Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 24th, 2024, 1:45pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Converting Carbent To Tiller Steering (Read 5747 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Converting Carbent To Tiller Steering
Feb 17th, 2017, 10:52am

I've been bashing my shins on my Carbent high racer's Superman handle bar, since I bought it new in 2009. Progressively added spacers to the riser to raise the bar height, until my forward vision became somewhat blocked. As a result, I stopped riding the bike. A shame, since it's my lightest bike and best hill climber. Purchased a Metaphysic bike with tiller steering in 2016. No shin bashing and full forward vision on that bike. Recently, I started toying with the idea of converting the Carbent to tiller steering. Finally, decided to go ahead and do it. Ordered a Performer tiller assembly from RBR in Pennsylvania for a little over $100. The steerer tube on the bike's carbon fork presented a problem. I expected it to be fabricated of aluminum, but instead it was all carbon with a large minor diameter internal thread. Had to drill the thread out and ream the ID with a Harbor Freight reamer to get an expanding plug star nut to fit the inside of the steerer tube. Was going to leave the steerer tube its original length, so the steering conversion would be reversible, but the steerer tube wall was so thin, decided to cut the steerer tube shorter for safety's sake. Used a 60 mm carbon headset spacer between the headset and steering block. Rode the bike on yesterday's Clown ride to test the conversion. Shallow learning curve, since I'm used to the tiller steering on my Meta bike. Really pleased with the result - no shin bashing, and I can see where I'm going.

Carbent with stock superman bar

Carbent's stock open cockpit

Carbent with tiller steering

Carbent's closed cockpit. Replaced the old ICE headrest with ICE's latest version. Also, installed an ICE tail light mount adapter.

Email   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Re: Converting Carbent To Tiller Steering
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2017, 11:01am

If you need to adopt any kids to help spend all that cash you have laying around, I promise not to use a surrey again.

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2017, 1:25pm

Quote from JimFPU on Feb 17th, 2017, 11:01am:
If you need to adopt any kids to help spend all that cash you have laying around, I promise not to use a surrey again.

Four kids times $256,000, each, to get them to age 18. No can do.  Cheesy  

Hey, when are you going to visit and do Kenny's Lancaster Airshow ride with us again?

Jim FPU and Kenny J, post airshow ride.

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2017, 10:29pm

Quote from jayg on Feb 17th, 2017, 10:52am:
Carbent's closed cockpit. Replaced the old ICE headrest with ICE's latest version. Also, installed an ICE tail light mount adapter.
This ought to be fun.  More convenient, to be sure, I can't wait to see you on it.  Do you think your performance numbers will be enhanced, at least slightly, for the more aero position?   Smiley

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2017, 9:22am

Quote from Action Lad on Feb 17th, 2017, 10:29pm:
Quote from jayg on Feb 17th, 2017, 10:52am:
This ought to be fun.  More convenient, to be sure, I can't wait to see you on it.  Do you think your performance numbers will be enhanced, at least slightly, for the more aero position?   Smiley

Don't have much performance left to enhance. All I know for sure is my shins feel a lot better.  Cheesy

The tiller assembly presents less area to the air stream than did the open cockpit assembly, but the trade off is that my arms are now exposed to the air stream (but tucked into my sides). With the open cockpit assembly my arms were straight out. Really hard to make a performance comparison. A lot of high performance high and low racers are equipped with tiller steering, so maybe it does provide an aero advantage.

Email   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2017, 8:10pm

Quote from jayg on Feb 17th, 2017, 1:25pm:
Quote from JimFPU on Feb 17th, 2017, 11:01am:

Four kids times $256,000, each, to get them to age 18. No can do.  Cheesy

Hey, when are you going to visit and do Kenny's Lancaster Airshow ride with us again?

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af339/jayg_2010/DSC00619.jpg

Jim FPU and Kenny J, post airshow ride.

What fun that was, will have to figure out how some year. VA is a long drive for a one day ride. Of course my velo does have its own top...

« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2017, 10:59am by JimFPU »  

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2017, 7:14pm

Quote from jayg on Feb 18th, 2017, 9:22am:
A lot of high performance high and low racers are equipped with tiller steering...
Notably, the venerable NoCom.
(Oh be still, my heart!)

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2017, 8:20pm

Jay, i am with you on tiller steering. I banged my knees bloody with the superman bars on the Musashi. The guy I bought the Baron from wants my Musashi, but with superman bars. Would you want to sell the ones that came off your Carbent?

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Feb 22nd, 2017, 8:56pm

Quote from jrob_bent on Feb 22nd, 2017, 8:20pm:
Jay, i am with you on tiller steering. I banged my knees bloody with the superman bars on the Musashi. The guy I bought the Baron from wants my Musashi, but with superman bars. Would you want to sell the ones that came off your Carbent?

Jerry,

I want to keep the superman assembly for when I sell the Carbent way down the road, and the buyer prefers that type of steering. I do happen to have the original handlebar (A wide Bacchetta bar)  I took off the bike when I replaced it with a wider RANS bar. I would be willing to part with it, but you would still need the other steering components.  

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Feb 23rd, 2017, 6:04am

What would you want for the handle bar? I have a stem for it.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Feb 23rd, 2017, 7:28pm

Quote from jrob_bent on Feb 23rd, 2017, 6:04am:

I have a box it will fit in. Just pay the shipping cost and it's yours. PM me your address, if you want it.  

The bar has the same reach as the stock Musashi bar, but is  is 65 mm narrower. Could be a leg interference problem when turning with it installed on your Musashi. The reason I removed it from my Carbent is that I experienced leg interference when I replaced the stock bar end shifters with trigger shifters. I wound up installing a wider RANS bar. That would be an alternative for you, if my Bacchetta bar wouldn't work.  

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Feb 23rd, 2017, 9:22pm

Quote from jayg on Feb 23rd, 2017, 7:28pm:

I have a box it will fit in. Just pay the shipping cost and it's yours. PM me your address, if you want it.

The bar has the same reach as the stock Musashi bar, but is  is 65 mm narrower. Could be a leg interference problem when turning with it installed on your Musashi. The reason I removed it from my Carbent is that I experienced leg interference when I replaced the stock bar end shifters with trigger shifters. I wound up installing a wider RANS bar. That would be an alternative for you, if my Bacchetta bar wouldn't work.

Thanks Jay. How about I just come to WRL next Tuesday and ride some and pick it up then? I have been wanting to ride with you guys for awhile anyway.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Feb 23rd, 2017, 9:31pm

Quote from jrob_bent on Feb 23rd, 2017, 9:22pm:
Quote from jayg on Feb 23rd, 2017, 7:28pm:

Thanks Jay. How about I just come to WRL next Tuesday and ride some and pick it up then? I have been wanting to ride with you guys for awhile anyway.

OK, see you next Tuesday.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Feb 24th, 2017, 6:32am

See you Tuesday.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Mar 5th, 2017, 8:11am

Jay, the handle bars worked out great. Thanks a heap!

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print