Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 19th, 2024, 2:05am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Recumbent booth at 2017 Earth Day (Read 2165 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Recumbent booth at 2017 Earth Day
Mar 29th, 2017, 1:30pm

Patti approached me with the idea of sponsoring a recumbent "Viewing/Info" tent spot at the Dallas Earth Day weekend, but I wasn't sure we could find enough people to really staff it for the three days of the thing, plus it was $300...

Well, apparently, she and Steve have gone ahead and gotten a "Texas Recumbent Riders" booth, anyway!  So, now it's our task as friends to help them out.

The event is April 21-23 at Fair Park in Dallas. Event hours are 10-6 each day. They will have a simple 10x10 tent, INDOORS, and plan to have their two trikes and maybe one 2-wheeler at the booth for people to SEE - not ride -- plus catalogs, a video display, and literature. There is not the space/opportunity for test rides. They are going to be inundated with curiosity and questions, and they are going to need some recumbent ambassadors to help them handle all the questions.

Friday, April 21, is apparently a school day, so expect lots of kids asking lots of questions.

Can you help out?  However much time you can offer - 30 minutes or more. Whether you can or not, it's a fun event, overall, and admission is free.

Post your potential intentions on this thread as to what time(s) you could be there to help out, and Patti will coordinate things accordingly.  They already plan to be there most of the time...

Note -- I wouldn't recommend riding down to the event, because there won't be a place to park your machine at the booth, and they don't want to allow bikes inside the grounds anyway, due to the large number of people walking around.   Take DART train/bus instead!

« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2017, 1:31pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Re: Recumbent booth at 2017 Earth Day
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2017, 4:28pm

I was going to offer to ride a velo down there and hang out for  part of the day, especially if there was free food, or at least pay food, or did I mention food?  

But --

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Mar 29th, 2017, 1:30pm:

Note -- I wouldn't recommend riding down to the event, because there won't be a place to park your machine at the booth, and they don't want to allow bikes inside the grounds anyway, due to the large number of people walking around.   Take DART train/bus instead!

bah humbug  

Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2017, 2:21pm

If anyone is interested and available to help out, we would appreciate it. We do plan to be there all weekend so it might be nice to be able to run to the bathroom occasionally without completely abandoning our post. However, I know some of you will be going to Oklahoma for the rally. Hope y'all have a GREAT time.  

Regarding cycling to the event: Last year, Steve and I rode our trikes to this and, although the gate folks let us right on through, security tried to make us take the trikes back outside the park. We were told bikes/trikes were not allowed inside the park. We were allowed to stay only because a gentleman, who had an innovations exhibit, paid us each a dollar, designated us employees, and invited us to leave the trikes at his booth. We intended to see the event but never got away from the booth due to the number of people interested in the trikes.

That said, the Earth Day Texas folks have promised me this was just a misunderstanding, that the event was and is VERY cycling-friendly, have insisted they did, indeed, have bike/trike parking inside the event area last year and that they would do the same this year. So, it might be possible for folks to ride to the event but since these events always seem to have instances where the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, I cannot be certain.  

The booth we have this year is small, 10x10,  but we plan on squeezing in a couple of trikes and bikes for display and plan to have video running. I happen to know a guy that has a few recumbent videos. Wink

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2017, 9:01am

The Texas Recumbent Riders booth will be in the Automobile Building, Booth #2205

If you're attending the event over the weekend, or want to stop by and give Patti and Steve a break, please do so!

I'm planning to be at the booth on Saturday, from around 12:30 to 2:30 or so.   Remember, don't ride your bike to the event...  there's not room to ride safely inside the grounds.

Paul

« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2017, 9:12am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2017, 9:14am

Only in Texas can we have a bike-unfriendly earth day event.

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Apr 18th, 2017, 9:01am:
Remember, don't ride your bike to the event...  there's not room to ride safely inside the grounds.

Paul

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2017, 11:31am

Would you really WANT to try to ride through masses of people?  Going around White Rock at certain times of the week is bad enough...    Roll Eyes

MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #6 - Apr 18th, 2017, 1:29pm

No, what I'd want is an earth day event to actually support bicycling, which would include safe places to a. ride b. park.  

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Apr 18th, 2017, 11:31am:
Would you really WANT to try to ride through masses of people?  Going around White Rock at certain times of the week is bad enough...    Roll Eyes

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2017, 10:36am

Seems like I've read something about an area to try out electric-assist bikes, from a particular vendor.  Our pockets aren't that deep...   Smiley

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #8 - Apr 19th, 2017, 10:37am

Anyone else planning to go down there, and could spend a bit of time at the booth?

MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #9 - Apr 19th, 2017, 6:11pm

Yes, and I'm going to ride and bring 4 video cameras with me.   If I get turned away, then at least I'll have some youtube footage and a nice ride

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Apr 19th, 2017, 10:37am:
Anyone else planning to go down there, and could spend a bit of time at the booth?

Email   IP Logged
artcat

rbent member

Reply #10 - Apr 20th, 2017, 7:37pm

I'm going to try and get there early Friday afternoon.  I'll take the train

Green Musashi
Bachetta Corsa SS
Black Catrike 700
  IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Apr 21st, 2017, 7:12pm

It isn't truly bike unfriendly. They are supposed to have bike parking inside the grounds but I cannot verify for certain as I have had very little time to get away from the booth. Lynn came by today (thanks again!!!) and we ended the day with 72 test rides (on roller trainers  Wink). Even had a couple of folks who came back a second time. All in all, off to a good start.

IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Apr 23rd, 2017, 9:20am

Day two: 136 test riders. Big thanks to Paul for stopping by and helping. We REALLY appreciated the help!!!
We have met some great folks of all ages and are looking forward to meeting many more today.

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #13 - Apr 24th, 2017, 8:57am

It was fun, and basically as busy as the State Fair!   I'm guessing either John's or EasyStreet will do a store booth next year.   I even got some of my GDB "DF" riders that came by to try the trikes....

MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #14 - Apr 24th, 2017, 7:50pm

I never made it by  -- kid got sick and I had to play Mr Mom ..   I heard good things about it from the DF group I ride with.  Congratulations to Patti and Steve!  

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Apr 24th, 2017, 8:57am:
It was fun, and basically as busy as the State Fair!   I'm guessing either John's or EasyStreet will do a store booth next year.   I even got some of my GDB "DF" riders that came by to try the trikes....

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print