Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 19th, 2024, 2:34pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
700 wheel recommendation for cattrike 700 (Read 2374 times)
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

700 wheel recommendation for cattrike 700
Dec 16th, 2016, 5:11pm

Ok, so today I managed to destroy the stock velocity A23 on my 700, it's a painful story so I'm not gonna share it cuz I was stupid Smiley. Good news is only the rim was destroyed everything else is in tact and reusable.

I'm now in the market for a replacement and am interested in going tubeless.  I have done no research at all so I'm asking for your ideas, research and recommendations.  If you can't recommed tubeless then do you have a recommendation other than the A23?  I have a Veulta Corsa lite but am not sure that is a good fit.  My concern is I recall reading somewhere the torque placed on the 700 rear wheel is significant thus my concern in just jumping out there and buying a rim.

One recommendation I have is a stans grail and I would probably run schwalbe one on whatever rim I buy.

I need to get this done soon as I tend to ride the trike more in the cold, wet, wind than the summer months.  I have a loaner on it now so I'm not grounded but do need to return it pretty soon.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Re: 700 wheel recommendation for cattrike 700
Reply #1 - Dec 16th, 2016, 11:27pm

You might look at the WTB Frequency cyclocross rim. I don't have this one personally, but I've got the KOM on my XStream and have been happy with it.

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Dec 19th, 2016, 10:36am

Quote from Phantom Rider on Dec 16th, 2016, 5:11pm:
Ok, so today I managed to destroy the stock velocity A23 on my 700, it's a painful story so I'm not gonna share it cuz I was stupid Smiley.  

Do share -- cautionary tales help prevent others from doing the same....  Wink

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #3 - Dec 19th, 2016, 1:36pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Dec 19th, 2016, 10:36am:
Quote from Phantom Rider on Dec 16th, 2016, 5:11pm:
Ok, so today I managed to destroy the stock velocity A23 on my 700, it's a painful story so I'm not gonna share it cuz I was stupid Smiley.  

Do share -- cautionary tales help prevent others from doing the same....  Wink

It's amazing at times how dumb things happen.

I purchased a new CO2 valve(Pro Form)with a steel valve on it allowing one to open and close the release of a CO2 canister.  I decided I needed to test it before being in a situation where I would need it.  Not giving any thought I placed the valve in the closed position and attached a canister.  Screwed the new device onto the tube and released some of the gas before closing the valve.  The trike was hanging from the ceiling and my wife said something to me, I turned to see what she said when I heard a very loud explosion.  After assessing our situation and making sure she was ok I realized what had happened.  Apparently either I didn't close the valve or the valve is faulty because it blew out the tube but didn't damage the tire.  Shortly thereafter I changed the tube and noticed the wheel was badly out of true.  I called Bonzai cyclewerx to see if they could true it for me and headed to the shop.  When Brian placed it in the stand he turned and asked what did you do to this rim?  After telling my story he showed me the rim was destroyed as you could see and feel several indentations where the tube had exploded.  I was shocked as I never expected so much force from the air pressure could cause that.  Brian explained to me(like he always does) that I should have released the air from the tube before doing this and told me of an experience he once had.  He had tried the same thing with a Mavic wheel except the aluminum actually ripped about 6 inches.

Lesson learned! And now I'm waiting on a new A23OC rim to come in and will run tubeless on the trike.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #4 - Dec 19th, 2016, 3:19pm

You obviously need to start running cheaper tires that will give before the wheel does!   Smiley

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - Dec 20th, 2016, 10:56am

Explosive pressure release along with sub-freezing temperature (CO2)...  it's magic!!!! Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #6 - Dec 29th, 2016, 1:46pm

The decision is made and mounted.  Purchased a velocity A23OC and a Schwlabe Pro One tubeless tire.  Picked them up yesterday and mounted on the trike this morning.  I have been ill since Sunday and unable to do anything but today I could no longer stand to be trapped in the house and had to do something.  I went to the garage, mounted the new wheel and took off down the park trail and quickly realized that I probably shouldn't have done that, difficulty breathing and hacking and nose running quickly sent me scurrying back to the house.  

I did manage to get 3 miles in and could feel the difference in the ride, looking forward to really putting her on the road now and see how big the difference really is.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #7 - Dec 29th, 2016, 10:22pm

Quote from Phantom Rider on Dec 29th, 2016, 1:46pm:
The decision is made and mounted.  Purchased a velocity A23OC and a Schwlabe Pro One tubeless tire.

You'll like the A23 rim, but the Schwalbe Pro One tires don't wear well at all. The Schwalbe One is a much tougher tire. I didn't realize the difference, and accidentally bought a set of Pro Ones rather than Ones earlier this year, and including the one that Schwalbe warranty replaced, I got less than 700 miles out of each of the three tires.

« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2016, 10:23pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print