Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Mar 29th, 2024, 10:11am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tttt (Read 1881 times)
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Tttt
Sep 23rd, 2016, 8:55pm

greetings from the Wild West.  Warm and muggy here, with plenty of flies.  Have started 500 and 24 hr races.  One Carbontrike in 500.  A Schlitter dropped out of 500, but has re-entered the 24.  Don't have names with me, but didn't recognize riders.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Re: Tttt
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2016, 1:06pm

I'm back, after braving 67 in the dark, with no road markings in the construction zone and winding up going the wrong way after an unmarked split!  We got our rain Saturday for about three minutes--not enough to leak through our temporary coverings.

The recumbent news is sparse, and was remarked upon.  In the 500 mile race Bruce Hermann surprised the race directors by showing up with a Carbontrikes trike (fitted with aero wheel covers).  He went out slowly, however, and after a 1:59 first lap, he slowed down (he should have lost the flag).  He quit after 12 laps in 28:58 (2:24 per lap), or 318 miles.  I contemplated confiscating his trike for misuse, but he was bigger than I, and obviously not too tired.  The other entrant was Alan Johnson, a 60-year-old on what looked like a tricked out CA 2.0  He only managed six laps in 13:18, or about 2:09 per lap.  

There were 20 entrants in the 500, and 14 finishers.  Overall winners were the team Three Dicks and a Chick, who took 27:00 to smash the mixed team record (the chick had just started chemo for breast cancer the week before!), and Andrew Willis, a forty-something, who took 28:20, more than three hours less than the second place soloist.  

23 entrants were jammed into the 24 hour event.  Sarah Cooper managed 16 laps, or 424 miles, to shatter the old women's record, not to mention beating everyone else.  Good ol' Dan talked Alan Johnson into switching to the 24 hours, but he only managed about 4:40 per lap to finish five laps.

The 12 hour had 24 entrants.  Another CA 2.0 (if I recall correctly) carried David Towns (65-69 age group) 4 laps before he stopped for 106 miles.  He was averaging 2:34 a lap.  The winner was Jon Isom with 8 laps.

Things started looking up for the dark side, when Rick Putich won on a CA 2.0.  He got in a little more than 4 laps, over 106 miles.  He got my admiration when he wrested his Brain Bag off the back of his seat and dumped it so his crew could replace it with a fresh one--all while he was still moving!  Second was a woman, Carol Ambuhl, with just under 4 laps, about 105 miles.

In the one lap race, Steven Olsen was going for the 'bent record on a bright blue custom mid-racer resembling RatRider's Apache.  He made it in 1:11:22, over a minute faster than the record, and good for second over-all.  First was Tyrone Dunson in 1:09:55.  33 bikes were in the sprint, with riders from under 15 to over 75.  And the races wrapped up in daylight, in time for all us time keepers to eat with everyone else!

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2016, 3:52pm

Sorry I couldn't be there, I had planned on doing the 24 with the carbontrike.   Don't mind the hills, but those roads were awful last year,  did they get any better?

Quote from rmillay on Sep 25th, 2016, 1:06pm:
I'm back, after braving 67 in the dark, with no road markings in the construction zone and winding up going the wrong way after an unmarked split!  We got our rain Saturday for about three minutes--not enough to leak through our temporary coverings.

The recumbent news is sparse, and was remarked upon.  In the 500 mile race Bruce Hermann surprised the race directors by showing up with a Carbontrikes trike (fitted with aero wheel covers).  He went out slowly, however, and after a 1:59 first lap, he slowed down (he should have lost the flag).  He quit after 12 laps in 28:58 (2:24 per lap), or 318 miles.  I contemplated confiscating his trike for misuse, but he was bigger than I, and obviously not too tired.  The other entrant was Alan Johnson, a 60-year-old on what looked like a tricked out CA 2.0  He only managed six laps in 13:18, or about 2:09 per lap.  

There were 20 entrants in the 500, and 14 finishers.  Overall winners were the team Three Dicks and a Chick, who took 27:00 to smash the mixed team record (the chick had just started chemo for breast cancer the week before!), and Andrew Willis, a forty-something, who took 28:20, more than three hours less than the second place soloist.

23 entrants were jammed into the 24 hour event.  Sarah Cooper managed 16 laps, or 424 miles, to shatter the old women's record, not to mention beating everyone else.  Good ol' Dan talked Alan Johnson into switching to the 24 hours, but he only managed about 4:40 per lap to finish five laps.

The 12 hour had 24 entrants.  Another CA 2.0 (if I recall correctly) carried David Towns (65-69 age group) 4 laps before he stopped for 106 miles.  He was averaging 2:34 a lap.  The winner was Jon Isom with 8 laps.

Things started looking up for the dark side, when Rick Putich won on a CA 2.0.  He got in a little more than 4 laps, over 106 miles.  He got my admiration when he wrested his Brain Bag off the back of his seat and dumped it so his crew could replace it with a fresh one--all while he was still moving!  Second was a woman, Carol Ambuhl, with just under 4 laps, about 105 miles.

In the one lap race, Steven Olsen was going for the 'bent record on a bright blue custom mid-racer resembling RatRider's Apache.  He made it in 1:11:22, over a minute faster than the record, and good for second over-all.  First was Tyrone Dunson in 1:09:55.  33 bikes were in the sprint, with riders from under 15 to over 75.  And the races wrapped up in daylight, in time for all us time keepers to eat with everyone else!

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2016, 8:31pm

Didn't ride it myself.  Feedback indicated it was about the same.  A large pothole did get filled the day before the race.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2016, 11:45am

1:11 for 26 miles?  Impressive, on that course!!!!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print