large drive side plastic idler. Ground the end of the screw off and re-threaded it. Problem solved, verified by test riding, yesterday.

Original, short return side chain tube. A little noisy.

Prototype toothed idler assembly. Would have quietened the driveline significantly, if not for too long mounting screw.

Longer chain tube quieter than original short tube.

Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: VK2 Driveline Noise
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2017, 7:45pm

And ya saved 1/4 gram shaving
 off that excess weight. I swear you have carbon bolts if they made em you weight weenie you.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - May 8th, 2017, 8:11pm

Quote from johnnybent on May 8th, 2017, 7:45pm:
And ya saved 1/4 gram shaving
off that excess weight. I swear you have carbon bolts if they made em you weight weenie you.

They don't make carbon bolts? Man, what a downer. Guess you noticed the chain tube clamp is made out of carbon.

Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2017, 8:47pm

Well yeah....how's about a carbon bell....10 grams right there.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - May 9th, 2017, 7:08am

Jay, my hearing is so bad, I don't even notice chain noise. As far as a weight weenie, I am a weight sausage. Me and the bike, and all my things I carry, come in about 260 pounds. Some days it is closer to 270, especially when riding over 40 miles, I carry over a gallon of ice water, like Saturday when I rode with the Corinth Cycling group. I rode 52 miles and ran out of water and Heed a mile from the RV. Me and everything weighed 267 pounds at the start. End of ride I weighed again, 257 pounds.

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - May 9th, 2017, 7:02pm

Quote from jrob_bent on May 9th, 2017, 7:08am:
Jay, my hearing is so bad, I don't even notice chain noise. As far as a weight weenie, I am a weight sausage. Me and the bike, and all my things I carry, come in about 260 pounds. Some days it is closer to 270, especially when riding over 40 miles, I carry over a gallon of ice water, like Saturday when I rode with the Corinth Cycling group. I rode 52 miles and ran out of water and Heed a mile from the RV. Me and everything weighed 267 pounds at the start. End of ride I weighed again, 257 pounds.

That's impressive. I couldn't even get that much weight rolling, much less up hills. Right now, I'm not even carrying a water bottle.

I can hear annoying noises coming from my bikes, but my hearing is not good enough to pinpoint their locations. Rode the VK2 57 miles today, and chain noise is now at an acceptable (to me) level.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #6 - May 10th, 2017, 9:30am

Quote from jayg on May 9th, 2017, 7:02pm:

I can hear annoying noises coming from my bikes, but my hearing is not good enough to pinpoint their locations.

Maybe it's your bones creaking...    Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - May 10th, 2017, 10:04am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on May 10th, 2017, 9:30am:
Quote from jayg on May 9th, 2017, 7:02pm:

I can hear annoying noises coming from my bikes, but my hearing is not good enough to pinpoint their locations.

Maybe it's your bones creaking...    Smiley

Very funny. Not.  Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - May 26th, 2017, 5:01pm

Took the plastic power side idler off the bike and found out the rubber "O" ring that is supposed to be in the groove in the center of the idler was missing. Also, discovered the chain has been chewing on the idler. Smoothed off the idler's circumference in my lathe and installed a new "O" ring. The driveline should be even quieter, now.  

Ace Hardware is a good place to purchase idler "O" rings. They have a pretty good selection of large rings.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print