Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 23rd, 2024, 5:20pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Goatneck July 30 (Read 4785 times)
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Goatneck July 30
Jul 18th, 2016, 7:14pm

Anybody going - saw where Easy Street will be there with a traveling road show.  I've never ridden this ride but have completed several rando rides in the area, scenery is beautiful from the top of those hills.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Goatneck July 30
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2016, 5:12pm

I may do Goatneck on my Bacchetta. I haven't signed up for it and haven't made a final decision, but if I do, it will be the longest option. Phantom Rider, are you planning on it? If you are, I can give you a heads up if I commit to it.

Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2016, 6:53pm

Seriously considering it, haven't committed yet.  If you decide to go please let me know, I too will ride the Bacchetta.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2016, 10:41pm

Barring getting sick between now and then, I'm going to do the ride. I'm also not dependent on you joining me, although I would welcome the company. I'm not going to sign up right now because it is the ACTIVE organization. I hsve used them before and I don't want to be on the hook for all the emails they send out. I will sign up morning of and that's a guarantee! Joe, I know you are much faster than I am so it isn't even necessary for us to ride together but that part is up to you!

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2016, 2:11pm

I hate active ..    In regards to those services, consider using Blur from Abine    https://dnt.abine.com    it lets you give them a 1-time email address, then throw it away when you are done.

I just got back into the states after 2.5 weeks of travel.. I've soooo missed my bike.    I might do this one but it will be slow as hotel workout bikes have been my only option for a while  

Quote from square_corners on Jul 25th, 2016, 10:41pm:
Barring getting sick between now and then, I'm going to do the ride. I'm also not dependent on you joining me, although I would welcome the company. I'm not going to sign up right now because it is the ACTIVE organization. I hsve used them before and I don't want to be on the hook for all the emails they send out. I will sign up morning of and that's a guarantee! Joe, I know you are much faster than I am so it isn't even necessary for us to ride together but that part is up to you!

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2016, 7:18am

Doug, hope to see both you and Joe there, in Cleburne. Doug, you may be slower after 2.5 weeks but I expect you won't be slow!

Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2016, 10:35am

I'm still on the fence but will make a decision by tomorrow.  Haven't done a pay ride in about 3 years, still trying to convince myself to pay $30 to ride on a road I already pay taxes to maintain.  God knows I don't need another T-Shirt Grin

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2016, 10:24am

I'm assuming you've decided against, so I won't look for you in the morning, Joe.

Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #8 - Jul 29th, 2016, 6:09pm

Sorry Daniel, knees are acting up so I'm staying close to home.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Jul 29th, 2016, 7:08pm

Quote from Phantom Rider on Jul 29th, 2016, 6:09pm:
Sorry Daniel, knees are acting up so I'm staying close to home.

Joe, I lived with knee problems for years, until I installed 150 mm cranks, which enabled me to adjust the booms on my recumbents so the angles of my knees were not less than 90 degrees at the beginning of the power strokes. Also, I use Eggbeater pedals, which provide more float than SPD pedals (My knees wouldn't tolerate SPD pedals). No more knee problems, so far. My X-seam is 41.5". Maybe short cranks would work for you.

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #10 - Jul 30th, 2016, 3:45am

Sorry I'm going to do the RBENT ride ..   I've been nursing a sinus infection since I got back into the states and I just don't feel like making the drive to ride ..    

Have fun, hope to see you guys soon on a ride somewhere.

Quote from square_corners on Jul 27th, 2016, 7:18am:
Doug, hope to see both you and Joe there, in Cleburne. Doug, you may be slower after 2.5 weeks but I expect you won't be slow!

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Jul 30th, 2016, 3:58pm

No problem at all that neither of you could make it (Doug and Joe). I had a blast doing the ride. Only saw one other bent rider on the 70 mile option. He was on a CA2 and it wasn't a good time to chat when I saw him. I finished the ride about 40 minutes ahead of the other CA2 rider and I was sitting at the Easy Street Kiosk having a slice of honeydew and chatting with the owner of Easy Street when I saw the other CA2 come in. That wasn't a good time to talk to him, either. In any case, I loved the ride. It's a great course for a recumbent if you love hills and I do. Had loads of fun passing almost every road bike on climbs as well as descents. Had a full 100 oz camelbak in the seat bag and that was all I needed - no cramping, no hunger, and no stops other than to address hot foot issues after Glen Rose. Had about half a bottle worth of cold water remaining in the camelbak, at the end. Final avg was 19.1 and top speed was 40. There was 2700 ft of climbing on this one.

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #12 - Jul 30th, 2016, 4:38pm

Sounds like a great time,  I'm sure the roadies were [im/de]pressed .. glad you could show one for the team!   How was the chipseal?  

Quote from square_corners on Jul 30th, 2016, 3:58pm:
No problem at all that neither of you could make it (Doug and Joe). I had a blast doing the ride. Only saw one other bent rider on the 70 mile option. He was on a CA2 and it wasn't a good time to chat when I saw him. I finished the ride about 40 minutes ahead of the other CA2 rider and I was sitting at the Easy Street Kiosk having a slice of honeydew and chatting with the owner of Easy Street when I saw the other CA2 come in. That wasn't a good time to talk to him, either. In any case, I loved the ride. It's a great course for a recumbent if you love hills and I do. Had loads of fun passing almost every road bike on climbs as well as descents. Had a full 100 oz camelbak in the seat bag and that was all I needed - no cramping, no hunger, and no stops other than to address hot foot issues after Glen Rose. Had about half a bottle worth of cold water remaining in the camelbak, at the end. Final avg was 19.1 and top speed was 40. There was 2700 ft of climbing on this one.

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Jul 30th, 2016, 7:42pm

There was pretty rough chip seal in places. The part of the route that encompasses the Texas Time Trial course had some of the roughest chipseal. Fortunately, it was interspersed with smoother sections. If I were doing a time trial out there this September, I wouldn't be happy with the road surface! But I will be in Ireland so maybe it will be smoothed out a little by 2017.

Email   IP Logged
sstexex

rbent member

Reply #14 - Jul 30th, 2016, 8:50pm

Quote from square_corners on Jul 30th, 2016, 3:58pm:

The CA 2.0 on the 70 was me!! I slowed way down when the temps went up.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print