Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Mar 29th, 2024, 2:50am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sea Gull Century (Salisbury, MD) (Read 1041 times)
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Sea Gull Century (Salisbury, MD)
Oct 12th, 2016, 1:20pm

Finished my first century, second attempt at one. My first was the 2012 HHH, in which I did 91 miles on a Stratus XP XL. The Sea Gull Century out of Salisbury, MD in completed.  

My review: I enjoyed the Seagull Century. It was great to meet up with 4 other velos and at least start off in a 'pod'. The ride was well organized, but for my rookie ride, I missed some of the things that you're 'supposed' to do on the SC (pie and ice cream, and other such goodies that maybe I just didn't know to look for.)  

I wanted to complete the century, but I did not train for it (note to self and others: bad idea). But no matter, I had a 'flat' route and I knew I could do it...but it just might be slower than the rest, which for the most part I'm good with as I've always been the slower rider in my groups.

One thing that stood out to me after I finished and had time to process everything: a 'flat' route does not necessarily mean an easy route. I found that a flat route does not give a chance for an occasional rest on the downhills! At my current riding level, I look forward to those free blasts of speed and distance the Quest gives me on a downhill. The one significant downhill was coming into and back out of the Assateague park with the big bridge over the water. On my way back out after a break, climbing the bridge my right leg cramped and I could not take advantage of the super fast downhill burst with pedaling...I merely coasted down the other side while rubbing my leg the whole mile or so I coasted! Thankfully the aerodynamics helped there, as at least I was still moving forward.  

Overall, it was a fun challenging ride. It was my goal to complete the assigned course, and I did. It was not a complete century, but it was the furthest I've even gone in one sitting.  

Best part for me was seeing my wife cheering me at the end!

Per my Garmin:
 97.43 miles
 Total time 7:59:19
 Moving time 6:08:54
 Average moving 15.8 MPH
 Max speed 27.3 MPH

Now time for some necessary maintenance as I need a new chain and some other work (changing to bar end shifters), changing the rear tire to a Durano like the fronts, new cables, and checking everything else...I think I still might need a new rear axle as I did hear a little squeaking a few times. Probably need to look at the brakes and front bearing as well, since this velo has over 20,000 miles on it, and I'm the 3rd owner...so I suspect some things are in need of attention. Looking forward to having some home projects finished so I can actually get out and ride some more...maybe I can find someone who wants to ride with me that I won't drag down soon enough. Must train more. Also need to figure out how to lose some weight (both me and the velo!!) I'm going to try to weigh the Quest (bathroom version) and see really how much it weighs. I'm very curious...  

« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2016, 1:23pm by JimFPU »  

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print