Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 18th, 2024, 5:53pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
ICE 700c Sprint X fs (Read 18031 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: ICE 700c Sprint X fs
Reply #15 - Nov 27th, 2016, 11:44am

I also have a nice smaller bag, the Fastback Carbon Slim, which Brian Ball showed in his pictures of the Sprint X review on BROL...  nicely versatile velcro attachment that goes under the seatpad.  Picked it from T-Cycle.  Holds 2-3 tubes, wallet, keys, and phone, although there is no padding or pockets.  Not deep enough for a Road Morph pump.  

« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2016, 2:03pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #16 - Nov 27th, 2016, 4:47pm

Good looking trike, Paul!  The rough ride of the 700 is the reason I had a seatpad made for mine, Joe.  As an aside, even with little brake steer, hard braking at speed with one hand (as when your sweaty fingers slip off one lever) will take the trike sideways fast!  (Voice of experience.)

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #17 - Nov 27th, 2016, 5:00pm

Quote from rmillay on Nov 27th, 2016, 4:47pm:
Good looking trike, Paul!  The rough ride of the 700 is the reason I had a seatpad made for mine, Joe.  As an aside, even with little brake steer, hard braking at speed with one hand (as when your sweaty fingers slip off one lever) will take the trike sideways fast!  (Voice of experience.)

Don't want to hijack Paul's thread but sure would like to see some pics of that pad Bob.  Pad is probably much cheaper than a new trike.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #18 - Nov 27th, 2016, 6:48pm

..... even with little brake steer, hard braking at speed with one hand (as when your sweaty fingers slip off one lever) will take the trike sideways fast!  (Voice of experience.)

This machine has little to no noticeable brake steer, I'm very impressed...

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #19 - Nov 27th, 2016, 6:51pm

It appears to be ~15% slower than the Xstream, for similar effort.  I find myself going down the road at ~18, instead of ~21...  gonna have to work on that, to keep up on the GDB Mesquite and Airport rides...

Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #20 - Nov 27th, 2016, 10:40pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Nov 27th, 2016, 11:36am:
Quote from Action Lad on Nov 26th, 2016, 11:53pm:
Did you mention the weight of the trike without the accessories, like water bottle, speedo, etc.?  Smiley

Whether I wore a Speedo or not wouldn't affect the weight significantly....   Smiley
So, what is the weight of the trike?

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #21 - Nov 27th, 2016, 10:49pm

Specs say starting weight of 37 - with all the options I put on it (front suspension. rear suspension, disc parking brake, headrest, etc, and adding pedals) this one comes in at 43...  I may remove the disc parking brake and rear rotor, to drop about a pound.  Another thing that bumps the weight up a bit is the folding hinge feature.

« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2016, 2:19pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #22 - Nov 30th, 2016, 9:15am

I've removed the rear BB7 disc parking brake and rotor -- serious overkill...

rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #23 - Dec 2nd, 2016, 4:29pm

Quote from Phantom Rider on Nov 27th, 2016, 5:00pm:

Don't want to hijack Paul's thread but sure would like to see some pics of that pad Bob.  Pad is probably much cheaper than a new trike.  

No pic handy, but I just had a friend sew up something like a seat-sized pillowcase out of polypro outdoor cloth.  I stuffed it with a 1" fiber pad (a thicker open cell foam pad could be used). and sewed it up.  Alternately, you could inquire about the pad that comes on the 559, or the Dumont.  Also the plastic mesh pads some of the Bacchetta riders use come in lots of different sizes.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #24 - Dec 2nd, 2016, 6:15pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Nov 27th, 2016, 10:49pm:
The VTX is strictly aluminum, without folding.

Paul, the VTX has a 7005 T6 aluminum boom and rear section and a 4130 chromoly steel cruciform, as does the Sprint X. There's a slip joint under the VTX's seat that allows the rear section to be removed from the cruciform.  

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #25 - Dec 3rd, 2016, 2:19pm

Quote from jayg on Dec 2nd, 2016, 6:15pm:

Paul, the VTX has a 7005 T6 aluminum boom and rear section and a 4130 chromoly steel cruciform, as does the Sprint X. There's a slip joint under the VTX's seat that allows the rear section to be removed from the cruciform.  

Ah, my mistake -- of course that's true!  Same as the Sprint....   lips sealed

Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #26 - Dec 4th, 2016, 4:54pm

Okay, Jay, I think you answered this last summer on the way into, or out of Braum's, but why in the whole world would they make the trikes of two different, and potentially tragically different, metals?   Smiley

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #27 - Dec 4th, 2016, 7:24pm

Quote from Action Lad on Dec 4th, 2016, 4:54pm:

Okay, Jay, I think you answered this last summer on the way into, or out of Braum's, but why in the whole world would they make the trikes of two different, and potentially tragically different, metals?   Smiley

I'm guessing that ICE uses 4130 for it's trikes' cruciforms, because fabrication is easier, and steel tubing provides a better ride than thicker and larger diameter aluminum tubing that would be required. Also, steel performs much better in fatigue than aluminum.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #28 - Dec 5th, 2016, 11:09am

Quote from jayg on Dec 4th, 2016, 7:24pm:

I'm guessing that ICE uses 4130 for it's trikes' cruciforms, because fabrication is easier, and steel tubing provides a better ride than thicker and larger diameter aluminum tubing that would be required. Also, steel performs much better in fatigue than aluminum.

I would assume the same - the cruciform handles most of the vertical stresses, so stronger and less brittle material is a good thing.. especially if one weighs 50% more than Jay!!!   Wink

rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #29 - Dec 5th, 2016, 8:52pm

Presumably, the problem with differential electromotive properties in different metals is supposed to be addressed with thorough paint coverage of the adjacent parts, possibly including a gasket (Jay?)  Any little breach in this protection, however, can start the corrosive chemical reactions that occur between unlike metals.  We cyclists may be too demanding of our hardware to prevent this.  We could ride our trikes gently, on sunny days, and wash them with damp cloths, but we still rely on good warranties like ICE's.  If Jay or Craig is not satisfied with this, some of us would be glad to take them, cheap!   Smiley

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print