Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Mar 29th, 2024, 10:01am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Aero helmet for recumbent???? (Read 7107 times)
reever

rbent member

Aero helmet for recumbent????
Dec 16th, 2016, 3:40pm

I don't know if this has been discussed here on the forum before or not, but Santa is looking for something to give me this year that is bike related. I'm wanting to make the trip to Sebring, Florida in February for the 24 hours of Sebring race. Do you guys n gals think an aero helmet would be a benefit on a recumbent, or would the tail be pointing down and cause more drag than a regular helmet? Anybody heard of any wind tunnel testing of helmets for recumbents? I wouldn't think there would be too much of an advantage for anything under 100 miles, but 24 hours??? It might get me a half mile or two....
Oh yes, and if anyone has come across a good one (that isn't too pricey), what kind is it--brand name????

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Re: Aero helmet for recumbent????
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2016, 12:20am

A lot of us seem to like the Giro Air Attack Shield ones ..  It "looks" a little more areo and there is some testing for uprights -- but I don't think there's been science for recumbent done.   It also has a nice interchangeable eyesshield arrangement that I prefer as I hated to fight with my glasses during hot rides.  

http://a.co/ipiYx5t  

Quote from reever on Dec 16th, 2016, 3:40pm:
I don't know if this has been discussed here on the forum before or not, but Santa is looking for something to give me this year that is bike related. I'm wanting to make the trip to Sebring, Florida in February for the 24 hours of Sebring race. Do you guys n gals think an aero helmet would be a benefit on a recumbent, or would the tail be pointing down and cause more drag than a regular helmet? Anybody heard of any wind tunnel testing of helmets for recumbents? I wouldn't think there would be too much of an advantage for anything under 100 miles, but 24 hours??? It might get me a half mile or two....
Oh yes, and if anyone has come across a good one (that isn't too pricey), what kind is it--brand name????

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2016, 7:32am

The standard DF time trial helmet points down in back due to your recline...  I think Greg Gross tried one at the TTTT one year, not sure how well it worked, or what he had to do to it. Obviously, you're looking to have a helmet that minimizes the "open clamshell" profile to the wind.

I like my Lazer 02 - I can angle it down somewhat, and it doesn't have the adjustment knob down low in the back, hitting the headrest.  However, I don't know of any "recumbent specific" helmets out there.  Looking at photos of distance racers like Maria or others, I don't think they try to do much special to minimize helmet angle.

Here's Lynn on her Musashi, with the Air Attack helmet Doug mentioned above:

Here's me at HHH, on the Xstream, alongside Doug - note that Doug sits somewhat more upright in the Velo:

By contrast, here's Kent Polk from a couple years ago, laid out at about 10 degrees...  that reclined, I don't think there's much you can do about helmet angle!

Here's Maria Parker, in a marketing photo, for a bit of bike cheesecake     Cheesy

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2016, 11:20am

Nice pics, Paul.  Doug's use of the Air Attack in the velo is more for his stated reasons.  Experience tells me Paul's visor is the opposite of aero under some conditions.  And Kent and Lynn's pictures suggest an aero treatment of the headrest might be more effective than anything you could do with the helmet (besides a face shield).

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2016, 1:04pm

Standard setup helmets work fine so long as it won't rub the tire. But honestly the giro shield is the way to go. It's what I use now.  Unless you want zero air flow, in which case the expensive casco is the best.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2016, 8:47pm

Quote from aikigreg on Dec 18th, 2016, 1:04pm:
Standard setup helmets work fine so long as it won't rub the tire. But honestly the giro shield is the way to go. It's what I use now.  Unless you want zero air flow, in which case the expensive casco is the best.
Whoa!  The Casco Reevu has a built in rear view mirror!  Very slick. Heavy sweaters, (like me), need not apply, I'm sure.   undecided

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2016, 8:24am

I'm overseas and have been riding with a demo Casco Speedaero RS.   I think its actually got better airflow than the Giro .. but its also stupid expensive at about $450 shipped into the US
the Photocromatic visor is nice but I don't think it would be dark enough for our texas summers.  

Quote from Action Lad on Dec 18th, 2016, 8:47pm:
Whoa!  The Casco Reevu has a built in rear view mirror!  Very slick. Heavy sweaters, (like me), need not apply, I'm sure.   undecided

Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2016, 8:51am

Casco REEVU........REEVER likes the name of that.........but not the price.

Thank you guys for your advice, information, and pictures!

« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2016, 8:55am by reever »  

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Dec 19th, 2016, 1:50pm

Quote from MrWizard on Dec 19th, 2016, 8:24am:
I'm overseas and have been riding with a demo Casco Speedaero RS.   I think its actually got better airflow than the Giro .. but its also stupid expensive at about $450 shipped into the US
the Photocromatic visor is nice but I don't think it would be dark enough for our texas summers.

Now that looks like something I can wear.  My head, whether on the bike or trike, is tilted back a bit to keep my breathing airway as clear as possible.  This is the first shield-type helmet glass that doesn't seem to be open at the bottom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlDzBt4Vw10&t=62s 
Then there is the cost thing.  Won't be getting one soon.   cry

IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #9 - Dec 19th, 2016, 9:11pm

As a sucker for technology and a self-professed (confessed?) impulse buyer, I'm bringing this demo unit home with me.  At least if you want to see how it fits you can try it on ..  

Quote from Action Lad on Dec 19th, 2016, 1:50pm:
Quote from MrWizard on Dec 19th, 2016, 8:24am:

Now that looks like something I can wear.  My head, whether on the bike or trike, is tilted back a bit to keep my breathing airway as clear as possible.  This is the first shield-type helmet glass that doesn't seem to be open at the bottom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlDzBt4Vw10&t=62s 
Then there is the cost thing.  Won't be getting one soon.   cry

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Dec 20th, 2016, 3:18pm

Quote from MrWizard on Dec 19th, 2016, 9:11pm:
As a sucker for technology and a self-professed (confessed?) impulse buyer, I'm bringing this demo unit home with me.  At least if you want to see how it fits you can try it on ..  

Smiley

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #11 - Dec 21st, 2016, 12:02pm

Nice design, but the aerodynamic flow is still designed with the bent-over racing DF rider in mind...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
artcat

rbent member

Reply #12 - Dec 21st, 2016, 6:25pm

I love my giro attack helmet.  I don't know about it's aerodynamic advantage except I have many memories of the wind catching my helmet's visor and blowing it back. The Giro never does that.

Green Musashi
Bachetta Corsa SS
Black Catrike 700
  IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Dec 21st, 2016, 7:21pm

Quote from artcat on Dec 21st, 2016, 6:25pm:
I love my giro attack helmet.  I don't know about it's aerodynamic advantage except I have many memories of the wind catching my helmet's visor and blowing it back. The Giro never does that.
Exactly my point, not just with visors, but with the area below whatever glasses, goggles, or shields are in the disscussion, with my back-farther-than-average head position.

IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #14 - Dec 21st, 2016, 9:51pm

I'm such a cheapskate......I settled for a $40 Giro Foray. It looks halfway aero and it's bright yellow. I may have to alter it to accommodate my laid back head position, but EVERYTHING gets altered in my world.

Email   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #15 - Dec 22nd, 2016, 7:17am

You know in the velo, I just don't wear a helmet. And I found that people steer further clear of me when I don't have the helmet on when riding the 700. Funny how car drivers seem to complain that they can't see us, but know if we're wearing a helmet or not. It seems they can get closer if we're wearing a helmet? Makes no sense at all.

Now the Giro helmet does look cool for bents if I ever get to the point I want to wear one again...

This reminds me of all the motorcycle helmet discussions from when I was a kid in the 70's...and we didn't wear helmets when we were being Evil Knievil either!!

« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2016, 7:18am by JimFPU »  

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #16 - Dec 22nd, 2016, 10:40am

A helmet isn't really needed in a velo -- though this is a hotly debated topic (no pun intended)    However I still ride with one for a couple of reasons ..  first is that the tee shirt rides still basically require it (as do any organized rides or tours) and I really don't feel like debating the issue with someone that has the power to just say no) and therefore I might as well get used to it.   And second .. which is clearly more subjective .. kids see you ..   I feel like an example needs to be set as they literally boil out of schools or churches to come see you when you roll up  and setting an example for *them* to wear a helmet where it does matter is possibly worth it.  

Quote from JimFPU on Dec 22nd, 2016, 7:17am:
You know in the velo, I just don't wear a helmet. And I found that people steer further clear of me when I don't have the helmet on when riding the 700. Funny how car drivers seem to complain that they can't see us, but know if we're wearing a helmet or not. It seems they can get closer if we're wearing a helmet? Makes no sense at all.

Now the Giro helmet does look cool for bents if I ever get to the point I want to wear one again...

This reminds me of all the motorcycle helmet discussions from when I was a kid in the 70's...and we didn't wear helmets when we were being Evil Knievil either!!

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #17 - Dec 26th, 2016, 3:56pm

You might find you need it if you get hot by something big or roll over.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #18 - Dec 27th, 2016, 10:01am

Thats what the hood built into the velo is for ..   The helmet under the hood is redundant, kind of like wearing one in your car.   -- though when you ride without the hood, like I do most days  the helmet is a little more useful   Wink

Quote from aikigreg on Dec 26th, 2016, 3:56pm:
You might find you need it if you get hot by something big or roll over.

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #19 - Dec 31st, 2016, 1:03pm

1/8 inch of carbon against three tons of truck?  Not my head, but good luck with that.  I'm not liking those odds, having broken enough carbon in my cycling career

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #20 - Dec 31st, 2016, 7:49pm

In this hypothetical situation do ya think the survival odds increase appreciably with 1/8"  of Styrofoam and 1/64 of plastic coating added onto that?  

Quote from aikigreg on Dec 31st, 2016, 1:03pm:
1/8 inch of carbon against three tons of truck?  Not my head, but good luck with that.  I'm not liking those odds, having broken enough carbon in my cycling career

Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #21 - Jan 1st, 2017, 1:25pm

I kind of wear a helmet for those times when I hit a patch of sand and fall over. Any contact with a 6,000 pound beast and I'm toast. Just a fatalist--either they see me and won't grind me into the asphalt, or the texting high schooler or the person playing pokemon-go while driving  Angry Angry Angry will finish me off. A helmet is just dressing.

Email   IP Logged
Mdicke

rbent member

Reply #22 - Jan 1st, 2017, 5:33pm

Quote from reever on Jan 1st, 2017, 1:25pm:
I kind of wear a helmet for those times when I hit a patch of sand and fall over. Any contact with a 6,000 pound beast and I'm toast. Just a fatalist--either they see me and won't grind me into the asphalt, or the texting high schooler or the person playing pokemon-go while driving  Angry Angry Angry will finish me off. A helmet is just dressing.

Yep the helmet is only for protecting me against the stupid things I do or surprises on the road.  As Reever says contact with the four wheel hazards and the helmet is pretty much a moot point.

Rans F5
Catrike 700
Specialized Allez (DF)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print