Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 23rd, 2024, 2:35pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dallas Senior Games (Read 3451 times)
reever

rbent member

Dallas Senior Games
Mar 5th, 2017, 12:45pm

The Senior Games was a very fun event for everybody who showed up--thanks Patti and Jane for publicizing the event. The times, they are a changing--upright riders were by and large the focus of the event, but we were there in some pretty good numbers and the future looks pretty bright in my estimation for our participation in the Games.

My suggestion that I will throw into the discussion for future games is that we have two tents for the awards ceremonies--one for uprights and one for us. We all showed our appreciation as the categories--all of them--complete with vignettes about past accomplishments, health issues, and job histories of the riders in the upright division were gone through and then it came to us and our awards and the crickets and banjos chimed in to cheer for us because the uprights had gone. I personally didn't care, because it made it more personal and family-like with all of us cheering for one another as we huddled next to one another for warmth and kinship under the Easy Street tent with the Easy Street van blocking much of the cold wind for us. It would be really nice to have someone giving out our awards who knows us and could give us the same kind of personal stories as the medals are hung around our necks.

I kind of thought it was funny when the guy running the thing off just kind of ran out of gas and said something to the effect of 'hey if you guys know who won the 20K event, just come up here and get your medals'. We were all good with that, as it was cold and we had raced hard that day.

I think the guy who ran the thing off was a really competent guy who had a really good reputation in the DF world. He was put in the awkward position of taking information from Dallas Parks and Rec and making something out of it. I would not want that job, and he was probably volunteering his time. So I will discourage any bad-mouthing of the event because of him. When you are handcuffed to a dullard sometimes you are mistaken for one yourself.

Double entendre here--those of you who were there know what I'm talking about when I say that like the old Arabian proverb says--we camels got our nose in the tent this year.......

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, and feel free to add to this list, but by my count we had riders from Corpus, Houston, Abilene, Arkansas, Dallas AND Fort Worth. Who am I leaving out?

And lastly, please chime in if you had as much fun as I did! Being out here all by myself with no recumbents to ride with, I find it SO GOOD to see other kindred souls and visit with you guys!!!!

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2017, 8:57am by reever »  

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Re: Dallas Senior Games
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2017, 3:23pm

I thoroughly enjoyed myself out there with a bunch of bent riders.  Typically I ride alone or with a group of diamond frames so this was very different for me to ride with and see so many bents at one time, they are a rare sighting in Fort Worth.  It was good to see familiar faces and to have the opportunity to say things like oh your Reever or the many others I met face to face for the first time.  

I agree there is certainly room for improvement with this function but hey, don't we all have areas we can improve in.  Perhaps the best thing any of us could do is send Dean an email with our ideas, after all he asked for feedback and did work hard to pull this off.  

It was great to see Easy Street travel up from Austin to represent the bent nation so very well.  Thanks to Patti and Paul for posting here so we would know about it and thanks to Tim for posting on the Bacchetta site.  Much gratitude to all those who traveled to participate, it was great to meet you.  A great thanks to Gary for letting me ride his Awesome VTX+, although my wife doesn't share in the enthusiasm  Smiley  

All in all it was a great day on the bike Saturday with all the wind and Sunday with the rain.  Beats the heck out of sitting in an office or watching Tv any day.

« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2017, 3:25pm by Phantom Rider »  

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2017, 6:15pm

Congrats to all who was there. I tried to get there Sunday, but fell short of my goal. I guess with the wind, rain, and my recent surgery, I did not have what it took to ride the extra 40 miles round trip. If I am healthy next year, I will be there. Again, my hat is off to everyone who was there.

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
CruzbikeChris

rbent member

Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2017, 8:00pm

And the winners are? Please post, I know several of you took ho e medals, congrats.

Chris

2013 Cruzbike Silvio 2.1
2017 Cannondale Trail 5 for the off road times
  IP Logged
Mdicke

rbent member

Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2017, 10:29pm

I'll hop in and echo Phantom and Reever - fun, yes,  improvements yes, another day on the bike, hanging out with bike people yes. I really enjoyed it and to paraphrase one of the guys, I still finished ahead of the guy on the couch.   Grin

« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2017, 10:30pm by Mdicke »  

Rans F5
Catrike 700
Specialized Allez (DF)
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - Mar 6th, 2017, 7:26am

'Twas a rainy, windy Sunday morning out at TMS, for the 40K. There were 30 or so DF riders, split into two start groups, and a small group of us bents - 2 trikes, and 3 two-wheelers. My particular ride was a good one, helped out by Gary Bradford loaning me his disc 700 rear wheel for the SprintX trike. Very kind of him, to volunteer this!

I sat on Joe Hooten's wheel at 20ish for the first lap, as we caught and passed a group of 10 DF riders about mile 3 or so, finishing the first lap a bit ahead of them, to the surprise of the people gathered at the start/finish.  My Strava record says it was 14:14, which is about a 21 mph average for that lap.  It had also started to rain, lightly.... About halfway through the second lap, it was raining heavier, and when we got to the incline, I decided I wasn't going to hang with Joe anymore at 20+, and thanked him for the draft. He was riding strong...  We were both wiping our glasses regularly. Soon, the group of DFs caught and passed me. I decided to hook into the back of their group, drafting at 20, and as we completed the second lap in front of the people, I was right in the back of the group, with all kind of spray obscuring my glasses, so about all I could see were the white shoes going up and down in front of me - but I hung at the back and avoided causing any problems.

A rainy half lap later, their group sped up on the incline and left me behind - I couldn't hang. From that point on it was basically a solo time trial in the rain, for the rest of the way. I caught and passed several other DF riders on my loops, and no one ever passed me, but I never caught Joe or the DF group - although I had Joe in my sights somewhere around the middle of lap 4.  Perhaps he saw me, and thought, "Oh, hell, no...."   Grin

I was pretty tired on my last lap, but still felt pretty good, and was able to hold 20-21 mph the last mile or so into the wind to the Finish, finishing in under 1:18 (my goal was to be under 1:20), with an average about 19.25 mph according to my computer. I'll get the "official" time later. Not bad, on a 40-pound trike in wind and rain!  It's still kind of amazing to me how tough it is to get a trike above 20mph...  I think if I'd have been on the Xstream, I would have smoked most of the DF riders -- but as wet as it was, I'm glad I was on three wheels -- I never had to think about the road conditions, at all, except to dodge the major puddles.

It was good riding and sharing time with the rest of the bent gang that was there, and I'm sorry I missed Saturday's activities -  sounds like it was quite the party. Thanks again to Gary for the use of the disc wheel! I'm sure it added at least 1 mph to my average. Of course, I forgot to stop my Strava recording when I finished, so it shows a 16 mph average... (grin)

Thanks for everyone who participated this weekend - hope everybody had a good time - plan to do it again next year!

« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2017, 9:03am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #6 - Mar 6th, 2017, 8:43am

Okay, before you read on, you must know that these times were uphill and into the wind. Yes, the entire circular course was a continual spiral upward and we had cold, tornadic winds constantly in our face--anyone who attended will back me up on this--right gang???

I finished the 5k according to my GPS in 8:18, the 10K in 18:04, and the 20K in 37:16. The way I figured it my average speeds were 22.41, 20.59, and 19.96mph, respectively. I don't know if official results will be posted anywhere at any time. If they are and they contradict my GPS, I guess you can go with what they have officially.

Interestingly, my maximum speed on the 20K and the 5K were the same (30.5mph), while the max on the 10K was only 27.8mph.

Good for the folks who braved the cold wind and RAIN (!) to do the 40K!!!

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2017, 8:48am by reever »  

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7 - Mar 6th, 2017, 9:13am

OK, cleaned up the Strava data to remove extraneous before/after points...  overall time shows as 1:17:47, with laps splits of:

14:32 - 20.7mph (thanks, Joe!)   Wink
15:25 - 19.5mph
15:46 - 19.0mph
16:41 - 18.0mph
15:23 - 19.5mph

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Mar 6th, 2017, 9:42am

We had a good day at TMS on Saturday. The weather wasn't the best but we had an excellent turn out for the first year recumbent events. Not the best organized but it was, after all, a Dallas P&R event so it met my expectations. Dean did the best he could but sincerely wants to make it better for next year. One thing they  definitely need for next year is additional volunteers.

Mike and Sharon came up from Austin with the Easy Street party van. Their tents, snacks, tools, work stands, and especially blankets were greatly appreciated. Having such excellent support for the recumbents made a positive impression on the DF crowd. The rumors of food trucks for the event proved to be untrue. Dean told me they couldn't get them because TMS says outside vendors selling food violates their contract with the onsite caterers (who were, of course, not open)

The course was interesting as I was expecting it to be flat but it actually rolls somewhat. I wore my brand new Giro Air Attack helmet for the occasion and had the magnetic visor ripped off by a wind gust during my second event. It was destroyed as it not only got scoured on the asphalt but broke almost in half.   Sad

Several bent riders were mistakenly included in DF divisions, but some of us did ok nonetheless.  I was announced as the silver medalist in the 5 and 10k events - in the DF division. I was tempted to accept it as it made me feel pretty good to realize I rode faster on my trike than others did on their DF. However, these got changed to gold once I pointed out I was riding a recumbent.

I have sent an email requesting the official final results for the recumbent events but have not yet gotten a response. Will post it if I do.  

Thanks to all of you terrific RBENT folks who came out to ride and serve as bent ambassadors. Special thanks go to Dianna Fain who came out just to cheer us on.

Hope we can get an even better turn out for next year.

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2017, 9:45am by Patti »  
  IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Mar 7th, 2017, 12:51pm

Dallas Park and Recreation Senior Programming Coordinator Katie Cline sent me the following:

I am working on the results as we speak, yes for some reason my data base grouped some recumbents with standard. We are already looking forward to next year and have figured out ways to make it bigger and better. You will receive an email from me when results are ready and posted on line with a link to view them. Thanks for participating in the Senior Games

Katie

Katie,
Just wanted to send a BIG thank you for the Senior games cycling events on Saturday. and an even bigger thanks for including recumbents in this year's cycling competitions. Although the weather was not the best, it was very exciting to have the competition and I believe most of the participants had a very good time. While there were some glitches, I hope they can be used as a learning experience so the games can be held again next year.  
There was some confusion after the events on Saturday regarding the results, as several of us who had ridden recumbents were mistakenly included in the regular cycling categories. Some of us never knew our finish times and there was confusion over where some of the participants actually placed. Will the final results be posted some where so we can see the official times in the different events?  

Thanks again to everyone who helped put the games together. Already looking forward to next year.

Patti Erickson

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print