Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Mar 29th, 2024, 7:01am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike Sebring (Read 3416 times)
reever

rbent member

Bike Sebring
Feb 15th, 2017, 11:24am

Just got back from Sebring. WOW, what a race.Lines of recumbent teams whizzing past me. Schlitter v. Cruzbike....each having top of the line components just flying. The orange blossoms were in bloom--heaven on earth, as we spent miles and miles in the middle of huge fields on the 89 mile loop. Most of it was flat or rolling hills. There was one combination of three hills in a row--each higher than the previous--that brought me down to @6mph each time I hit them on the 11 mile loop.
I had originally signed up for the 24 hour event, but that was thinking the raceway would be lit up like a football field all night long. I had really sketchy lighting that would not have made it through the night, so I switched to the 12 hour race. I made 202.6 miles with 10 minutes to go until 12 hours. I kind of cruised slowly down the pit row each of the eight times I did the 11 mile loop--just enjoying having my daughter crewing for me. Yes, my youngest daughter flew in from Dallas to crew for me! If I had pushed it down pit row for each of the eight times I might have had time to make it one more loop around the 3.7 mile racetrack before the 12 hours was up.
If you guys ever get the opportunity to ride this thing, go for it!!! It is truly a classy race--well run off, with a history of great riders choosing to participate in it.

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Bike Sebring
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2017, 5:54pm

200 plus in the 12-hour? Nicely done!!!  And nice having your daughter there to help, and experience it with you!    Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2017, 6:52pm

+1 on that!  Smiley   Not that many hills in Florida.  Was kind of cruel to put them on the 11 mile loop.  How were the road surfaces?

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2017, 7:21pm

I did the 24-hour at Sebring, non-drafting, in 2010 on my Bacchetta. The 89 mile loop does indeed spend a lot of time cruising through the orange groves and the blooms filled the air with one of my favorite fragrances. That part of the route loops through the Florida hill country and there is some gentle climbing in that area. But the 11 mile section looping through the town of Sebring has decidedly more challenging hills - I distinctly remember that and was glad when sunset came and we could transition to the speedway course, which is flat, but dead dark when the sun sets!
200 miles on any course in 12 hours is a great time and a great distance achieved!

Email   IP Logged
Mdicke

rbent member

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2017, 8:16pm

200 WHAT??  Just near speechless.  Congrats!!!

Rans F5
Catrike 700
Specialized Allez (DF)
  IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2017, 9:15pm

I eeked out 202.6 miles in 11 hours 50 minutes--good enough to get third in the 60-64 age group. First, of course, was unobtainable since John Schlitter was in the race. I was just happy to be breathing the same oxygen as those high octane racers!

Speaking of being in the presence of greatness......I was able to join Amanda Coker's 100 mile club, riding with her in the Flatwoods State Park a few days before the race. When I say I rode with her, she actually lapped me three times in my 100 miles on a 7 mile course. Doing the math in my head--Amanda 121 miles while Jim does 100. She ended up with 235 miles that day......at over 20mph! I had always pictured her riding into the night to get her 235 miles, but get this--the park opens at 7AM and closes at 6PM! She gets all of her mileage in in 11 hours each day!!!!! What an animal!!!!

« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2017, 7:18pm by reever »  

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2017, 6:42am

I think you did a great job Reever. Did you get to meet Larry Oslund and Jim Parker. Maria Parker did 460 miles in 24 hours! Anyone who rides 12 or 24 hours are my heros.

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2017, 3:01pm

Yes, I did meet Jim Parker. He liked my van, so I gave him a tour. I did not get to meet Maria. Darnit! She is a special talent.

I noticed that in the middle of Amanda Coker's Highest Annual Mileage Record attempt she is going to attempt to set the Highest Monthly Mileage Record sometime soon. As it is she is logging around 7000 miles a month!!! Lord only knows how many miles she can rack up in a month if she actually tries.

Someone asked how the roads were at Sebring. They were all smooth, but there were some that had no shoulder, and there was a really rough railroad crossing on the 11 mile loop that I had to cross 8 times.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2017, 7:13am

If I can stay healthy and injury free, I hope to do the century at Sebring next year. I am not a 12 hour person at all. Actually, i prefer 10 and 20 k's, but would like to try a flat, fast century. Reever, would you be interested in going to Northbrook, IL in mid-July? Larry Oslund and several more from Sebring are suppose to be there this year.

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #9 - Feb 25th, 2017, 9:16am

I don't know jrob. I know I'm going to be in Ohio sometime this summer. Gotta go see my one year old grandson who is already starting ride his own three wheeler!!!

I'm still hoping that someone will take over Calvin's Challenge in Ohio. It was a really great 12 hour race, but the guy who ran it off for years got wrung out and had to give it up.

« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2017, 2:40pm by reever »  

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print