Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:34pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
No brakes~ (Read 467 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

No brakes~
May 4th, 2017, 9:15am

Had an interesting occurrence on Tuesday night...  was cranking along on the Mesquite ride with the gang, and just before we got to the 7-11 stop after 20 miles, suddenly I had no right brake stopping action!!!  Pulling on the lever did NOTHING...   Fortunately, there is very little brake steer on the SprintX, so I was able to just use the left brake for the last mile or so.

Being a hydraulic brake, I figured that I had somehow lost fluid -- but examining it in the parking lot, I couldn't find any oil residue or indication of leak.  I looked at the brake, and saw something moving against the rotor when I pulled the lever, but no clamping was happening.  It was a total mystery.  Wound up shortcutting back to the start, with a couple other riders.

I took the trike down to John's and left it.  When I talked to Patti later in the day, she said:  "Your BRAKE PADS were gone!!!  The screw that holds everything in apparently vibrated loose and backed out, and the spring and both pads fell out!"

Holy crap....  and I didn't even realize it when I looked at it, not expecting NOTHING to be there...   Shocked

So, Patti scavenged brake parts off of their floor model (thank you!), to get it fixed for this weekend's MS150 -- and she locktited the holding screws on BOTH brakes, as a precaution.    Smiley

HIndsight being 20:15, apparently this is why my right-side braking was squealing every once in a while, on the Sunday Roll ride...   Cheesy

« Last Edit: May 4th, 2017, 9:16am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print